Start by marking “Airtight Willie and Me” as Want to Read:
Airtight Willie and Me

Airtight Willie and Me

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When it comes to 'hos' and the men who run them, when it comes to intriguing and super paced rivalry between ambitious pushers and dealers who sell dreams in a blizzard of white powder, when it comes to knowing the streets, it takes a real player and that player is Robert Beck.
For more than two decades, Beck, writing as Iceberg Slim has fascinated or horrified readers of
Published November 1st 2004 by Holloway House (first published October 28th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Airtight Willie and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Airtight Willie and Me

Nicholas Pell
Sorry, Beck... this was painful to read.

This is an anthology of shorter works from Iceberg Slim AKA Robert Beck, the famous pimp who gave up the Life for love in the square world. I often liken Beck to a black Bukowski. He's a man who has been there and back and somehow lived to tell the tale without any maudlin apologies. This work, however, fell way short of what I have come to expect from Ice, probably because it seems to be the most fictional of anything that I have read by him.

The writing
Eva Leger
I couldn't get into this at all. All of the slang had explanations behind them which is nothing less than annoying. The slang is just far too old for me to get into also.
I loved Mama Black Widow but this and Pimp really fell short for me and I'm not going to force myself through half of this like I did with Pimp.
Stephen Conti
This guy is an insane genius. Ice-cube and Ice-T both chose their name in homage to him. He created(reflected?) the world of the pimp/whore/druggie.... I would love to have spent a night at the bar sitting between Slim and Bukowski....
Zoe
all of the Ice man's book are wonderful.. love his style
Tosh
And come to think of it Iceberg Slim maybe America's little brother to Jean Genet. Although not gay, he surely knows the underworld of a big city ghetto and all it horror and desires. Also at one time one can only buy these books in Black neighborhoods or at the local big newsstand. Very rarely do you find his work in shopping mall bookstores for some reason. Which makes Iceberg Slim even better than everyone else.
Amyr
iceberg slim is the creator of street fiction. he lived that life and captured it in his work. excellent, magnificent, extraordinary!
Ashti
This anthology of stories is a 'Shout Out' to the courage of the people of the streets. Some of them make it & most dont.
Darcia Scates
Some may say Iceberg Slim is the creator of urban fiction. I do not agree. This book is not easy to read. The slang is defined in the back of the book, but it doesn't help much. Skip this book, and read Mama Black widow. Donald Goines products are way better. Every author has a bad title, but Iceberg Slim has only one good title, and the rest you need to pass on. This book is so bad I wonder if he had a ghost writer write Mama Black Widow.
Young H
A insight on the South crooked lettered underworld.. Very good read
Pinkcotton
Was not the best!
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Steve Winston
Steve Winston marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Radiah
Radiah marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Say
Say marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jobaire Kitchens
Jobaire Kitchens marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
WallStreet Astrologer
WallStreet Astrologer marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Napolean Boone
Napolean Boone marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Misse Jones
Misse Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Naya
Naya marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Ras Bey
Ras Bey marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Whoreson
  • The Cornell Woolrich Omnibus: Rear Window and Other Stories / I Married a Dead Man / Waltz into Darkness
  • The Body Lovers
  • Love's Lovely Counterfeit
  • Rain Dogs
  • Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
  • Scarface
Iceberg Slim, also known as Robert Beck, was born as Robert Lee Maupin. Novelist and poet whose most famous novel, Pimp, is semi-autobiographical.
More about Iceberg Slim...
Pimp: The Story of My Life Trick Baby Mama Black Widow Long White Con Death Wish