Start by marking “The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Wendy is a little witch who is afraid of her mean, bossy witch sisters--until one special Halloween night when she makes a magical discovery and outwitches her older sisters.
36 pages
Published 1978 by Educational Products

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches

Kathryn
This is a cute beginning reader perfect for Halloween! The youngest witch sister is afraid of her bossy older sisters until one special Halloween night when her sad state of staying home alone is turned into a night of friendship, fun, and an awakening of self-confidence!

While I didn't find anything particularly marvelous about the telling of the tale, it's still a good one for early reader if they want an nice, non-scary seasonal read. The illustrations, updated for this version by Jane Manning
Lauren Kramer
The Witch who was Afraid of Witches by Alice Low follows Wendy, a young witch who cannot seem to do anything right. Her oldest sister, Polly, knows everything. And Wog, her older sister, knows how to do everything. But Wendy has no witch power at all.

She also has another secret: she is afraid of witches! Wendy does not like to cackle or talk in a scary voice. And she cannot stand darkness.

Wendy begs her older sisters to teach her their witchy ways, but they refuse. Polly and Wog do not think tha
Edward Creter
This brilliant take on the classic Cinderella story has a witchy twist that'll have critics boil, boil in toil and trouble...and kids screaming for more (with delight, of course!) Wendy the Witch (Not to be confused with Wendy the Witch from the Caspar the Ghost comics) is not feeling terribly witchy. She can't seem to get it right. She doesn't have the infamous witch cackle, she can't fly a broomstick worth a frog's lick, and her two sisters Polly and Wog (polliwog, get it?) are no help at all. ...more
Arasani
THE WITCH WHO WAS AFRAID OF WITCHES

This book is about a girl who is a witch and is afraid of them because the witches are her sisters and treat her badly. They treat her like a servant and are unaware of here. Then one day they go out to scare some tricker treaters and tell her to turn the lights of and not let anybody in. But then one boy comes and knocks on the door the witch said that there is nobody home but still opens the door and then gets out of the house and goes to the boys house
for
Natalie
The Witch Who Was Afraid Of Witches is about a little witch who always got teased by the older witches. On Halloween she meets a young boy about her age that tells her she dosen't need to be afraid of being an actual witch. She realizes that the little boy is right and that she can't be afraid of her own kind.

She thanks the boy and they become best friends over time, they stay together when something scary happens, they know that they have eachother. The witch, Wendy, loves everything about her
Chelsea Merkley
joanna Sondheim
A higher level beginning reader, The Witch who was Afraid of Witches was originally published in 1978, and re-issued, with newer illustrations by Harper Collins in 1999. The book's appeal doesn't just stem from it's slightly scary and funny tale of a young witch who is afraid of her older, and meaner, witch sisters, but also for it's inclusion of chapters (perfect for the kid who is always insisting on checking out a chapter book, instead of something from the "little kid" section). Jane Manning ...more
Amanda
This is one of my favourite books from when I was a child. I still have my 1978 edition, and love reading it to my kids. I am partial to the original artwork of the book. ...more
Liz Dixon
I LOVED this book as a little girl. I'm pretty sure its one of the books that spurred my obsession with Halloween/Witches and all things festive.
Maria
I was surprised when I looked this book up to see that there are different versions with different artists. I like the art in my copy. It's not particularly sophisticated but I like the idea of witches wearing pink bloomers under their rbes. I would like to see other editions of this book at the library to see how having different art affects my perceptions of the book. I guess the publishers must have felt that the art wasn't serving the story. The story is about a witch who doesn't feel that s ...more
Sparklehooves
This book was amanita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morbus Iff
Recommended by J. Cute story of a young witch making her own rules in life.
Tiger Fur
by Jane Manning
Level 2 Book
The book has good pictures ,and it is about 3 witches that don’t get along. All of them think they’re better except Wendy . She knew her sisters are better than her . Will her sisters lose their powers? This book has some rhyme in it. This is a interesting book because it doesn’t have a theme. Most of the 6 and 5 year olds would like The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches.
Luann
A cute beginning chapter book (with pictures on every page, but more text than the average picture book) about a young witch who is afraid of other witches - including her two older sisters. This is an alternate version of a Cinderella story. Cute but not particularly memorable.
Tiah Keever
Kids liked it! We're revving up for Halloween and hit the bookstore today to pick up a couple and get ideas for books to look for at the library. There was a fun looking ABC Dia de los Muertes books that I wanted to get but we'll hope the library has it.
Shelli
The cover says this is an "Advanced Reader 4 book". However, I would say that it is a 3 at most. The story line was a not that great; but a good book to boost young reader confidence toward making the leap to chapter books.
Elizabeth S
A rather fun premise, but not as well done as I had hoped it would be. Kinda like the book was trying to go in too many directions. It ended up succeeding in one of the directions, but another was left hanging.
Andrea Wilkinson
Darling, clever book about a youngest sibling who finally gains confidence in her witch's powers...and also shows kindness to her mean, older witch sisters after first teaching them a lesson!
Anjanette Wold
My daughter loves this book. We have read it together a few times at her insistence. It's a classic underdog story about a little witch who finds herself despite her older siblings.
Clare K. R.
This is a really cute book for kids. It has a sweet, empowering story and lovely art. I would absolutely recommend it for any beginning readers who like witches!
I checked this book from the library. My daughter is almost 5 and starting to like chapter books. This one was fun and it had colorful pictures on every page.
Bates Library
Because she has two older sisters but then on Halloween she meets her friend and she figures out which spells she is really good at.sz
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
Cute children's book. Nothing that stands the test of time, but wasn't a bad read for my son and the illustrations are adorable.
D'Anne
Alternate title: The Witch Whose Sisters Were Bitches. Because, seriously. They were not nice.
Bri Clark
Chrissy my daughter who is 7 says the book is "fantastic and off the hook and a favorite."
Laura Komos
Two of my first graders recommended that I read this one after they thoroughly enjoyed it!
Miri
I loved this story, fun illustrations and a cute story make this a great read for Halloween time.
Heather
Great kids book to teach about differences and how those differences can be strengths.
Serena McGlashen
Q loved this book and wanted me to read it again and again.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Dj read this with his dad. They thought it was cute.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Pup (I Can Read Book Level 1)
  • Ghosts!: Ghostly Tales from Folklore
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Moira's Birthday
  • Froggy's Halloween
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Trapper (Serendipity)
  • A Promise Is A Promise
  • Halloween ABC
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Five Green and Speckled Frogs (Sing and Read Storybook)
  • Angelina's Halloween
Summer (Beginner Books) Aunt Lucy Went to Buy a Hat The Simon & Schuster Book of Greek Gods and Heroes Blueberry Mouse The Popcorn Shop