Revolutionary Road, the Easter Parade, Eleven Kinds of Loneliness

Revolutionary Road, the Easter Parade, Eleven Kinds of Loneliness

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Three classic works--including the virtuosic "Revolutionary Road, "soon to be a major motion picture--that exemplify the remarkable gifts of this great American master.

Richard Yates's first novel, "Revolutionary Road "is the unforgettable portrait of a marriage built on dreams that tragically never come to fruition. In "The Easter Parade, "he tells the story of two sisters...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Everyman's Library

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Road, the Easter Parade, Eleven Kinds of Loneliness

Gary
As I got into this fine novel'Revolutionary Road', I could hear playing in my head Pete Seeger's song 'Little Boxes'. This searing account of mid fifties suburban America, brings out the reality that life isn't all perfectly square corners. The lives that are lived out in these "little boxes" aren't as neat and orderly. Much as we try to encase it, life is impossible to confine.

The story itself is timeless, and will resonate with all who read it. The prose flows like a river and is a pleasure to...more
Jen A.
After watching and enjoying the movie, Revolutionary Road, including the special features in which Kate Winslett reveals that it was the book that made her want to do this film, I decided I had to read the book too.

The novel is excellent! My first time reading Richard Yates, and come to find out that he's a brilliant writer of the human situation. These characters feel real and honest, not simple archetypes plugged into a story. I watched the movie & read the book within about a month or tw...more
Kaya
I only read Rev Road. Not the other two- the library wanted it back. Pfft.

HOLY CRAP! Read this NOW. If you like getting punched in the guts. Then puking and crying. Then having a baby and trying to shoving it back in. Then reliving every moment of your childhood of your parents fighting. Then hating your significant other. Ugh. Tears. Drama. PUKE! My top 5 books ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dina
I read Revolutionary Road a few years ago and was absolutely floored by it, for all of the obvious reasons. It left me so introspective, so unable to make forthright assertions about things, that it wasn't until earlier this month that was I able to delve into the other books contained in this volume, The Easter Parade and Eleven Kinds of Loneliness. And so now, still reeling with the feeling of one who's been caught in a terrible lie, I'll try to coax anyone who cares to read on to undergo thi...more
James
How do you describe what you have just experienced when you've just finished reading a perfectly-written book? Richard Yates' masterpiece, Revolutionary Road, is a modern classic in the true sense of the word. He captures life in the fifties and the ennui and longing that lay hidden behind the grey flannel suits and the white aprons. This book works on every level, just one being the way he successfully creates a central couple as protagonists and is able to provide, in a theme and variation sty...more
Though I've read Revolutionary Road a handful of times before, it's been a while and I was jazzed to find an Everyman's copy at Book Buyers, which comes with a timeline of the author's life and concurrent events. So I didn't know Yates was a big old alcoholic before (not shocking, I guess) or that he was broke and lived terribly at the times when he writing his most prolifically. Also not shocking. But thumbing through the timeline really did give a new perspective on how awful his life was in s...more
Veronica McGlynn
So I already wrote about how depressing this book was. I did like it in an odd, twisted way. It was very understated--smoothly written. I tried reading the other two books that were included in the Modern Reader edition, but they didn't grab me.

Funny passages about working in cubicles in an office in Manhattan. "Each [floor:] was a big open room, ablaze with fluorescent ceiling lights, that had been divided into a maze of aisles and cubicles by shoulder-high partitions. The upper panels of these...more
Lcbogota
Fashioning Himself a Hero: Death of Another Salesman

The Laurel Players is an amateur theater group with high hopes of establishing a loftier cultural standard in their Connecticut suburb, but their short-lived attempt to put on a play is an utter failure. This sets the tone for the rest of the book, and the author's exploration of the themes of social aspirations, the desire the project oneself, and role-playing to meet or consciously balk social expectations.

Like the Laurel Players, everyone i...more
Angela
Since I reviewed each title separately this is going to be insanely long. You've been warned.

Revolutionary Road (4 stars)

Part of my "re-reading in 2011" challenge. I believe I first read this in 2007, and was completely blown away. This time was no different.

