Start by marking “McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales” as Want to Read:
McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales (Adventures of McBroom)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When Josh McBroom learns that the eighty acres of Iowa farmland he's purchased are all stacked up on top of each other at the bottom of a muddy little pond, he thinks he's been bamboozled. But McBroom knows he's got the better of the bargain when the pond dries up to reveal an acre of soil so rich that seeds spring up into full-grown plants in no time and even nickels grow ...more
Published September 22nd 1997 by Greenwillow Books (first published September 1st 1985)

Eric Hinkle
I'd never heard of Sid before, but I noticed this book was illustrated by Quentin Blake so I had to get it. An excellent decision! These three tall, tall, tall tales are are fantastic, hilarious, and endlessly entertaining. All the absurd exaggeration is right up my alley, and the guy is a first-rate jokester. I'm happy to see that he has tons of books, and is still writing them, because I know I'll want to read them all.

A few favorite bits:

"Mr. Heck Jones had the worst farmland in Iowa. He coul
Joann10
We are all big fans of McBroom after reading this fun "tall tale" book!!
A great read aloud!!
Patti
(Too bad GR doesn't have the cover by illustrator Quintin Blake! Oh well...)

After thoroughly enjoying Sid Fleischman’s “By the Great Horn Spoon”, I decided to look into other books of his. I am familiar with titles, but not the actual stories. This time I chose “McBroom’s Wonderful One-Acre Farm”, followed by “Here Comes McBroom!”. Both contain three tall tales – and boy, are they TALL, funny, clever, and absolutely delightful! Several adults reviewed them as memorable favorites from their child
Katherine
With Lanie. Good fun! Lanie was a little bit struck by the vernacular and bad grammar(!) used by the characters, but could understand that it was just a part of the story. We read it in a sitting. And what could be better than illustrations by Quentin Blake? It puts me in mind of certain readings we have ahead of us, ones I have been anticipating my whole life. :)
Danielle Dykstra
This book is perfect for you if you like to read something funny. It is also great because it takes place in our homeland - Iowa. McBroom claims he would never tell a fib, but it seems like his "true" stories are full of them! The author does a really good job of describing everything so you feel like you are actually in the story. It is hilarious! I highly recommend it!
Scooping it Up
Much like his other books (i.e. Chancy and the Grand Rascal) this short novel is a tall tale with dead pan exaggeration and a little fantasy. It went a little over my four-year-old's head, and mostly over my adopted kids' (who are just learning English) heads, but the English-speaking first grader loved it.

When I stopped to explain, or act some parts out, the other kids got the point and enjoyed it.

I think I personally would love it more if I had waited to read it to them another year, and had
Kasha
This book is very silly, but perfect for young readers. I'm on a quest to find humorous books for my son because I've decided that is what he enjoys most. When he started reading this book he was immediately taken with the humor. It says tall tales because each event is exaggerated to the max! The author has a nice flow, and I caught myself laughing here and there despite the childishness of the humor. These books are not on the AR reading list, but I would say it was maybe a step above an easy ...more
Alice
Three Tall tales. Oh yes they were. They Buy and acre of land but what they don't know is the acre isn't wide in an acre in the ground.

Silly Silly tall tales
Joanna
this little book is really funny! I believe the kids will love it when they are 8 or older. The humor would be lost on them otherwise. Very clever and cute.
Robin
Liked the tall tales but was disappointed by the scarcity of Quentin Blake illustrations.
Anne
This has been one of my favorite books since my elementary school librarian read it out loud to my class in the 4th grade. I reread it and I'm pleased to say that it holds up extremely well. Timelessly funny. I think of it as if Wayside School was on a tall tale farm.
Gemma
Easy and fun.
Ann Moody
Happy Surprise! We were not familiar with Sid Fleischman or his esteemed Newbery legacy when I found this intriguing-looking slim offering.

Kind, humble hillbillyish family is duped by a Roald Dahl-esque evil antagonist. Will they triumph in the end, after a rather humorous series of events? Strongly recommend you give it a try and find out.
Jael
This book is utterly stupid, and makes no sense. However, it had me laughing so hard that TEARS were coming to my eyes! Definitely a worthwhile read.
Mocha
This was my favourite book in second grade. I think I've lost it, but if I ever do find it again it's definitely going on my favourites bookshelf. It was just brilliant, a well-executed children's story with an extremely clever concept.
Kaylea Joy
Aug 23, 2011 Kaylea Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers
Recommended to Kaylea Joy by: Sonlight reader
Mcbroom's wonderful one acre farm was a really good book! You could tell through out the book that he was telling some fibs! And that is what makes it really funny! Sid Fleichman did a really good job on the book!
Shicake
I remember I read this book when I was in 5th or 6th grade and I read it in Spanish. I really loved it it was real funny and I really loved the draws in the different pages.
Kimberly Tardy
The stories are just the right length for a mid-day, mid-activity reading break. If your day needs a touch a light-hearted silliness, this may do the trick!
Rusticgirl
Best child's book in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD. You have not lived properly if you haven't read the funny tall tales of Farmer McBroom and his big family!
Kalia
This book was wierd and really fun because plants sprouted out of the ground in their farm that you could feel the wind as it wooshed by.
Carolynn
These are perhaps my very favorite childrens books... there is nothing more fun than McBroom's silliness.
Paty Mtz
abolute wonderfull story for kids of all ages... have to read it once a month!
Vivek
Its a really humorous book with amazing three tall tales in one!!
Kristie Stauffer
Definitely a great book for children. Hilarious tall tales.
Ms. Foley
Very cute tall tales--good for a read aloud.
Heidi
Very fun! Our whole family loved it!
Savanna
Jun 07, 2008 Savanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lots of people
i thought it was pretty funny
carrie