Start by marking “The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)

The First Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1)

Tumtum and Nutmeg: A Christmas Adventure Christmas is fast approaching and Arthur and Lucy Mildrew hold out little hope of receiving any presents - but Tumtum and Nutmeg have other ideas. Full description
Published January 7th 2008 by Egmont Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The First Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Adventure

Stacy268
Nov 29, 2008 Stacy268 rated it really liked it
Tumtum and Nutmeg are two mice that live in Nutmouse Hall in the broom closet of Rose Cottage. The humans who live in Rose cottage are the Mildews; a poor family consisting of inventor Mr. Mildew and his son Arthur and daughter Lucy. Nutmouse Hall was quite grand compared to the cottage, a fact that Tumtum and Nutmeg noticed. The mice feel for the children, since Mr. Mildew is absentminded at best, and lets many daily tasks go undone. Tumtum and Nutmeg decide that they will help Arthur and Lucy ...more
Amber
May 16, 2013 Amber rated it liked it
I really loved the way this book started out, and enjoyed the author's use of language, but for some reason I felt let down when it came to the battle against Aunt Ivy, or the Charge of the Bright Brigade as it was known in the story. Too much military jargon for my liking, and it was an unfamiliar theme for my 6 year old. I don't mind explaining words to her, but when I suddenly had to define the words General, rifle, gas attack, war zone, hand grenades, repel, ammunition, machine gun, strategy ...more
Miri
Aug 12, 2013 Miri rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Well-written, good adventure story, likable characters, but I couldn't believe this was first published in 2008 and not 1908. The antiquated gender roles were ridiculously pervasive, almost as though the author (female; ugh) had gone through a Patriarchy Checklist in creating her characters. Fun and cute, but not worth reading the rest of the series, nor will I be recommending it to any children I know until they're old enough to know why the gender roles are stupid.
R. C.
Nov 22, 2011 R. C. rated it it was amazing
I read this when real life was angry, full of hurt and changing quickly. It was the perfect thing for that, like the world was black and this book poured white paint into it and made it actually a not at all overwhelming shade of blue. Certainly for small people but a sweet and simple read for adults who don't think it's beneath them to read books that are certainly for small people. I'm going to read it again, this time to my six-year-old.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was hoping for a cosy bedtime read along the lines of The Wind in the Willows, and the first part of it is. I loved the bit about the two mice building their great hall, and adopting the two human children who are pretty much left to their own devices by their well-meaning but oblivious inventor father. But then Aunt Ivy showed up and spoiled things. There was an increasing smell of Roald Dahl's unpleasant aunts from James and the Giant Peach about her, and the plot just went completely off at ...more
Janae
Jan 17, 2013 Janae rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Very cute little chapter book. Read it to my 5 yr old and she actually paid attention. We'll be reading another.
Elaine
Jul 03, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing
We LOVED this book. It was so funny and the girls and I had a great time reading it. I wish Tumtum and Nutmeg lived in our house and took care of us! I highly recommend this book.
Kathryn
Jun 07, 2009 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Might be a bit too cutesy, but couldn't pass up a book about mice named Tumtum and Nutmeg! ;-p
R. E. Banks
Oct 21, 2016 R. E. Banks rated it really liked it
I read this and some of the books in the series when I was eight, and it STILL STANDS OUT in my mind. I remember it quite fondly. I loved these books when I was younger, but later, I could never remember the name of the series until I came across the book in a library bookstore and instantly recognized it. I would highly recommend it to children.
Henry
May 22, 2017 Henry rated it it was amazing
Great book. My 5 year old loved it.
Katy Noyes
Dec 15, 2015 Katy Noyes rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! Why couldn't this have been written when I was 9?!

What a fantastic Borrowers-esque story. I was enchanted (and I'm 35!) from the start. I will definitely save a copy for my son when he's old enough - this is a perfect class read for KS2 storytimes at the end of the day.

In a broom cupboard in an old house occupied by a (failing inventor) widower and his two children, a pair of mice live quite comfortably, with many cosy rooms and hot food. They see Lucy and Arthur short of fo
Julie
Aug 16, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Tumtum and Nutmeg was first published in Britain in hardback in 2008. The book is 503 pages long but holds three complete books.

The words and pictures fit together in a gracious tone. Mr. and Mrs. Nutmouse, TumTum and Nutmeg, live in Nutmouse Hall in the broomcuboard of the kithcen behind the dresserin Rose Cottage. Rose Cottage has fallen into complete disrepair since the death of Mrs. Mildew leaving Mr. Mildew alone with his two children Arthur and Lucy. Mr. Mildew, like so many other fathers
Tegan
May 06, 2014 Tegan rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this cute little book in a thrift store and i had to get it. The cover was just adorable. Im so glad that i did get it. I read this book very quick as it is a short book. I loved everything about this charming little story about mr and mrs nutmouse and nutmouse hall. It was filled with charming little details that kept you reading and just made you go awww that so cute. The story line is a great and planned out very well. This book is full of adventure and exciting and would be ...more
Mailis Viiand
Panin juba ammu poes silma peale sellele imearmsa kujundusega raamatule, sest mulle tundus, et see kujutab endast midagi ääretult õdusat ning kodusooja. Suur oli mu üllatus, kui tegelikult asi päris kiiresti koledaks kiskus ja hiireperele suhteliselt julmalt üritati ots peale teha.
Suurem osa raamatust on pühendatud kergelt depressivsele inimene vs hiir sõjategevusele, mida vaid imekombel edu saadab, sest hiirsõdureid juhatab üks äärmiselt enesekeskne ja ebakompetentne kindral. Proua Pähklihiir s
Michelle
Apr 05, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Picked this up because it was recommended as a first-chapter-book. For read-alouds, yes, but it's definitely more of a 2nd or 3rd grade chapter book for reading alone. It's very readable, very sweet, and it has more than enough (surprise) adventure in it.

