Start by marking “Merle the High Flying Squirrel” as Want to Read:
Merle the High Flying Squirrel

Merle the High Flying Squirrel

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Unhappy about the noise and clutter of the city, a squirrel travels west to find peace and quiet in the forest of giant trees he has heard about.
Published October 24th 1983 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Merle the High Flying Squirrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merle the High Flying Squirrel

Joe
Oh how I love this book. So does my grandson, so it's appealing to a 60-year age span. From the grandson's 5-year-old perspective, it's about a squirrel's escape from a dirty city, a high-flying adventure clinging to a kite, and a conclusion finding a home high in a redwood forest. From this grandpa's 65-year-old perspective, it's about Bill Peet's trademark themes of nasty urban environments, animal pluck and courage, awesome natural landscapes and a dose of good luck. Peet's cities make me thi ...more
Tim
Jun 19, 2014 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Merle's entire life has been confined to a city park, until he hears an old man talking about the western redwoods. He then embarks on a quest to find these redwoods and discovers that the feeling of smallness you get in an ancient forest is a better feeling than the smallness you experience in a big city.
Robin
Slow beginning but a "Curious George"-type development in the story helps to increase the interest level greatly.
Rachel
Classic Bill Peet with a fun character and adventure.
Stephanie A.
Squirrels: they're literally everywhere you look, but how often does a wild one get to star in his own story? Like Fly, Homer, Fly, it's another story about escaping the city for the peace and quiet of more open spaces. But this one comes with the priceless imagery of Merle somehow clinging to an obliviously smiling kite for miles on end. Whenever he scolds/pleads in vain for the kite to stop and come down, I always picture angry squirrel chattering and it makes me laugh. Have I mentioned my gen ...more
Heather
This book was okay. At first it reminded me of Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel) by Mélanie Watt but then as I kept reading it was just slightly similar and not a dupe. A reverse dupe obviously since this book came first. But its not. Anyway, a long book, but my son and I thought it had a fun ending.
Cheryl
3.5 stars Not verse, as are most Peet that I'm finding. I liked the simplicity of this one. Not so silly, more charming, than a lot of Peet, too.
Ben
Who would have thought a Squirrel and a Kite = High Flying Adventure.? I did. and i wasn't disappointed.
Carmen
Feb 01, 2010 Carmen added it
A really cute story about an adventurous squirrel with fun illustrations. My kids loved it.
Brendan Howard
Every Peet tale resonates with empathy, sentiment, surprise and perseverance. Unequaled author.
Terryann Saint
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Raji
Bill Peet is delightful.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Ayashe
Ayashe marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Elizabeth George
Elizabeth George marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Big Anthony: His Story
  • Harold's Circus
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • Life Story
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose