Start by marking “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier” as Want to Read:
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek: The Original Series)

On the planet Nimbus III, a harsh world deep in the neutral zone, the three major powers -- Federation, Klingon, and Romulan -- attempt a revolutionary cooperative program, jointly developing the planet as an experiment in peace. But that makes Nimbus III an irresistible target for terrorists, who seize control of the planet, and the EnterpriseTM is sent on a daring missio ...more
Published 1989 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek V

Vikas Datta
Nov 26, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic outing with the Enterprise crew and most heartening is the ending, with the pattern of redemption - and reconciliation of a sort
I thought Dillard did an admirable job with this mixed bag tale. She got the characters right and got in all the zingers and good one liners from the movie. However, the movie plot itself is quite a bit of a mess and there was nothing Dillard could do about that. This is probably my least favorite of the Star Trek Original series movies, and the book can't rise above those weaknesses. I don't hold it against the author, though. This is on Hollywood.
Heather Domin
In my experience a strong novelization can do wonders for a weak movie; it's one of the reasons I love novelizations so much. Since I like Dillard's Trek books, I thought she'd be a good candidate to do the trick for the weakest TOS movie. I was right. While I still don't care for the story, working it into a novel definitely improved it for me. The minor characters were fleshed out into real people with back-stories and personalities, which I always enjoy; being able to tune in to people's thou ...more
Mar 26, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another novelization that was better than the film that inspired it.
Feb 08, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here it is, the novelization of the worst-received Star Trek movie of all of them. I've always liked the movie and thought it got a raw deal with critics and fans, though it's far from their greatest. This book, though, has really made the story of the film more fully realized and deep. There is so much additional content that enhances the characters and motivations that the movie only hinted at. To gain a deeper appreciation for Shatner's vision of "Star Trek V," every Trekkie should read this ...more
Lee Goldin
I've never read a movie novelization in my life so you may be wondering why I started with an adaptation of one of the most reviled films in history. Quite simply because I've always been intrigued by what a missed opportunity Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was. The movie has a lot of heart and some intriguing ideas but unfortunately the script is a mess and the special effects are essentially unwatchable, especially by today's standards. And while everyone blames director William Shatner for t ...more
Mike Crate
Sep 25, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, scifi, star-trek
Ok then the movie is generally regarded as one of the failures of the Star Trek franchise but I don't hate it and there are some truly wonderful character moments in the story. This novelisation as you would expect gives us everything that is good about STV but adds so much more garnish to the story that you come away wondering what the studio were doing when setting the budget which limited to what they could do on screen.
The background to Sybok as a child and how the events with his mother sha
Jun 18, 2016 Mrklingon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventure Improved! The right way to see this movie....

I always enjoy the novelizations of the Trek movies - often they are the better version, certainly the case here. Dillard does a good job tightening up the story, polishing off the characters and blurring the rough parts.

Jim Neville
Jul 03, 2016 Jim Neville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the movie. There are references in the movie which make no sense whatsoever unless you've read the book. A must read for Star Trek fans, but if you want a book about "The Search for God," there are much better books. Not bad, though.
Oct 11, 2014 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book very fast, and enjoyed it. Sybok, the renegade Vulcan, was neat, and the characters were as good as ever. And it was funny.
4 stars.
John Barclay
The movie was kind of stupid, so is the book.
Robert Lent
May 07, 2012 Robert Lent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than the movie. I admit that doesn't take much. But the movie could have been a lot better. There was silliness in the movie like putting horns on horses to make them alien, and Kirk saying "use the horse", a pun on "use the force". In the movie, it just isn't convincing how Sybok was able to influence people, the book makes it much more convincing. Maybe you have to be a hardcore Trek fan to want to read a novelization of Star Trek V, but I think you will appreciate the sto ...more
Mar 28, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of the clichéd assertion that "the book is always better," but in this case it is thankfully true. Dillard's writing makes up and corrects for just about all of the source movie's copious flaws. I was also impressed by the many subtle references to earlier novelizations, which made this book feel like it belonged with them. Though perhaps not quite up to Vonda McIntyre's work on previous installments, it manages a very close second, and stands alongside them as a quality novel ...more
Emily Petit
Jul 14, 2010 Emily Petit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great alternative to the actual film, directed by - guess who? - William Shatner himself. It brings the cinemetographical humor to life in a stimulating, imaginative way. Jokes that would never have worked for the original film work very well here. If, like the majority of dedicated Trekkies, you didn't take to Shatner's movie, read this book. You'll actually laugh. Because this one? Why, this is funny.
J.W. Braun
Sep 13, 2010 J.W. Braun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book much more than the novelizations of Star Trek's II, III, and IV by Vonda McIntyre. Like McIntyre, Dillard adds some of his own stuff to the story he was given by the screenplay writers. Unlike McIntyre, Dillard's stuff added greatly to my enjoyment of the book. In fact, I think Dillard took a film that is somewhat lacking and turned it into a great story! I really enjoyed this book.
Mar 18, 2014 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Really nice! I loved Spock's story.
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 11, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The plot isn't dong J.M. Dillard any favours, but she certainly moves mountains in order to make this story readable and enjoyable as prose. Her masterful handling of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy helps to make this an especially solid novelization of the most notorious film in the Classic Trek canon.
This was better than the movie.

I know, that isn't saying much, is it? But really, it adds so much background and explanation that it actually makes the ridiculous plot kind of believable and interesting. It's very worth a read, simply because it salvages the movie.
Oct 17, 2009 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Surprisingly, this made me enjoy the movie more as it filled in some of the gaps and took some weak bits and strengthened them.
Still, the weakest of the original Trek movies, but the book made me aware there was a good story there.
May 18, 2013 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the movie even though this is just a novelization of that film. It proves that in concept, The Final Frontier probably looked good on paper, but in execution it turned out to be a major onscreen disappointment.
Dec 28, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much better than the movie, it actually made sense
Feb 23, 2016 Lucy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
I only give this 3 stars because Dillard makes a valiant effort to fill in the gaps and make sense of what is, truth be told, a pretty awful film.
Sep 06, 2013 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The book was better than the movie, although if you look at V as a spoof, it's pretty funny. A good read.
Mar 16, 2010 Bradley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fine Star Trek tale definitely worthwhile. Mirrors the movie quite nicely.
Tyler Replogle
Feb 09, 2013 Tyler Replogle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The things you learn from these books. Spock has a half bro.
Judith Paterson
Much better than the film, which I remembered very little about.
May 12, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
no date grade B-

Classic Movies Trek
Jeff added it
Oct 16, 2016
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Final Frontier
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • Mind Meld
  • Windows on a Lost World
  • The Final Nexus
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Sarek
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • The Starship Trap
  • Doctor's Orders
  • The Patrian Transgression
  • Timetrap
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
J.M. Dillard (born 1954), is a writer of science fiction and horror.

She was born in Florida and studied at the University of South Florida, earning first a BA in Russian and then an MA in Linguistics. After college she taught English as a foreign language at the American University in Washington, D.C., before moving to the West Coast.
More about J.M. Dillard...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire