Start by marking “Pain Management (Burke, #13)” as Want to Read:
Pain Management (Burke, #13)

Pain Management (Burke #13)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  864 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Burke is back, but still lurking in the shadows, unable to return home. He is prowling the unfamiliar streets of Portland, Oregon, in search of a runaway teen. By all accounts, Rosebud Carlin is a happy, well-adjusted girl. She doesn’t fit the profile of the runaway kids Burke knows so wellÉand once was. But there’s something about her fatherÉ

Burke knows the street script
Published October 8th 2002 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Pain Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain Management

Larry Bassett
May 23, 2013 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
I like a book with really short chapters. Pain Management meets the short chapter requirement.

Evidently I am not going to read any literature for a while yet. I already have my next two books stacked on my desk: The Sins of the Fathers and Mystic River. I am looking forward to reading both of them for the first time. In fact it will be my first exposure to the authors Lawrence Block and Dennis Lehane. But I don’t think they count any more as literature than this book.

This is my third Andrew Va
Greenockian
Jun 23, 2010 Greenockian rated it it was amazing
Quite simply a magnificent novel that borders on being atrue work of art and genius. I have no idea how Vachss can write something of this quality. Don't approach this thinking you can simply sit back and be entertained as Vachss does not operate like that - this is a book designed to get the grey matter stirring and you'll find your mind wandering off at tangents time after time - normally a bad sign in abook but in this case it's most definitely not.
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 Ian rated it really liked it
Vacchs is a keeper. Man goes deep on morality, a code for living, and the need for that to live well. Purposefully and rightly. Even if the main character's a criminal. When he cuts off the fist two stretches of the index fingers of a guy, he cauterizes them with his mini-blow torch, and the guy had cut a lot of hookers who hadn't paid up 20 bucks a night for 'protection' - someone else's racket who he later takes out -instantaneously and without remose or a second's thought- when the 'kingpin' ...more
Don Crouch
Jan 01, 2014 Don Crouch rated it really liked it
You've read all the stuff about what actually happens in Pain Management already, so let's not rehash any of that.
Vachss' novels appeal to a couple different types of readers: the surface dwellers, and the mission soldiers. No judgments intended or implied. For the surface dwellers, there is plenty of quality character development, noir action and twisty plot. Vachss ranks with the best in this area (Connelly, Lehane,Crais, Block, etc.). Some great new characters (let's all praise ANN O. DYNE!!!
Rick
Jun 21, 2008 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Vachss. The more I read his work, the better I like it.
Ramzi
Nov 24, 2012 Ramzi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of crime fiction
Definitely the weakest installment in the series I've read so far; Vachss brings Burke to unfamiliar territory (Portland) with less than stellar results. Gone are the rich characters we've come to know and love and in their place is a wide array of one dimensional personalities and an endlessly boring search for a teenage runaway. The payoff is weak (even by "later" Burke series standards) and is sure to rub a few people the wrong way. I'm a completist so I had to read this installment but in al ...more
Tim Niland
Sep 15, 2008 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
Burke... in Portland? The unlicensed private eye and unrepentant con-man is still on the west coast after chasing down the men that ordered the attack that nearly killed him. The New York cops have declared him dead and he's doing nothing to dissuade them of this notion, waiting with his "wife" Gem for word from his family that to coast is clear to return to New York City. While he waits, he is employed by a shady architect with a radical past to find his missing daughter. Along the way, Burke h ...more
Steve Dennie
Feb 06, 2012 Steve Dennie rated it liked it
Shelves: black-lizard
“Pain Management” (2001) finds Burke staying in Portland with Gem. He accepts a job–to find Rosebud, a teenage girl who disappeared from her home. She appears to be a runaway. But why? Operating in Portland, without the familiar New York cast of underworld characters–Max, Michelle, the Mole, Mama, Clarence, and others–Burke is just another private investigator, and this is just another mystery plot.

