Start by marking “Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure” as Want to Read:
Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure

Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Tumtum and Nutmeg: A Christmas Adventure Christmas is fast approaching and Arthur and Lucy Mildrew hold out little hope of receiving any presents - but Tumtum and Nutmeg have other ideas. Full description
Published January 7th 2008 by Egmont Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tumtum and Nutmeg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumtum and Nutmeg

Stacy268
Tumtum and Nutmeg are two mice that live in Nutmouse Hall in the broom closet of Rose Cottage. The humans who live in Rose cottage are the Mildews; a poor family consisting of inventor Mr. Mildew and his son Arthur and daughter Lucy. Nutmouse Hall was quite grand compared to the cottage, a fact that Tumtum and Nutmeg noticed. The mice feel for the children, since Mr. Mildew is absentminded at best, and lets many daily tasks go undone. Tumtum and Nutmeg decide that they will help Arthur and Lucy ...more
Amber
I really loved the way this book started out, and enjoyed the author's use of language, but for some reason I felt let down when it came to the battle against Aunt Ivy, or the Charge of the Bright Brigade as it was known in the story. Too much military jargon for my liking, and it was an unfamiliar theme for my 6 year old. I don't mind explaining words to her, but when I suddenly had to define the words General, rifle, gas attack, war zone, hand grenades, repel, ammunition, machine gun, strategy ...more
Miri
Well-written, good adventure story, likable characters, but I couldn't believe this was first published in 2008 and not 1908. The antiquated gender roles were ridiculously pervasive, almost as though the author (female; ugh) had gone through a Patriarchy Checklist in creating her characters. Fun and cute, but not worth reading the rest of the series, nor will I be recommending it to any children I know until they're old enough to know why the gender roles are stupid.
R. C.
I read this when real life was angry, full of hurt and changing quickly. It was the perfect thing for that, like the world was black and this book poured white paint into it and made it actually a not at all overwhelming shade of blue. Certainly for small people but a sweet and simple read for adults who don't think it's beneath them to read books that are certainly for small people. I'm going to read it again, this time to my six-year-old.
Elaine
We LOVED this book. It was so funny and the girls and I had a great time reading it. I wish Tumtum and Nutmeg lived in our house and took care of us! I highly recommend this book.
Tegan
I stumbled across this cute little book in a thrift store and i had to get it. The cover was just adorable. Im so glad that i did get it. I read this book very quick as it is a short book. I loved everything about this charming little story about mr and mrs nutmouse and nutmouse hall. It was filled with charming little details that kept you reading and just made you go awww that so cute. The story line is a great and planned out very well. This book is full of adventure and exciting and would be ...more
Julie
Tumtum and Nutmeg was first published in Britain in hardback in 2008. The book is 503 pages long but holds three complete books.

The words and pictures fit together in a gracious tone. Mr. and Mrs. Nutmouse, TumTum and Nutmeg, live in Nutmouse Hall in the broomcuboard of the kithcen behind the dresserin Rose Cottage. Rose Cottage has fallen into complete disrepair since the death of Mrs. Mildew leaving Mr. Mildew alone with his two children Arthur and Lucy. Mr. Mildew, like so many other fathers
Trish
I think 2nd and 3rd graders would like this book. The characters are likeable, except the father is extremely apathetic towards his children. There is a bit too much military jargon and Aunt Ivy is over the top, but the story engages the reader, makes it an enjoyable read and good wins out over evil. I can recommend this book for the Logos Library.
Andy
My rating of this book stems from childhood enjoyment, as I read this book when I was probably ten year old, and I can remember liking it.

The story is very cute and light hearted, with a beautiful opening description. I probably wouldn't recommend reading it now, but it's definitely a good one for children.
Ella Bowen
I love this book...

