Start by marking “Adopting the Racing Greyhound” as Want to Read:
Adopting the Racing Greyhound

Adopting the Racing Greyhound

The first edition of this book was responsible for inspiring tens of thousands of people to adopt ex-racers. Now, this fully updated edition features groundbreaking veterinary information not available anywhere else. Greyhound authority Cynthia Branigan who has placed over 4,000 Greyhounds through her organization offers updated statistics on the costs involved with adopti ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Howell (TP) (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Adopting the Racing Greyhound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adopting the Racing Greyhound

David
Mar 16, 2014 David rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I might be getting a greyhound.

This author is more of the "Dogs are my children" school of thought than I am.

I probably won't be cooking for my dog.
Karina
Jul 11, 2015 Karina rated it really liked it
a reprint with more updated photos would be great. Otherwise, much of the info is useful.
Evelyn
Mar 21, 2015 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very basic book with information specific to retired racing greyhounds. There was a lot of very specific information about medical care that seemed superfluous given the "introductory" tone of the book - someone needing medical attention for their greyhound probably wouldn't use this book as a medical reference. Also a lot of information about how to keep the racing lifestyle through recreational coursing, which also seemed to have questionable value.
While the book was an interesting and relati
Jenny
Jun 22, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Most greyhound adoption organizations recommend this book, and it's no mystery why: it's filled with practical, useful information, written in clear prose, based on the author's extensive professional and personal experience with greyhounds. She has a sense of humor as well ("[Greyhounds] are watchdogs only in the sense that they will watch, but probably not act," p. 19).

There is also a picture of an adorable greyhound puppy on p. 48.

Racing injuries (p 51-52): a "spike" is when the toenail of o
Chelsea
Jun 20, 2016 Chelsea added it
Shelves: animals
Unfortunately my library only had the second edition, and I feel it was pretty dated as far as the critical information was concerned (medications, treatments, etc.) but the gist of it is good background knowledge. Much of it is just common sense dog ownership.

This is required reading for one of the rescue groups I'm considering working with, so I'm going to ask my fiancé to read it as well. Hopefully it will help give him a better understanding of their history which will make introducing one
Karen
Jun 20, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a very good primer book for adopting a greyhound and widely considered the bible for new greyhound owners. It combines fact-based research with personal anecdotes, so it's up to the reader whether that's what they are looking for. For me, the combination was helpful .

I've supplemented this book with "Greyhounds for Dummies," which is also a good source. But in general, I find Branigan's book to be the most reliable on this subject.
Austin
Mar 23, 2016 Austin rated it really liked it
We're thinking about getting a dog, so this book was a quick and informative read about the behavior and care of greyhounds, particularly retired racing greyhounds.

