Start by marking “Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1)

Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  907 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The Raven travel to a new continent in search of mages to help the ruined college of Julatsa rebuild and find themselves in the midst of ancient curse - a curse that has unleashed a plague that threatens to wipe out the elven race.
Published November 1st 2008 by Gollancz (first published May 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Elfsorrow, please sign up.

Kym I didnt read chronicles of the Raven beforehand and you can fully understand the series with out. I think you miss out on how they raven clad bonded.…moreI didnt read chronicles of the Raven beforehand and you can fully understand the series with out. I think you miss out on how they raven clad bonded. (less)

Aaron
Sep 25, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, this book isn't that great. However, it's probably the closest book I've read comparable to a video game; a diverse band battling their way towards victory. However, when they put a 1 next to the title, that makes me think it's the first book in a series, instead of a new trilogy that continues an earlier series.
Shane
Apr 18, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barclay is incapable of disappointing me with these books.
Sep 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

Elfsorrow certainly had its own rhythm compared to the first three books, but fabulous nonetheless. Barclay’s elves totally rock, giving Tolkien’s elves a run for their money. Yeah, the elves were in and out of the previous novels, but here we get to see them in their full glory: Armed to the teeth and ready to kick some serious butt while fighting along side the Raven mercenaries. Most of the times unwillingly, but in the end, the elves see value in the Raven’s actions. (I can’t wait to read B

Shannon
Tediously formulaic. This book is the exact reason I tend to shy away from high fantasy. It contains all of your standard, unimaginative RPG tropes-- Dragons, an unnamed warrior, mages from opposing colleges who are in love, elves, etc.
I won't be reading any more of this series.
In the end I give it 3.5 stars.

This could so easily have been 5 stars. By then end, it nearly was. But it took over 300 pages to get to a point of being able to keep the characters straight, and the overlapping plot lines in order. There is a densely tangled web held within these pages.

I'm sure it didn't help that while this is the first book of the Legends of the Raven series, it follows after Chronicles of the Raven, and Mr. Barclay assumes that you are already familiar with all of the charac
Tbloxham
A solid book, but the series seems to be rather overwhelmed with "mega doom" right now, after the first and best book where things felt a bit grounded and you could believe these highly skilled warriors could make a difference it is moving to the point where they are facing such absurd odds in such an 'unplanned' way that you can't help but think they should really lose. Somehow despite their heroics I can never truly get 100% behind the characters. Whether this is a strength or weakness is deba ...more
Namton Thammajinda
"Elfsorrow" is a high fantasy book by James Barclay that is the first of the "Legends of The Raven" series. This book focuses a group of mercenaries known as "The Raven," who were the focus of the previous series "Chronicles of The Raven." The Raven were a group of talented mercenaries who are attempting to find out the reason of the mass death of elves in the southern isles of Calaius, as one of the members is an elven mage.

This book is a book that is mainly about conflict and character relati
Katie
Jul 09, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
So this book was very good, and definitely worth the wait (I had to wait to get the previous 3 books after I realized there was a trilogy preceding this newer trilogy). Anyway, it was great, the characters were fabulous as usual. But as per usual there was also an excessive amount of gore (I'm pretty sure these books are written for guys). Surprisingly though, this book was significantly less complex than those in the previous trilogy. It wasn't nearly as confusing, and I didn't spend the whole ...more
Andy
Not really worth a 4, but worth more than a 3, a solid 7 out of 10.

Fast paced, gruesomely violent, with a good underlying story. Still showing its role playing heritage at points, but it seems as if Barclay is growing away from its limitations.

The elves and the elf nation are the true focus of the book, with the elfsorrow potentially affecting every elf.

The raven have to rescue the elf nation from tbhe elfsorrow, whilst balaia falls into inter-college war around them.

