Start by marking “Eli” as Want to Read:
Eli

Eli

A proud but decrepit lion learns a lesson about friendship from the vultures he despises.
Published October 29th 1984 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Eli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eli

Davelowusa
Mar 09, 2009 Davelowusa rated it it was amazing
As a three-or-four-year-old I decided to change my middle name to Eli because of this book. On the copy at my parents' house, you can see that I wrote, in crayon, "David" to the left of the title and "Low" to the right of it. I'm still not very nice to vultures, though.
Emily
May 18, 2010 Emily added it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the combination of beautiful crayon-like illustrations and Peet's language play. These books are 25 years old, and it is interesting to see how morality in children's books has changed. Classics like these seem more nuanced to me.
Scott Hayden
Jan 24, 2013 Scott Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, read-aloud
Old lion Eli thinks little of the Vera the vulture whom he rescued from a jackal. He thinks even less of her grateful friends. Fed up with their fondness, he shoos them off with insults. Enter the hunting Zoobangas. Will Eli accept Vera's offer of help? Will the help be enough to save Eli from spears?

Simple story telling. Engaging facial expressions on this book authored and illustrated by Bill Peet.
Mark Baker
Aug 02, 2011 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, picture-book
The story of an aging lion that is ashamed after saving a vulture from being killed. But might that act of kindness save his life? Bill Peet's pictures are great, and the story is fun if fairly predictable.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Elizabeth A
Apr 02, 2013 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, kids-ya
My 8 year old nephew, Jonah, is really into Bill Peet at the moment. The kid stocks up every day on more books to read. So love that. He was over for a play date and brought three for us to read. These short stories are quite fun, and I do love the illustrations.
Rayni
Nov 24, 2007 Rayni rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is a wonderful author. I loved every book of his that I could lay my hands on. He always seemed to teach a lesson w/out being preachy. This is a good one about prejudice & friendship.
Hope
May 10, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Bill Peet books, and it still holds up even today!
Matthew
Feb 14, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a nice book about friendship. The Africa setting was nice, though it seemed a bit more Tarzan Africa than Maasai in Tanzania.
Kimberly
My kids laugh out loud at certain parts of this book each time we read it, and I'm always glad to read it to them.
Shelley
Feb 02, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4
Doesn't rhyme. But the lion learns about being nice and helping each other.
Saralyn
May 02, 2008 Saralyn rated it really liked it
Jeremy
Erin Gruber
Aug 07, 2014 Erin Gruber rated it it was amazing
Read everything you can by Bill Peet. I loved his books as a child, and love them even more as I read them to my kids.
Autumn
Mar 12, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I was only just introduced to Bill Peet by my third grader's teacher. I love every single book of his so far and he has a multitude!
Good for every age of reader.
Teri
Jul 03, 2012 Teri rated it it was amazing
Really clever! Love it.
Holly
Feb 17, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
This is a great friendship read aloud for third graders.
Spenser White
Aug 10, 2015 Spenser White rated it really liked it
I've never met a Bill Peet book I didn't like! Yes, some are better than others, but this is a middle one. The story is so good! It helps to teach being no respecter of persons. I love it!
Christine Turner
Feb 25, 2016 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Subject:
Lion -- Juvenile fiction.
Vultures -- Juvenile fiction.
Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
Greta
May 02, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
It's a great book about being true to yourself and not succumbing to peer pressure.
Dru
Dru rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2009
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Meredith Mccaskey
Meredith Mccaskey rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Brendan Howard
Brendan Howard rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Wyntrnoire
Wyntrnoire rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Nathan Klier
Nathan Klier rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
RLH
RLH rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
DianeJasmine
DianeJasmine rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2010
I just beware outfield that sodi the 1 2 Jun 17, 2015 09:19PM
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Socks for Supper
  • Cranberry Christmas
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft