The Storm

The Storm (The Lighthouse Family #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Life with just the sea can be lonely. Just ask Pandora or Seabold. They've lived most of their lives with the sea, and they're quite used to being alone. Or they were. But one extraordinary day, the same sea that brought Pandora and Seabold together gave them the ingredients for an adventure that neither of them had considered before -- an adventure called "family."
Writt...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

Ann
Dec 09, 2008 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Katie (yet again;>)
A very nice chapter book for young readers about a cat who discovers that her purpose is to run a lighthouse and save sailors from the rocky shores.
However, the story focuses on more than just the lighthouse, it focuses on how the cat Pandora finds friends and a family as the sea brings to her what she had given up for it.
Lovely drawings and a sweet story!
Jacoba
The Storm by Cynthia Rylant (2002)
Genre: Chapter Book
Format: Book
Plot summary:Pandora the cat becomes a lighthouse keeper and saves the life of Seabold the dog, and together the two of them create a family with three young mice rescued from the sea.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): NO special considerations
Section source used to find the material: Recommendation from Pat Firenze.
Recommended age: grades K-4
Barb Simpson
Sweet story, Carson enjoyed it & so did I. Thanks Aunt Lorna!
Rebekah M.
We devoured this in one sitting. We couldn't get enough!
tyler
This has been a fantastic out-loud read for my three year old daughter. She's starting to get bored with her picture books and wants to be doing chapter books like her older brother. We read a chapter or two from it each night before bed and she's really enjoying it. We've read a number of them in the "lighthouse series". They are calm, quiet and caring tales about a thrown together family of animals, with just the right hint of adventure and surprise to make it exciting for her. They're quite w...more
Newbury Town Library Youth Services
Oh Cynthia Rylant, how much do I love your writing? Especially your Early Readers and first chapter books. This series is no exception. In fact, it might be my favorite so far. A quiet and simple tale about loneliness, friendship, courage, and family. Pandora the cat and lighthouse keeper rescues Seabold, a seasoned sailer (and dog) who's ship wrecks near her lighthouse during a storm. Their friendship grows as they learn to live with each other, help each other, and give each other something ne...more
Gina
I absolutely adored The Lighthouse Family series by Cynthia Rylant with illustrations by Preston McDaniels. Children and adults will enjoy reading about this loving lighthouse family: Pandora the Cat, Seabold the Dog and their three adopted mice children, Whistler, Lila and Tiny. Each book in the series is centered on a new animal friend the family encounters at their lighthouse. These books are filled with gentle adventure and kind characters. You will not only love the stories but the illustra...more
Logan
What a sweet story this was. A cat who owes her life to a lighthouse has grown up to become a lighthouse keeper. One day, her lonely life is changed by a sailor dog who is shipwrecked and washes up, injured, near the lighthouse. The two become close companions, but their relationship is cemented when during a massive storm, they work together to save 3 stranded baby mice. The illustrations are beautiful, the story is exciting, and it's filled with warmth and kindness. A great example about how f...more
Kim Burean
This was a lovely little book that would make a great read-aloud for children from preschool to 3rd grade. It is the first in the "Lighthouse Family" series.

Pandora is a cat who lives a solitary life as a lighthouse keeper. She is content with her life, but when Seabold (a seafearing dog) washes ashore after a shipwreck, the two forge a close friendship. They both realize they are happier than when they were alone. When three orphaned mice children are rescued, it adds to the joy of their lives....more
Gps
A good easy to read book, or a read aloud to a young reader. a story of loneliness, friendship, courage, and family.
charming in an old fashioned sort of way. excellent illustrations.
Tina Wilson
Rereading this Cynthia Rylant series with Brooke and now adding AJ in. LOVE them! This is the first in the series and they are all wonderful, especially as read alouds.
Robyn
This is a fantastic book, part of a series that I am so glad I came across. It is a quiet story, but moves quickly. A heart warming tale that may readers will enjoy.
Tricia
We started this series with the second book, because that's what was available at the library. We read 2 through 5, then finally came back to The Storm, the initial book in the series. It does set up a lot of the groundwork of the relationships and characters - I better understand them, now. Especially Seabold. But you can certainly read the other books without this one. They all stand alone, it's just that you get a more rich picture if you read them all. Overall, they are sweet (but not syrupy...more
Wendy
I have just started this series with my kindergartner, and the format is really perfect, as she is slowly outgrowing picture books, but still working on the stamina needed for longer books. The book has several short chapters, and you (an adult) could read the book aloud in about half an hour. Add to this Rylant's always lovely prose and sense that all children are a little romantic at heart, and you've got a winner. Of course, the ultimate compliment was that as soon as we finished, my daughter...more
Amy
We have read (read aloud) all 5 books in this series - The Storm, Whale, Turtle, Octopus, Eagle. They were pretty fun to read and listen too. Quite short little books - you can read them in just one or two sittings. They had a nice tone/feel to them. I liked the first best where the family found each other. The others a nice, very simple adventures too. The illustrations are quirky and interesting.

Bea says she liked them in the middle of liked and really liked. So I guess that is 3.5 stars :-).
Nancy
A sweet, short chapter book about a lonely cat who keeps a lighthouse and how she gets a family. The first in The Lighthouse Series. My third graders will be reading this.
Leslie
This is a lovely little chapter book by one of our favorite authors, Cynthia Rylant. Harper really enjoyed making predictions at the end of each chapter, based upon previous events, chapter titles and the delightful sketches throughout the story. I enjoyed the vocabulary she employs, since she doesn't "write down" to children. Of course, her gentle writing style and imagery is always welcome too. We will definitely be reading the follow-up tales about the Lighthouse Family.
Jennifer Bean
The use of background information helps to explain the reasons why a cat would want to live alone in a lighthouse. The grayness of the illustrations seems to add to the feeling of desolation while reading.

Instruction possibilities:

Partner reading

Write a story about what things would be like if you were in charge of a lighthouse.

Author study

Use this book as a vocabulary builder

Do research on a specific lighthouse and present what they have learned.
Marie
I have been wanting to read chapter books to G and this is the first one that she was willing to sit through (at about age 4). Lighthouse keeper Pandora the cat saves the life of the dog Seabold, and together the two of them create a family with three young mice - Whistler, Lila and baby Tiny - rescued from the sea. This is heavily (and beautifully)illustrated making it a wonderful transition from picture books. Followed by The Whale.
Jenny
I am always searching for good books for my kids, both to read to them as well as have them read.

I really enjoy most of Cynthia Rylant's books. They have sweet, family-oriented stories with an old-fashioned calm and delightful pictures.

This book is about family. About being alone v. being with family. It was a very nice bedtime story.
Paula
A very sweet early chapter book, the first in a series of three. I wanted to read more when I finished this one, always a good sign. The Lighthouse Family ends up (so far) consisting of a Cat, a Dog, and two little mice children. Obviously a blended family, not biological....
Anne Nydam
This is the first of a series of five. They are not exactly riveting for adults, but they are a good choice for very first chapter book to try reading. The chapters are very short, the language is quite simple but not babyish, and the stories are completely straighforward.
Mark
The earliest book I've ever remembered I cherish so much in my childhood. I remember gazing out the rainy window and enjoying the fresh smell of this book. All I could remember of the book was "lighthouse", and the writer's name had a lettet 'c'. oh good times :')
Molly
This was our 2nd/3rd grade book group selection. It is a sweet story with lovely illustrations. Quite old-fashioned. Everyone (even the boys) really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how much they liked it, since I thought it was almost too sickeningly sweet!
Marie
We liked this enough to go on to the second book, "The Whales." They are gentle, lovely stories with beautiful illustrations. Rylant's short chapters end fetchingly, so E never wants me to stop. But I would not call them suspenseful or even quickly paced.
Cherie
I read this aloud to my 5 year old and we both thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. This is actually the first book in the series. Rylant is very descriptive and creates wonderful pictures through her words. The illustrations are fabulous also.
Lorna
Very sweet story about friendships. The plot of the story is not terribly frightening and makes for an excellent early read-aloud. I read it to our then four year-old. Other books follow in the series of the Lighthouse family.
Laurie
If you have a young child in your life , you will make snuggle memories with this series. There is great depth here. I promise you
ll get a bit misty-eyed reading these together. But understand-- there is no sap here.
Such a sweet story, and lovely illustrations. It's perfect for reading aloud. I read it to my three kids, ranging from 3 years to 9 years old, and we all loved it. Will definitely read the rest of the series.
Alison Strumbeck
Cute story that is well paced for a beginner/intermediate reader. I would of loved this story as a kid. It's a chapter book that is simple but not overly simple. I think this makes a great reader for little kids.
  • The Raft
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
  • Lady Lollipop
  • The Treasure
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Autumn Story
  • Babushka Baba Yaga
  • Twig
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years