Start by marking “Cock-a-Doodle Dudley” as Want to Read:
Cock-a-Doodle Dudley
Preview

Cock-a-Doodle Dudley

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Gunther, a jealous and bad-tempered goose, sets out to prove that popular rooster Dudley is a phony in claiming that he causes the sun to rise every morning.
Published March 29th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Cock-a-Doodle Dudley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-a-Doodle Dudley

Rachel
I love these Bill Peet books and the illustrations were great in this one, though the story was a bit boring and too long (in my opinion). Dudley is a small rooster whose crow is so fantastic that Sol the sun can't wait to get up in the morning to hear it. The barnyard animals are convinced that he is magical. All of them that is except Gunther, the goose, who hates Dudley and his popularity. Gunther tries to fight Dudley on several occasions and eventually manages to run him off the farm into t ...more
Liz
Week 3:
Dudley the rooster was the best rooster around. His crows would carry for miles around, delightfully greeting his friend Sol the sun every morning. Dudley was the favorite animal of all the animals in the barnyard. All the animals thought Dudley's morning crows held magical powers that make the sun rise, except for Gunther the goose. Gunther tried to convince everyone that Dudley was a phony. Gunther chased Dudley away from the farm and into Warwick's woods. Having to spend the night in t
Ash
Dudley was a scraggly,little rooster.He was thought to be magic by the other farm animals, for his ability to bring the sun up every morning.Everyone loved him except the mean and jealous goose that was always trying to tear him down. His friends stood by Dudley and in the end the sun does rise because of him.
Robin
Love Bill Peet's books except this stinker. Just doesn't do anything for me.
Shelley
It's ok. Love that it rhymes....not the greatest story.
Luann
Another new Bill Peet in my library. I don't think I had read this one before. Very fun! Of course the illustrations of the barnyard animals are the best! Does anyone draw better animals than Bill Peet?

Dudley is an extraordinary rooster who crows louder and longer than any rooster for miles around. The goose is jealous of Dudley's popularity around the barnyard and decides to peck him to a frazzle the first chance he gets. The goose takes his chance, but things don't work out quite like he expec
Magila
4.5

Pete's picture books are like picture novels. Of all the books I have read of his, this is right at the top.

The story of the witch was good, as was the story of the trolls. I like witches and trolls. The story of the sea monster was AWESOME. And then there is this lowly story of a rooster. This awesome lowly story of a rooster.

It's not quite at the tippy top of my picture book list. I must admit though, there is a great message about persevering and against bullying.

Recommend.
Betsy
Oh, Dudley is such a lovable and cute little rooster. Did you know he is the reason the sun comes up every morning? Longer text=experienced listeners (maybe kindergarten and up unless your preschoolers have listened to lots of stories)
Audrey
Bill Peet (3) - This book could be used to teach that everyone plays a part in making the classroom work. There shouldn't be any bullying. Everyone has something that they do best!
Emily
This book I have read so many times. I also know it's probably my mom's favorite Bill Peet book.
Tessa McKnight
Oct 26, 2009 Tessa McKnight rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves beautful drawings and a son named Sal.
Another children's book, but this one is a great read too! The kids LOVE it!
MrsCRobertson
Great story with a moral. Very cute pictures and a fun read!
Serena McGlashen
Q said that if she could she would rate this book a 10!
Terryann Saint
Love all his work.
Christina Brown
Christina Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Todd Mailey
Todd Mailey marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Tymirrcus
Tymirrcus marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • G is for Goat
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Dance at Grandpa's
  • Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats
  • Flirting With Disaster (London Confidential, #4)
  • The Little Duck
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals That Lay Eggs
  • The Biggest House in the World
  • Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp
  • So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose The Whingdingdilly