Burke uses this book to preach against restrictions on industrial-strength pain medicine for termi
Debra
Jan 02, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing
The Burke novels have just become part of how I view the world. Reading Vachss's books has helped me heal from a difficult childhood more effectively than therapy!
Lorilee
May 03, 2016 Lorilee rated it really liked it
There are only a few left in this series. I missed the family but it was a good read. The ending was a little weird but the rest of the story more than made up for it.
Cynthia
Dec 19, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it
I've read several of Vachss's books, and this is without doubt my least favorite.
Kevin Ould
Nov 12, 2015 Kevin Ould rated it liked it
Probably my least favourite Burke novel so far in the series. Not bad but not great.
Scott
Nov 13, 2012 Scott rated it it was ok
This is not one fo Vachss' better works. A bit clunky and tired, like the squeeking chassis of '71 Dodge Dart. The characters are more two-dimensional than his earlier works which led me here.(Flood, Strega) Sadly, although I really looked forward to this book, I found myself reading with weary contempt, not the grinding envy I expected. Oh well, there's 10 other Burke novels prior to this one I can still read!
David Ward
Feb 28, 2016 David Ward rated it it was ok
Pain Management (Burke #13) by Andrew Vachss (Alfred A. Knopf 2001)(Fiction - Mystery) finds Burke in the Pacific Northwest cut off from his former life in NYC and allied with Samaritans who heist pain medications for the underprescribed. My rating: 4/10, finished 6/23/11.
Mikal
Dec 06, 2007 Mikal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty fast read dealing with similar subjects (child abuse, loyalty, a different view of family, and virtue) that Vachss often deals with. Set in Portland, Oregon rather than New York. Rating 3 1/2.
Wolfgang
Jul 26, 2008 Wolfgang rated it liked it
Another in Vachss over the top tough guy Burke novels that is too pulpy to be quality, but just enough to keep me entertained.
Steve
Dec 05, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Pretty decent read as Burke is again on his own. Has a bit different feel that the other books but still good.
Andrea
Dec 10, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
I thought this was pretty good right up until the very anticlimactic and disappointing end.

Kim Mckiernan
Jan 17, 2013 Kim Mckiernan rated it liked it
Listened on audiobook. Engaging story, liked the Burke/Hazzard character.
Lorena Drapeau
Nov 30, 2008 Lorena Drapeau rated it liked it
not my favorite style or storyline but i ended up fairly amused by it.
Shawna
Aug 28, 2008 Shawna rated it really liked it
Great book, continues with Vachss's agenda.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
John McIlveen
John McIlveen rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
ColinJ
ColinJ rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Kayla added it
Jun 02, 2016
  • L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories
  • Hardboiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories
  • The Beasts of Valhalla (A Mongo Mystery, #4)
  • The Coldest Mile (Cold, #2)
  • Grendel: Devil's Legacy
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • The Jaguar (Charlie Hood, #5)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Shoedog
  • Six Bad Things (Hank Thompson #2)
  • Ghosts (87th Precinct #34)
  • Stone City
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • When I Was a Loser: True Stories of (Barely) Surviving High School
  • Hard Freeze
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Dark Revelations (Level 26, #3)
Andrew Vachss has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social-services caseworker, a labor organizer, and has directed a maximum-security prison for “aggressive-violent” youth. Now a lawyer in private practice, he represents children and youths exclusively. He is the author of numerous novels, including the Burke series, two collections of short stories, and a wide varie ...more
More about Andrew Vachss...

Burke (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Blue Belle (Burke, #3)
  • Hard Candy (Burke, #4)
  • Blossom (Burke, #5)
  • Sacrifice (Burke, #6)
  • Down in the Zero (Burke, #7)
  • Footsteps of the Hawk (Burke, #8)
  • False Allegations (Burke, #9)
  • Safe House (Burke, #10)

“I wanted to ask her what the fuck was wrong but I had a date with a pack of skittish whores.” 10 likes