Start by marking “Encore for Eleanor” as Want to Read:
Encore for Eleanor

Encore for Eleanor

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Eleanor the elephant, a retired circus star, finds a new career as the resident artist in the city zoo.
Published April 29th 1985 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Encore for Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encore for Eleanor

Ronyell
“Encore for Eleanor” is a cute story by Bill about an old elephant named Eleanor who was once a great circus performer, but was moved to the zoo when she got too old to play her part. It was then at the zoo that Eleanor learns a new special ability that might jumpstart her career again. “Encore for Eleanor” is a great book for children who want to discover new talents for themselves and realize that everyone is special in their own way.

Bill Peet’s story of an old elephant who wants to be special
Ms Threlkeld
I liked the animals in this book a lot more than the people, who were overly dramatic or downright mean. The ending was happy, but overall the book felt depressing since zoos and circuses aren't generally the best places for animals to live. The language also felt very outdated. Did remind a bit of The One and Only Ivan.
Stephanie A.
One of my favorite Bill Peet books. The illustrations of both the circus and the zoo are memorable, even if all the animals appear to be contained in tiny chain-link-fence pens, and Eleanor has a wonderful personality (so much so that I'm sure my childhood self panicked a bit at the mere suggestion, early on, of her next stop being the glue factory). One of our favorite lines, when she's first put on display, is "Without her fancy circus robe and feathery headdress she felt like an overgrown wri ...more
Amanda L
Not an accurate portrayal of the circus but a good lesson for getting oneself out of a slump by trying something new and finding new purpose.
Robin
A retired circus elephant finds a new career making sketches in a children's zoo. Pleasant story and likeable characters.
Restokes92
This book is about an elephant who was retired from the circus but missed being the center of attention. While in retirement at the zoo she figured out she knew how to paint and then everyone came back to see the painting elephant. This book is great for a read aloud because it can be used to show students they have value and all have different talents. The illustrations are also perfect for visual learners.
Luann
I love Bill Peet! I'm sure I had read this one before, but we just got a copy in my library so I reread it today just to be sure.

Eleanor the elephant is too old to safely perform her circus act, so she is sent to the city zoo. She feels silly just standing there while people stare at her. She is unhappy at the zoo until she discovers a hidden talent.
VegasGal
Story has a happy ending for a circus elephant who is forced to retire and be sent away from the life she knew, only to discover her new hidden talents. Eleanor has the potential to make both young and old feel useful and wanted, no matter your age.
My only bit of a disapointment was the style of ilustrations, they seemed a bit too dull for a kids' book.
SmarterLilac
How great is Bill Peet? Should I ever find myself raising a child, this is undoubtedly the first author he or she will read.
Yay! Maybe it will be Eleanor's signature book! Bill Peet is one of my favorites.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Brenda
Brenda added it
Apr 18, 2015
Ashleyd
Ashleyd marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Hsorenson
Hsorenson marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • Night Tree
  • Butterwings
  • Ming Ling
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose The Whingdingdilly