Henry and Mudge and the Funny Lunch (Henry and Mudge, #24)

Henry and Mudge and the Funny Lunch (Henry and Mudge #24)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Every year Henry and his dad (with help from Mudge, of course) make Henry's mother a funny lunch for Mother's Day. Shopping for their juicy, crunchy surprise is fun, and preparing it is even more fun. But sharing it with Henry's mother is the most fun of all!
Published April 1st 2005 by Simon Spotlight (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge and the Funny Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge and the Funny Lunch

Child960801
Henry and his dad have a tradition of making funny food for mother's day. I have some nit picks with the pictures in this one. One, the kiwis are green. Kiwis are brown fuzzy fruit on the outside, which I think is why the author chose to use them. However, they were drawn as green fruit. Two, the date circled on the calendar was in the middle of the week. Mother's Day is always on Sunday.
It's Mother's Day and Henry, Mudge and Henry's dad are on a mission to make a funny lunch for Henry's mother. They shop together and assemble the "funny" lunch while spending quality time together. Students will love the illustrations and Mudge's antics in the grocery store. With the large type and short chapters, this beginning reader picture book is a perfect way to ease students into reading chapter books.

Themes: family, family traditions, working together
Grades: K-2
Awards: None
Publication: 2...more
Krys (Black & Write Reviews)
Via Mother's Day Minis
Another humorous beginners chapter book. Henry and Dad are preparing a special lunch for Mom. We are led through the preparation stage and watching as Dad, Mudge and Henry do the shopping for the food supplies they would require and then the preparation. Needless to say Mom was very happy with her delicious, crafty lunch.
Dolly
Sep 22, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoyed the creativity and the fun in this story. Making a funny lunch for Mom for Mother's Day is a truly original idea and we loved it. We are coming to the end of the Henry and Mudge series of books and we have really enjoyed them all.
Aprils
I thought that the idea of making things out of food was clever. At my library, we did a storytime for 1st and 2nd-graders based on this book that was centered on healthy foods. The kids had a lot of fun and enjoyed the book.
Jason
Fun story with a neat idea for celebrating Mother’s Day. And it’s great to have a children’s book portray a good and loving husband / father who is involved with his family and seeks to bring them happiness.
Glenn Kennedy
This was a good book for students who have a longer attention span. This illustrations are good but the story is pretty long which some students will not focus or want to continue reading.
Betsy
While we love all the Henry and Mudge books around here, this is one of our favorites: Henry and Mudge and Henry's dad make a funny Mother's Day lunch for Henry's mom.
Paul
I liked their fruit that they made. I liked the pineapple sofa and I also like to play kickball. I like that they make a funny fruit every Mother's Day.
Jaeger Matthias
A pineapple-couch, and an apple-daddy and a peach-mommy and a plum-boy and a kiwi-dog was their funny lunch. I first read this book in my brain.
Sherrie Bontrager-Thomas
Love, love, love this mother's day story! Henry & his dad's funny food creations are on my list of things I must do with my kiddos!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Henry and Mudge went to the grocery shopping with Henry's father. The grocery owner was Henry's fathers cousin. So he always let Mudge in.
Corinne
Clever story of an original idea for a Mother's Day lunch. Just what a 1st or 2nd grader boy would love doing.
Grace
I thought this story was cute. A different view on Mother's Day. My son gave it two thumbs up.
Amy
A Mother's Day story - shows dad taking the lead with shopping and the kitchen.
Jessie
The Henry and Mudhe books are so cute!
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Kim Werner
Kim Werner marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Aug 23, 2014
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years