Cock-a-Doodle Dudley

Cock-a-Doodle Dudley

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Gunther, a jealous and bad-tempered goose, sets out to prove that popular rooster Dudley is a phony in claiming that he causes the sun to rise every morning.
Published March 29th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle Dudley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle Dudley

Liz
Week 3:
Dudley the rooster was the best rooster around. His crows would carry for miles around, delightfully greeting his friend Sol the sun every morning. Dudley was the favorite animal of all the animals in the barnyard. All the animals thought Dudley's morning crows held magical powers that make the sun rise, except for Gunther the goose. Gunther tried to convince everyone that Dudley was a phony. Gunther chased Dudley away from the farm and into Warwick's woods. Having to spend the night in t...more
Luann
Another new Bill Peet in my library. I don't think I had read this one before. Very fun! Of course the illustrations of the barnyard animals are the best! Does anyone draw better animals than Bill Peet?

Dudley is an extraordinary rooster who crows louder and longer than any rooster for miles around. The goose is jealous of Dudley's popularity around the barnyard and decides to peck him to a frazzle the first chance he gets. The goose takes his chance, but things don't work out quite like he expec...more
Magila
4.5

Pete's picture books are like picture novels. Of all the books I have read of his, this is right at the top.

The story of the witch was good, as was the story of the trolls. I like witches and trolls. The story of the sea monster was AWESOME. And then there is this lowly story of a rooster. This awesome lowly story of a rooster.

It's not quite at the tippy top of my picture book list. I must admit though, there is a great message about persevering and against bullying.

Recommend.
Betsy
Oh, Dudley is such a lovable and cute little rooster. Did you know he is the reason the sun comes up every morning? Longer text=experienced listeners (maybe kindergarten and up unless your preschoolers have listened to lots of stories)
Audrey
Bill Peet (3) - This book could be used to teach that everyone plays a part in making the classroom work. There shouldn't be any bullying. Everyone has something that they do best!
Emily
This book I have read so many times. I also know it's probably my mom's favorite Bill Peet book.
Cheryl in CC NV
A little bit of magic, but that's ok. Love the expressions on the animals' faces.
Tessa McKnight
Oct 26, 2009 Tessa McKnight rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves beautful drawings and a son named Sal.
Another children's book, but this one is a great read too! The kids LOVE it!
MrsCRobertson
Great story with a moral. Very cute pictures and a fun read!
Serena McGlashen
Q said that if she could she would rate this book a 10!
Terryann Saint
Love all his work.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft...more
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose