Waiting for Daybreak

Waiting for Daybreak (Tomorrow's Promise Collection #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Paige Woodward is a woman without choices. Her destitute mother's only hope for a cure isn't covered by insurance. When a dream opportunity arises at a brand-new pharmacy, Paige is willing to keep quiet about her past to make sure she lands the job. For Clarissa Richardson, the dream of running her own pharmacy comes to a screeching halt when her grandfather hires a too-pe...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Bethany House (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Daybreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Daybreak

Deb
This was a nice pleasant read, somewhat forgettable though. Paige is a pharmacist struggling to find a good job after an incident at her last job that led to her termination. When she is offered a job at a brand new pharmacy she thinks her prayers are answered--and she hopes that her prayers for her mothers successful cancer treatments will be too. She needs the job to help pay for her mother's treatments, so she's prepared to put up with anything, but when she walks in the first day and is intr...more
Debbie
"Waiting for Daybreak" is Christian general fiction. The characters were complex and dealt with realistic issues. I understood why they acted as they did--even the characters that weren't as likable. The details of the store and job were superbly done, which makes sense since the author was a pharmacist in the past.

I could hardly put the book down. The suspense was created by wanting Paige to succeed and her mother to survive her cancer treatment, yet things kept getting worse. But, strangely, i...more
Quiniece Sheppard
The book started off very slow in the beginning. It took the author over halfway through the book to reveal what really happened to Paige and why she lost her job in Atlanta. The author kept dragging the story out and kept revealing bits of it at at time, but the other characters in the story were interesting as well and they kept me wanting to read on. I loved Ora's character and how she was so influental in Paige's spiritual and emotional well being. God always has a ram in the bush and just w...more
Cindi
Paige loses her job as a pharmacist in Atlanta and decides to take a new job closer to her parent's home. Her mother is suffering from cancer and needs to travel to Texas for treatment. Paige decides to stay at her folk's place while they are away and send as much money as possible to help pay for her mother's treatments.