If you're reading the Kindle version, it's a lot shorter than you might think. The last 35% or so of the book is a list of adoption agencies.
Tina
Sep 21, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is recommended by many Greyhound rescue groups as it is considered "the bible of Greyhound adoption." And it is easy to see why, Branigan clearly knows and deeply cares about the breed. Great resource if you are considering Greyhound adoption. Definitely a book I will purchase if I do decide to adopt a Greyhound.
Joe Faust
A quick read with a history of the breed, details on the racing life, and peculiarities of the Greyhound. Also some good common sense stuff that can apply to any breed of dog.
Andrea
Mar 29, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Branigan is an expert! She is very informative and truly a reliable source -- as she has placed over 4,000 retired ex-racers into loving homes.
L.
Apr 29, 2014 L. rated it it was amazing
Super informative and well written. I feel so confident now this is the dog breed for me and my lifestyle.
Amber
Apr 22, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
This is a must read for anyone interested in adopting a greyhound. Excellent book. Very informative, and interesting.
Susan Reed
Sep 29, 2015 Susan Reed rated it really liked it
very interesting
Nichole
Oct 10, 2011 Nichole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read a hand-full of books on Greyhounds and this was absolutely the most useful and detailed one I found. It was well-organized, written simply and had great insight on exactly what sort of background these dogs come from when they transition from the track to a real home. I had never considered that they wouldn't be acquainted with stairs! Or that they were surrounded by piped in music at all hours and may be weirded-out by silence at first.
Kattie
Jun 04, 2008 Kattie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for most greyhound adoption groups. Some of the content is downright sad, but is necessary to understand the life a racing greyhound has led until the point they "retire". Some protection groups criticize the use of this book because they claim that Branigan is in bed with the racing industry, but the book is not written to support racing. It is a good, un-biased look at the lives of racing greyhounds.
Nov 11, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy reading these books, especially since these are some differing opinions about whether it is helpful or healthy to crate a retired racing greyhound. It has a lot more discussion on health specific things, such as common diseases and problems, rather than just relying on the Greyhounds for Dummies book which is great and helpful but still a discussion of daily issues, not the more unusual. Absolutely worth my read.
wueasa
Nov 11, 2008 wueasa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to wueasa by: Hampshire greyhound rescue
COUNTY STORE. Explains how to decide whether a Greyhound is the right dog. Covers everything from feeding and grooming to training to extending the dog’s life span. Helps prepare a Greyhound for the arrival of a new baby; decide whether or not to add a Greyhound to an existing pack of dogs; determine when to return an adopted dog. Information on medical conditions in Greyhounds.
Michele
Feb 09, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a first-time greyhound owner, I found this book extremely helpful and informative. We adopted our grey three weeks ago. We are bonding more each day, getting comfortable with each other more, and adjusting easily. Cynthia broke down ideas and how-tos that anyone (newby or old) can follow. I think it should be a must-read for any greyhound owner.
David
Aug 13, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, dog
This isn't really pleasure reading - more of an instruction manual for greyhounds. The four stars was for clarity, simplicity and thoroughness, rather than deathless prose. Greyhounds have some particular needs because of their physiology and bred instincts (being sight hounds) and this book is a readable resource on what you need to know.
Kathleen
Jun 07, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Quick read with good information. I especially appreciated the chapter "The Racing Life." I was curious about the life of our dog before we adopted her. Although the edition I read is 20 years old, this gave me a good picture of what her life was probably like.
Krysta
Jul 30, 2011 Krysta rated it really liked it
An interesting look into the life of a Greyhound. I enjoyed learning about what life at a racing kennel is really like for them.

I agreed with almost all of her medical recommendations. I especially liked the section on spaying and neutering ones pets.
Becca
Jun 06, 2008 Becca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: greyhound interest
Shelves: 2008, about-dogs
This book is filled with valuable info for anyone interesting in adopting a greyhound. I wasn't aware of all the health issues and special weaning of their diets when brought home. A I can't wait to bring one of dogs into our home!
Becky
Jun 07, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
A pretty comprehensive guide for retired racer adopters, but feels somewhat out-of-date. I like this one better for greyhound history and track life, but surprisingly prefer the "for dummies" book overall.
Christine

I breezed through this book. It contains a lot of helpful information, and is very readable. I feel maybe I need to re-read this book again because I got through it so fast!
Beckie
Sep 11, 2011 Beckie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve found the original edition in a used bookstore for $6 and I flew through it. The book is thorough and engaging and only further cemented my dream of adopting a greyhound!
Yulia
Feb 13, 2012 Yulia rated it really liked it
Shelves: pets
If you are planning to adopt a racing greyhound, this is the book most agencies would strongly reccommend to read before starting the process. Lots of good information.
Victor
Jan 21, 2010 Victor rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Potential greyhound adopters
Recommended to Victor by: Dairyland Greyhound Park
Shelves: nonfiction
If you're thinking of adopting a retired racing greyhound, this book provides a good overview. I just wish it went into a little more depth on some of the topics.
Aileen
Nov 15, 2008 Aileen rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. Helped with our first greyhound. Still use the philosophy with our third!

PUT A GREYHOUND IN THE WHITEHOUSE!!!
Madeline
Mar 27, 2008 Madeline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to adopt a greyhound or even already owns one!
Recommended to Madeline by: CGA
Ok, I didn't actually read this entire book, but it is a good reference book and is recommended by CGA.
Kimberly King
Aug 08, 2012 Kimberly King rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
A must-read for anyone interested in adopting a retired racing greyhound.
  • Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies
  • Comet's Tale: How the Dog I Rescued Saved My Life
  • Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds
  • The Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan: Lessons from Cesar's TV Dogs and Their Owners
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
  • How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners
  • Cesar's Way
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • Principles of Human Anatomy