Start by marking “Dali” as Want to Read:
Dali

Dali

Almost half Dalí's illustrations in this book have rarely been seen

This publication presents the entire painted oeuvre of Salvador Dalí (1904-1989). After many years of research, Robert Descharnes and Gilles Néret finally located all the paintings of this highly prolific artist. Many of the works had been inaccessible for years - in fact so many that almost half the illus

Published February 1st 1994 by Taschen (first published September 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Dali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dali

Benjamin Thomas
I don't pretend to have any great knowledge of art. I fall into that category of, "I know what I like when I see it" crowd. Having seen a few examples of Dali's work at various museums around the world, I tend to enjoy its boldness, vivid colors, and usually clear, almost picture-like clarity of images. But until reading this book (not just look at the pictures) I didn't realize just how much lay behind the limp watches, phallic symbols, and other famous images of his work.

I still can't decide i
Diane
I'm not a fan of Dali's art, but I can admire its unique and provocative beauty. I even like The Persistence of Memory for its strong symbolism. This book tells about Dali's life and gives the story behind many of his artistic creations.

Apparently, he was a very spoiled child who later became an adult with a constant need for attention and an overdeveloped ego. He also had a great love of money, so much that Andre Breton anagrammatically dubbed him “Avida Dollars” . He was strongly influenced b
Barry
Overall, pretty good. There's an excellent collection of Dali art (although not complete, which would be a feat in itself) and the picture quality is gorgeous. As far as the writing goes, it gets the job done. Sometimes the style gets a little self-indulgent and esoteric. In fact, it helps to know something about Surrealism and early 20th century art, since a lot of the writing hinges on (sometimes too deep a knowledge) of these topics. Regardless, you can a fair amount out of this book even if ...more
Dan Harris
Apr 12, 2016 Dan Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in Joshua Tree over the course of two days I absorbed this book. A fitting landscape for such an artist. The rain persisted, so I would often have hours on end where I could not photograph without harm to camera, and so I was allowed the secondary fortune of reading. I have read of no man so absurd as Dali - and I hope if he were still here, he would find this in the greatest of terms. The way he uses the English language to describe his work and philosophies is again, like no other. It is ...more
Roopa Dudley
Mar 13, 2014 Roopa Dudley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring Painters & Art Students
Recommended to Roopa by: Myself
I learned a lot about Salvador Dali's private and professional life as well as how he got into Surrealism from this book. I have always enjoyed books by Taschen and I have a whole book shelf of all my favorite artists in this series. This book is well written and the images are sharp and crisp. Having been to the Dali Museum a couple of times in Florida, I enjoyed reading about my favorite paintings in this book.
Stephen
Jun 11, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dug this up from my old art history days, published in 1985, and used to accompany the introductory forwards of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, illustrated by the Master and reprinted through Princeton University Press in 2015. While not a thorough history of Dali's life work, the book is a decent survey with nice color prints. Adequate enough, but missing the fine details of a true visual biography.
Briana
Oct 02, 2011 Briana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dali fans.
Recommended to Briana by: Secretmarsgirl
I did not read the text. I just skimmed through the book to check out the art. Dali is quite an enigma. I can't get into his style, but my husband really likes him. Not sure why. I don't see any appeal in this man's work =/ This artist must have been a haunted man. Or crazy. Or brilliant. Perhaps all three. That is the only explanation I have for his bizarre paintings.
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course it doesn't do justice to his massive amount of works in sculpture but it's an excellent collection of his paintings. My edition is translated by Eleanor R Morse and published by Abradale Press and has The Persistence of Memory on the cover.
Winston Blakely
May 25, 2014 Winston Blakely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dali is one the most fantastic artists ever known. A born salesman and enchanting storyteller
in his mastery of dreamscape or surrealism. MOMA in nyc had a great exhibition of his work
several years ago and it was totally worth it.
B. Doane
Nov 15, 2013 B. Doane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Very useful. A great way to see Dali's work and get inspired.
Majid Aldohan
Jun 02, 2011 Majid Aldohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating.
Taruia
Jul 24, 2011 Taruia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-photography
Good narrative and reproductions. Another good Taschen offering.
Tim Rudisill
Tim Rudisill rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Lahmacun Man
Lahmacun Man rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Catalin Nitu
Catalin Nitu rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Nazari
Nazari rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Klaus Geo
Klaus Geo rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Salman
Salman rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Mariana Prieto
Mariana Prieto rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Vera Cirlugea
Vera Cirlugea rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2017
Kjell
Kjell rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Kärt
Kärt rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Tomas Sanchez Gomez
Tomas Sanchez Gomez rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Jennefer karlie
Jennefer karlie rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
May1992
May1992 rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2017
Mutiarapoker
Mutiarapoker rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Allen Morse
Allen Morse rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
  • Bosch
  • Women Artists and the Surrealist Movement
  • Japanese Prints
  • Gaudi
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Art of Italian Renaissance