Clarissa doesn't want help from another pharmacist and is quite upset when her grandfather hires Paige. From day one, things are tense between the two ladies. All Paige wants it...more
L
Two women's lives cross, based on both of them being pharmacists and both having personal needs that put them together. One is a really mean woman, filled with jealousy and malicious behavior...the kind of fictional character a person loves to hate. Circumstances brings both women to a point of making decisions about their actions and lives that have a wonderful ending. A great story about women in conflict and how outside the grace of God, those conflicts are hard to resolve.
Ane Mulligan
Kathryn Cushman set herself a paradigm with A Promise to Remember and hasn't disappointed with Waiting for Daybreak. Deep, complex characters are fast becoming Cushman's trademark. Paige and Clarissa drew emotional responses from me like few books do. Even the secondary characters are fascinating. Combine those with a riveting storyline and you have a novel you'll not put down until you turn the last page. Novel Reviews and I give it our highest recommendation: a 5-star read!
Lyndi
Nov book club book. Excited as this was one of our new favorite authors from last year. I didnt like it quite as well as her other book, but did really like it. It shows how easily mistakes can be made that can change multiple peoples lives. I didnt realize till after I was done with the book that the author actually was a pharmacist, prior to being a novelist. That made this even better, knowing that she actually possessed the knowledge to do this job. I like it when authors research something...more
Krissie
For Clarissa Richardson, the dream of running her own pharmacy comes to a screeching halt when her grandfather hires a too-perfect new girl who seems to be hiding something.
Joy
Pretty good book, by a pharmacist about 2 fictional pharmacists. Only one complaint - Vasotec is an ACE inhibitor NOT a beta blocker and the assumption that she should have caught the diff in drug strengths with computer alert but I agree often the pharmacists get blamed when it truly is not their fault (seen it many times) and nothing happens to the nurses and doctors involved. Liked the characters, just wish there were more spiritual discussions between other characters than just Ora and Paige...more
Christian fiction is always uplifting to me. I very rarely have read one that I wasn't impressed with. Kathryn Cushman did not disappoint. I really felt a connection with Paige and her problems. The only reason I didn't give this a five is that I would have liked to see a bit more about the Christian walk in this book. I felt like there were some really good opportunities for the author to open up a bit more with Clarissa and Dawn as well as Tony. I will read another of this author's books.
Terri
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's definitely Christian fiction, with a little romance and intrigue tossed into the mix. It's about 3 women whose lives intersect in a small town in Tennessee. It shows how important it is to wait on God's timing, not our own, and what can happen when we neither include God in our lives nor trust Him to know what's best for us. A very good book, regardless of your faith.
Cindy
A story of three women in the same work environment. One is a believer, one only thinks of herself and her personal gain, and one has no faith in herself. The story is about Faith. About having faith. There are several Bible references throughout the story interwoven into the situations. At first I felt that it was "another story,", but then I realized it's message. A story of hope for Daybreak.
Mary
2plus to 3- This was a Christian book that I was given to read. Not too great, not my cup of tea. The main character is a pharmacist who lost her job due to carelessness, or was it?? Her parents are counting on her to help cover the cost of her mom's chemo treatments and the new pharmacy manager that she is working for sets her up for failure due to her own weak agenda.
Gail
Two women, both pharmacists, with different dreams for their futures. Both seem to be willing to go to great lengths to preserve those dreams; both seem to have things to hide.
Chick lit, christian fiction.....it took me just a bit to get into this one but that might have been more from trying to read so late at night instead of it not holding my attention!
I couldn't give 1/2stars. I thought it was more 3 1/2star level. It had plenty of mean-girl drama. I felt that there were a few loose ends that needed resolved at the end. I think the end wad tied up too quickly and a bit sloppy. But, I was still hooked from the beginning so it must not have been too bad.
Sue
Almost a 4. Different story with interesting information about pharmacy operation and rules. Strong interraction among characters right up until the end, which was good but perhaps not completely true to what would happen in real life. Maybe that's a good thing...
Margaret Boehm
WONDERFUL AND DISTURBINS NOVEL ABOUT LIFE AND HOW WE RESPOND TO IT. OFTEN TRYING TO HELP GOD DO HIS JOB LIKE HE WAS HUMAN. THEN FEELING DISGRACED WHEN WE FINALLY REALIZE THE IS THE CREATOR OF US ALL , HE NEEDS NO HELP. gOOD READ
Trish Boese
Kathryn Cushman books remind me of Karen Kingsbury in some ways. They are emotional and written for women. But I think Cushman characters face harder issues and have tougher choices to make. I recommend.
Lynne
I finished this book in 2 nights! It was a wonderful book. The author did a great job keeping my attention. I am looking forward to reading many more books from Kathryn Cushman!!
Denise
One of my friends gave me this book to read, I read the first few pages thought oh how interesting and then as the story progressed I kept on reading . I would recommend it. goood book.
Carol
Good. I enjoyed it - particularly because I had intended to be a pharmacist at one point in my life. Good Christian story.
Candi Frontczak
I enjoyed a easy read & this was it. kept my interest without too much twisting plot, good Christian read
Pat
A hard book to read--making mistakes and being blamed for mistakes you did not make!!
Annie
Good Book! Well developed, good characters. Still chick lit, but its christian fiction
Walter Smith
wonderful,read.all things work 4 good to those that love the lord!
Carla Sokotuk
I enjoyed this read-would recommend it for anyone.
Richellelee
Interesting plot. I will read more books by this author.
Shirley Conley
Read as part of CAG bookclub. Pretty good book.
Susan Cherry
Very interesting with a lot of twists and turns.
Jessica
This book was just ok to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Author Kathryn "Katie" Cushman is a graduate of Samford University with a degree in pharmacy.

She is the author of five novels, including Leaving Yesterday and A Promise to Remember, which were both finalists for the Carol Award in Women's Fiction.

She is also the co-author of Angel Song with Sheila Walsh.

Kathryn and her family currently live in Santa Barbara, California.

Visit her Web site at ww...more
More about Kathryn Cushman...
A Promise to Remember Almost Amish Chasing Hope Leaving Yesterday Another Dawn