Start by marking “Eli” as Want to Read:
Eli

Eli

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A proud but decrepit lion learns a lesson about friendship from the vultures he despises.
Published October 29th 1984 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Eli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eli

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussDavid Copperfield by Charles DickensAbsalom, Absalom! by William FaulknerEthan Frome and Other Short Fiction by Edith Wharton
You Can Find My Name In The Old Testament
44th out of 160 books — 35 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinYertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. SeussThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperOh, the Thinks You Can Think! by Dr. Seuss
Story Book Leadership
69th out of 77 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Davelowusa
As a three-or-four-year-old I decided to change my middle name to Eli because of this book. On the copy at my parents' house, you can see that I wrote, in crayon, "David" to the left of the title and "Low" to the right of it. I'm still not very nice to vultures, though.
Emily
May 18, 2010 Emily added it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the combination of beautiful crayon-like illustrations and Peet's language play. These books are 25 years old, and it is interesting to see how morality in children's books has changed. Classics like these seem more nuanced to me.
Shelley
Doesn't rhyme. But the lion learns about being nice and helping each other.
Erin Gruber
Read everything you can by Bill Peet. I loved his books as a child, and love them even more as I read them to my kids.
Scott Hayden
Old lion Eli thinks little of the Vera the vulture whom he rescued from a jackal. He thinks even less of her grateful friends. Fed up with their fondness, he shoos them off with insults. Enter the hunting Zoobangas. Will Eli accept Vera's offer of help? Will the help be enough to save Eli from spears?

Simple story telling. Engaging facial expressions on this book authored and illustrated by Bill Peet.
Mark Baker
The story of an aging lion that is ashamed after saving a vulture from being killed. But might that act of kindness save his life? Bill Peet's pictures are great, and the story is fun if fairly predictable.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Elizabeth A
My 8 year old nephew, Jonah, is really into Bill Peet at the moment. The kid stocks up every day on more books to read. So love that. He was over for a play date and brought three for us to read. These short stories are quite fun, and I do love the illustrations.
Rayni
Bill Peet is a wonderful author. I loved every book of his that I could lay my hands on. He always seemed to teach a lesson w/out being preachy. This is a good one about prejudice & friendship.
Autumn
Mar 12, 2013 Autumn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I was only just introduced to Bill Peet by my third grader's teacher. I love every single book of his so far and he has a multitude!
Good for every age of reader.
Matthew
This is a nice book about friendship. The Africa setting was nice, though it seemed a bit more Tarzan Africa than Maasai in Tanzania.
Saralyn
Kimberly
My kids laugh out loud at certain parts of this book each time we read it, and I'm always glad to read it to them.
Greta
It's a great book about being true to yourself and not succumbing to peer pressure.
Holly
This is a great friendship read aloud for third graders.
Molly
This is a fun little story and I love the illustrations.
Tanya W
Another great Bill Peat children's book.
Terryann Saint
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Teri
Really clever! Love it.
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Zuraika Redo
Zuraika Redo is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2015
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • The Junkyard Wonders
  • Noah's Ark
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose The Whingdingdilly