Start by marking “CultureShock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette” as Want to Read:
CultureShock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette

CultureShock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With over three million copies in print, CultureShock! is a bestselling series of culture and etiquette guides covering countless destinations around the world. For anyone at risk of culture shock, whether a tourist or a longterm resident, CultureShock! provides a sympathetic and fun-filled crash course on the dos and donts in foreign cultures. Fully updated and sporting a ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Cavendish Square Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about CultureShock! Thailand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CultureShock! Thailand

Just read the updated version. It was so helpful. I think this book will help you get a feel for the culture. It is a hard one to figure out, but this will help you avoid some of the pitfalls that foreigners fall into most often. There are other books they recommend if you want to know more, but this is a good start. If you plan to visit Thailand you should take some time to figure out where you are going and how you should act.
MUST READ or read one like it if you are coming to Thailand. You will fail to make the right impression no matter what you think when you leave. It is not the impression you think you leave that is as important as the one you actually leave. Thais won't tell you what you did wrong, but you will not need them to tell you if you do proper research.
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Cultureshock Thailand by Robert Cooper et al which is an excellent book which I bought from Amazon. This book is part of the Cultureshock series which is a travel but focuses more on etiquette and customs than tourist attractions. This book is around 350 pages so is a reasonable length. Most people in Thailand follow the Buddhist religion with small amounts being Muslim & Christian. Bangkok is the capital city of a country that is about the size of F ...more
Andhika Padmawan
I like how the author wrote this book without prejudice. He told what it takes to see Thai people from their perspective. I read this book as a preparation for my trip to Bangkok.
Just finished reading this again in preparation for the team this summer and for working in a different area of the country. It's full of great reminders and great tips for what we will encounter especially outside of the city. I always come away with more understanding, and it's interesting to the different things that stand out to me each time I read it. I know I will be faced with a lot of these more "traditional" customs and traditions of the Thai people as they're more common outside of Ban ...more
It seems like it did a good job of doing what it was supposed to do, which is prepare the average Westerner for life in Thailand. I guess the real evaluation will be done when we get there. Though I feel it did a good job, and I doubt I could find a better book to do that, it wasn't a very enjoyable book to read...I'd rather have learned about Thailand from someone whose perspective was a little closer to mine.
Another good read for understanding culture in Thailand. Before a visit, business and especially relationships here you need to read thsi informative book to HELP avoid misunderstandings. You will still have them, but you may understand a little more this way. Duane Gardner is also great about relationships and business across culture.
Thanks to this book, I would probably not make laughable farang mistakes. This made me more interested to see the place (in a few days). Note that this is not a language book. You can pick up a few terms here but this book will not tell you what you will say exactly for common situations but it will give you good advice on how to act.
It is helpful (after vising Thailand many times I finally decided to educate myself more). However , I would have liked it more if there information was more practival and less poetic as some parts could have been much shorter. It would be also good to have more updated information as some hints seem to be from the 60's.
Learning about my new place of residence is always a good plan. I used the "Culture Shock! France" book many years ago and really liked that as well.
A quick read that turned out to be quite helpful in Thailand.
Queenn Nattanit
Queenn Nattanit marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Krish Ranjan
Krish Ranjan marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Michelina Pratt
Michelina Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Karla Miller
Karla Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Ninja added it
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Breaking of Nations: Order and Chaos in the Twenty-First Century Around the World with Mark Twain Corporate Treasury and Cash Management The Hmong: A Guide To Traditional Lifestyles The Red Triangle: The History of the Persecution of Freemasons