Recommend it as a family-read bedtime story for K-1 or read-alone for a precocious 2nd grader or any 3rd grader.
Trish
Feb 15, 2014 Trish rated it liked it
I think 2nd and 3rd graders would like this book. The characters are likeable, except the father is extremely apathetic towards his children. There is a bit too much military jargon and Aunt Ivy is over the top, but the story engages the reader, makes it an enjoyable read and good wins out over evil. I can recommend this book for the Logos Library.
Indah W
Feb 09, 2011 Indah W rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Lovee it!! From the really beautiful cover and a charming story from the mice's point of view.

And I have to admit even though I feel kinda annoyed with "mice" and "rats" in real life, but to read how Tum Tum was being poisoned by the human, it made me pitied him and wished he didn't eat that poison, huhuhu..

Can't wait to read another stories from this series ;)
Andy
Dec 26, 2014 Andy rated it liked it
My rating of this book stems from childhood enjoyment, as I read this book when I was probably ten year old, and I can remember liking it.

The story is very cute and light hearted, with a beautiful opening description. I probably wouldn't recommend reading it now, but it's definitely a good one for children.
Varsha Seshan
Jan 14, 2016 Varsha Seshan rated it really liked it
Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure reminded me of an Enid Blyton story! I devoured it the way I used to devour Enid Blyton not so long ago.
Jan 10, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I found the beginning of the story simply delightful and charming! As such, I would have preferred a longer tale involving the interactions of Tumtum, Nutmeg, and the children and a shortened horrible "Aunt Ivy" portion of the book. Still, overall my family and I really enjoyed this adorable book.
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. It is a great read aloud. It reminds me of Bramley Hedge books, but is more energetic and engaging. It is so cute, and perfect for boys and girls. Great adventure stories, and highly imaginative. This will become a classic, I am sure of it!
Aniela
Apr 05, 2016 Aniela rated it did not like it
Boring sexist children's book. The girl just sits around cooking for the "strong men" while they just sit on their feet and are still credited for doing "hard work" the writing style is boring as well, and the whole book was very cringey
Rick
Sep 15, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it
While the Parental figure is not easy to sympathize with, this is a sweet story of a childless mouse couple who adopt 2 children that badly need care. This was storytime reading for my 5 year old, and it seemed perfectly age appropriate.
Traci
Dec 22, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it
This was a great read-aloud with Will. It's a great bridge between shorter stories and longer chapter books. Every few pages there was a picture and the story was compelling enough for him to remember from day to day (retention has been a problem for him in the past!).
Books4m
Jun 17, 2010 Books4m rated it it was amazing
So cute picked up while sitting behind library desk bored and thought it was interesting enough to finish, it was actually well written and inticing. I am 25 and I wanted to see what happened to Tumtum and Nutmeg ! LOL
Tarissa
Oct 07, 2014 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable and charming in every way! These two little mice, Tumtum and Nutmeg, change the entire lives of the human children, in whose house they reside in. Such a wonderful book that young kids (4-7) will especially enjoy.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Tumtum and Nutmeg were nice to help Arthur and Lucy. F.B.
amy
Feb 19, 2014 amy rated it liked it
and a half
Sep 07, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
A nice, but rather strange adventure.
Sarah Hartfield
Read aloud to Addie. (Also read aloud to the boys back in 2009) Adorable!
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Dolphin Song (Animal Healer, #2)
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
  • Birdie's Book (The Fairy Godmother Academy, #1)
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • The Elevator Family
  • The Case of the Frozen Hearts (Wilma Tenderfoot, #1)
  • Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse, #1)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Sophie's Snail (Sophie, #1)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • The Prairie Thief
  • Secrets at Sea
  • The Lion's Paw
  • Along Came a Dog
  • Shadow of the Dragon: Kira
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
Emily Bearn was born in London, and has been a journalist since the age of 20 when she joined the staff of Harpers & Queen magazine. She then worked for a year as a diary reporter on The Times, before becoming a feature writer on the Sunday Telegraph. She became freelance in 2005 following the birth of her daughter, Freya.

The idea for the Tumtum and Nutmeg books was sparked one evening when, w
More about Emily Bearn...

Tumtum and Nutmeg (7 books)
  • The Great Escape (Tumtum and Nutmeg #2)
  • Pirates' Treasure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #3)
  • A Christmas Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4)
  • A Seaside Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #5)
  • A Circus Adventure (Tumtum and Nutmeg #6)
  • Trouble at Rose Cottage (Tumtum and Nutmeg #7)