Major plot points turn on th
Keyla
Apr 10, 2012 Keyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story began slowly and never quite picked up. At times, it was engrossing but would fizzle out and leave a feeling of choppy waters. One moment, I couldn't stop reading and the next few required some coaxing. It was almost as if Mr. Barclay tried so hard to add detail that he missed out on weaving them into the broader tapestry for a masterful picture. I hold out hope for the rest of the series.
Alisa Russell
Aug 16, 2012 Alisa Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with starting a book in the middle of a series of books is that it takes awhile to get familiar with the characters and what's going on in the story. But, once I figured out what was going on, I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought the world of the book and characters were very well developed, and the visual imagery was fantastic. Looking forward to reading more of this author's books.
Ashley Brunt
Sep 23, 2016 Ashley Brunt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I didn't finish it. Maybe if I read other books by this author I would like it better but I kinda felt like I got dropped in the middle of a story with no idea what the hell was going on or who the characters are. I doubt I will try again as I just did not like the writing style enough to want to go buy any other books put out before this to see if the gaps get filled in. There are other similar stuff written much better in my opinion.
Sassy
Sep 07, 2013 Sassy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourites. I must say I was somewhat surprised by the authors decision on who lives and who dies in Elfsorrow, I actually cried at the end and declared I was done with the Raven. After a couple of days though I'm ready to move on to the next instalment. A must read for any fantasy fan.
Shinew
Jun 20, 2011 Shinew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Barclay, bringing the Raven to the land of the Elves this time, as a terrible plaque sweeps across them. The story is just as unique & original as the earlier books, and still has a high amount of detail in the fight scenes
Luna Ofthenight
Nov 23, 2012 Luna Ofthenight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genocide, political power hungry people at the top. Resonances of today's world.
The potency of this tale is again Barclay's world drawn beautifully. The ideals of faith, courage and tenacity.
His fight and battle scenes I'm in awe of.
Cathyhajo
Jan 20, 2011 Cathyhajo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So far, its slow going, but eventually starting to get into it. It clearly a sequel to other stories that I am supposed to have read. And he's got the really annoying habit of telling me rather than showing me that the Raven are so tough and so cool. Meh.

Never got better.
Kc
I couldn't really get into this book. I like the characters, and the basic plot. I think it was the sentence structure that bothered me. Every sentence seemed as though it could have been worded better.
Carla Lewis
Jul 04, 2011 Carla Lewis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm sure I would have read the whole thing and given it a much higher score if I had read the prequel before.
Just felt like there was too much going on.
Peterwilliam
Jul 16, 2009 Peterwilliam rated it really liked it
My review is linked HERE.
Sian
Jan 13, 2014 Sian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on it around chapter 4. I just couldn't get into it. It jumped around too much and I couldn't get into the characters. Also, it read like a video game.
C
Apr 12, 2013 C marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I promised myself I'd browse the stacks and pick one book a month that I haven't seen/tried before. I stumbled across this one today.
Kerri Simpson
I would have liked it alot more if it wasnt so dry. I ended up liking one of the characters and that was it. I dont need to finish the series.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Mark
May 24, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, love the characters and the story was tragic and dramatic, pretty much what I expect to read from Barclay.
Tal
Oct 18, 2007 Tal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
i love this series.

engaging characters, a complicated world, believeable dialogue. all-round fun fantasy.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
c2002. Aaaahhhhhhh. Raven is a changing!!!
Rob Davies
Mar 25, 2010 Rob Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best series of books i have read to date!
Bianca
Jul 01, 2013 Bianca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
i would've given it a 4 if only the ending were a bit different. bi is not happy at all. >.<
Kelly Martin
Dec 18, 2014 Kelly Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe I'm just tired of this style
Elfsorrow 1 4 May 02, 2014 07:43AM
  • The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Thirteen Years Later (The Danilov Quintet,  #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick Volume One: The King of the Elves
  • Blue and Gold
  • Ares Express
  • The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night, #1)
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
  • Hamlet's Father

Legends of the Raven (4 books)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • Ravensoul (Legends of the Raven, #4)