It loses a bit of intensity on a second read-through, since you know what's going to happen. You wait for it. But the build-up to that is was really makes this genuine. Frank & April Wheeler are your typical suburban couple—a nice little...more
Ally Hunter
i'll admit i saw the movie and then picked up the book. i was so intrigued by the story that i thought i would love the reading. but, what is up with the misogyny? does he have to mention april's hips and cankles at every turn? seriously. no mention of how frank is aging poorly. i'm becoming a yater (yates hater) unless someone can help me out---am i missing something about yates?

update: couldn't finish it. never thought i'd say this but screenplay was way more beautiful and moving.
G
Beautiful. Understated but profound. Sad and uplifting all at once. The two novels in this volume will make you stop and think 1000 times, if you're willing. I was and am richly rewarded for it. I'll get to the stories later, for now I am just sitting and thinking about Easter Parade -- it made me sit down and pause on the subway.
Steph
Reading Easter Parade...hello again, friend.

Easter Parade--so real and relatable. His characters ring true and Yates steps out of the way, letting the story move forward, but with such a distinct voice. He's a master of structure without seeming too planned; it's so natural. I'd recommend him to anyone.
Nurshafiqa
wow.
i was not expecting such an enjoyable and revelatory read.

hard to pick a favorite since each story was amazing in their own way, and all too much relatable it left me feeling quite vulnerable, to be honest.

5 stars.
richard yates is a gem.
jordan
One only realizes Yates's brilliance when you remember that much of what we now think of as received/conventional wisdom that appears in his work was neither when he wrote. But beware, this is some of the most depressing stuff ever set to a page.
Maya
Jun 22, 2009 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I really thought I would hate this book because I was ambivalent about the subject but I ended getting totally caught up in the writing and ended up loving it. I think Richard Yates really captures human emotion and writes about it beautifully.
Dianne
The writers and producers of Mad Men must have read this when creating the character of Betty. Yates has a particularly dim view of marriage, of men, and of women. Only the prepubescent children are left unscathed.
Justin Evans
I haven't read the stories at the end yet, but the two novels kick ass. Specifically white, middle class, suburban ass. And they kick it until it bleeds and hurts and comes back for more. As I will.
Vivienne Strauss
Richard Yates is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine, he captures the tragedy of being a human being like no one else I've ever read, equal to Cheever and Updike, possibly better.
Leslie
I've finished Revolutionary Road, which I enjoyed, but will wait a while before I start the other two. Revolutionary Road was really good and in a setting I like.
Hannah
Absolutely loved all three novels. What a treat to discover such an amazing (and profoundly sad) voice. Revolutionary Road devastated me for days.
Amber
I held on till page 50 and realized I have plenty of other books to read. This book is boring with a capitol B.
Dolores
Jan 06, 2009 Dolores marked it as to-read
Recommended by SD Union-Tribune reviewer Bart Thurber
Patrick O'Daniel
Brilliant--but depressing. Yates's best work.
Kelly Paprocki
6 stars to The Easter Parade.
Devastating.
Andrienne
How can you go wrong with Richard Yates?
Melissa
Feb 27, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
Stephen King 09 recommendation
Velvetink
May 01, 2011 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist, fiction, usa
(Recommended by William C.29 June 2011)
Ushnisha
In your face reality!
Jessica
Mar 04, 2010 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
SO Good. I read these books in installments, which was nice since his novels are a tad depressing. We can all relate to the isolation and captivity of everyday life which he effortlessly portrays. His stories transcend time though they were written fifty years ago. His rich character portraits resonated with me for their sadness, truth, and beauty. The central question in all his books still remains, how can we find happiness?
Mary Ann
Mary Ann is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Richard Yates shone bright upon the publication of his first novel, Revolutionary Road, which was nominated for the National Book Award in 1961. It drew unbridled praise and branded Yates an important, new writer. Kurt Vonnegut claimed that Revolutionary Road was The Great Gatsby of his time. William Sytron described it as "A deft, ironic, beautiful novel that deserves to be a classic." Tennessee...more
More about Richard Yates...
Revolutionary Road The Easter Parade The Collected Stories Eleven Kinds of Loneliness Disturbing the Peace