It's so sweet! It allows you to experience the world from a small point of view! I can just read it again and again! Enjoy!
LaRae Williams
The story is sweet and innocent. It was a delightful read with my daughter.
I found the beginning of the story simply delightful and charming! As such, I would have preferred a longer tale involving the interactions of Tumtum, Nutmeg, and the children and a shortened horrible "Aunt Ivy" portion of the book. Still, overall my family and I really enjoyed this adorable book.
amy
and a half
Michelle
Picked this up because it was recommended as a first-chapter-book. For read-alouds, yes, but it's definitely more of a 2nd or 3rd grade chapter book for reading alone. It's very readable, very sweet, and it has more than enough (surprise) adventure in it.

Recommend it as a family-read bedtime story for K-1 or read-alone for a precocious 2nd grader or any 3rd grader.
Indah W
Lovee it!! From the really beautiful cover and a charming story from the mice's point of view.

And I have to admit even though I feel kinda annoyed with "mice" and "rats" in real life, but to read how Tum Tum was being poisoned by the human, it made me pitied him and wished he didn't eat that poison, huhuhu..

Can't wait to read another stories from this series ;)
Elizabeth
Love, love, love this book. It is a great read aloud. It reminds me of Bramley Hedge books, but is more energetic and engaging. It is so cute, and perfect for boys and girls. Great adventure stories, and highly imaginative. This will become a classic, I am sure of it!
Traci
This was a great read-aloud with Will. It's a great bridge between shorter stories and longer chapter books. Every few pages there was a picture and the story was compelling enough for him to remember from day to day (retention has been a problem for him in the past!).
Rick
While the Parental figure is not easy to sympathize with, this is a sweet story of a childless mouse couple who adopt 2 children that badly need care. This was storytime reading for my 5 year old, and it seemed perfectly age appropriate.
Books4m
So cute picked up while sitting behind library desk bored and thought it was interesting enough to finish, it was actually well written and inticing. I am 25 and I wanted to see what happened to Tumtum and Nutmeg ! LOL
Ciara *I love Harry Potter!*
I remember reading this when I was seven or eight.I really enjoyed it at the time. There are cute illustartions and lovable characters throughout. Three stars for Tumtum and Nutmeg.
Karen Ahaus
For anyone who has a little girl, these are must reads! I love the adventure these very cute mice have and the books are the perfect "chapter before bed" size.
Shawna
Emma really liked this book about how a group of mice plot to get rid of a very unpleasant woman, who by the way is determined to poison them all!
Stacy Luce
Cute, short story. There is nothing really profound or awe inspiring about this book. Good for young readers I would think.
Janae
Very cute little chapter book. Read it to my 5 yr old and she actually paid attention. We'll be reading another.
Kimberly
Cute children's literature. I can't wait til my kids are old enough and I can read them books like this.
B
lovely little story of two mice and how they help some motherless children.
Grade 3 and up.
Kathryn
Jun 07, 2009 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Might be a bit too cutesy, but couldn't pass up a book about mice named Tumtum and Nutmeg! ;-p
Cynthia
Fun children's book...I enjoyed reading it aloud with my 10-year-old.
Tanya
Hubby has especially enjoyed reading it to the 2nd grader.
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • The Last Leopard (Animal Healer, #3)
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • The Elevator Family
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
  • Sophie's Snail (Sophie, #1)
  • Birdie's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #1)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot: the Case of the Frozen Hearts
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Bless This Mouse
  • Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse, #1)
  • Along Came a Dog
  • Kira (Shadow of the Dragon, #1)
  • Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Kaspar: Prince of Cats
  • The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of Strong Women
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
Emily Bearn was born in London, and has been a journalist since the age of 20 when she joined the staff of Harpers & Queen magazine. She then worked for a year as a diary reporter on The Times, before becoming a feature writer on the Sunday Telegraph. She became freelance in 2005 following the birth of her daughter, Freya.

The idea for the Tumtum and Nutmeg books was sparked one evening when, w
More about Emily Bearn...

Tumtum and Nutmeg (7 books)
  • The Great Escape
  • Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg)
  • A Christmas Adventure (Tumtum And Nutmeg)
  • A Seaside Adventure (Tumtum And Nutmeg)
  • A Circus Adventure
  • Trouble at Rose Cottage
Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6) The Great Escape Tumtum and Nutmeg (Tumtum & Nutmeg) Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg)