Start by marking “Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)” as Want to Read:
Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)

Let the Drum Speak (Kwani #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,004 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
First there was Kwani, the blue-eyed "witch, " whose turbulent, triumphant life was first chronicled in the New York Times best-seller She Who Remembers and continued in Voice of the Eagle. Now comes Antelope's story. Antelope is Kwani's beloved daughter, a worthy successor to her mother's magnificent legacy. Antelope's mate is Chomoc, the son of the legendary Kokopelli. W ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Signet (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Drum Speak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Drum Speak

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelThe Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. AuelThe Plains of Passage by Jean M. AuelThe Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel
Best Pre-History Fiction
18th out of 152 books — 258 voters
Two Rivers by Zoe SaadiaAcross the Great Sparkling Water by Zoe SaadiaThe Peacekeeper by Zoe SaadiaThe Great Law of Peace by Zoe SaadiaThe Foreigner by Zoe Saadia
Native American Novels
15th out of 135 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

CATHY
Mar 30, 2014 CATHY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME

This is the last of the 3 books of the series....it is awesome! Could not put any of the 3 books down until I had finished the series. If you love the southwest and Native American heritage, this will take you back. These places are still around. Amazing people!!!!
Mortalform
I hate when I discover I've started myself in the middle of a series. I'm going to read it anyway and see if that effects my experience.

Starting with book three didn't have a huge affect on my read but I was not taken by this book. Event and description of time period are interesting, but the characters are not more than lightly engaging. This book did not deserve it's comparison (on the cover) to Auel in any regard beyond it being a prehistorical novel. This book did not inspire me to read any
Shelley Upchurch
Oct 09, 2010 Shelley Upchurch rated it it was amazing
What can I say. Linda Lay Shuler is one of the best authors there ever was, she catches one's mind and just won't let go. wish there were more books. I felt this way with Auel's books as well, just wanted them to go on and on.
Tammy Hamblen
Jul 12, 2014 Tammy Hamblen rated it really liked it
I loved every one of these books!
The author really has a way of drawing you into the story and holding a level of suspense that is hard to put down.
Great read!!
Danny
May 11, 2012 Danny rated it really liked it
This, the last of the series was as good as the others....just hate to see it end. Prehistoric American at it's best.
Melissa
Let the Drum Speak is the 3rd in Shuler's series about Kwani, She Who Remembers. These are books that need to be read in order as you need the history of the characters and to know how everyone relates to everyone else.

This is the story of Antelope, Kwani's daughter who has traveled far to the East with her mate in search of good trading. They come to a city where a being called the Great Sun rules. And that being wants Antelope and is determined to have her no matter what. But he doesn't want t
Jess Penhallow
I didn't find this book as compelling as the other two in this series. It was much more static in terms of both location and time frame. I also didn't like what the author did with Chomoc's character and felt that his actions did not reflect his feelings as she described.

Most importantly, it felt really unfinished for a concluding book to a series and i would have enjoyed a few more books exploring the next generation of Skyfeather and the new baby whose name i have forgotten already! Its a sha
Arlene Shulman/Lichtman
Aug 24, 2014 Arlene Shulman/Lichtman rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all three books in this series. This last one was different from the others because it mostly took place at a different pueblo. At times, I found it annoying because I wanted to be back in the "home" location with kinder and more humane people. The story did work well and the ending was not disappointing.
Nora Peevy
Jan 21, 2015 Nora Peevy rated it liked it
The final book doesn't have as strong a female lead as Kwani and I feel the plot drags in a few places and then the ending is rushed. It's still a good story, but I prefer the first two books.
Nancy Wilkinson
May 12, 2016 Nancy Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Just fabulous! While the second book was just a bit annoying, this one more than made up for it! Such a rich storyline, with real and believable characters. The attention to detail in portraying the daily lives as well as the spirituality of the different tribes and people within the communes was wonderful. We tend to think of native Americans as all the same, but even within a small distance there were very big differences in language, beliefs and daily lives. A wonderful book that had me resea ...more
Yolanda Munoz
Nov 11, 2015 Yolanda Munoz rated it really liked it
Let the Drum Speak was a great book to read. When Antelope went on her quest to find her people she ran into many obstacles, but even while caring for her young son, she got through them. I really believe she is an inspiring person. That's probably why I kept reading. If you want to get caught into reading a comfortable yet exciting book, this is the book to read.
Linda  Beard
I really enjoyed this series and the final book was as good as the other two books. I thought it left the series at a good ending place. I hope I find another series just as good but without a doubt I will remember these books for a long time.

Sincerely
Linda Beard
lindabeard1954@gmail.com
Carolinia DeLacey
Last in series of three, wonderfully written

I read these many years ago and have just done so again. It's wonderful to have these stories becoming a part of who we are. As I run a background life in my mind with whatever I'm reading I find that I've incorporated something of each Author into myself, every story as part of
My being.
Lissa
Sep 27, 2007 Lissa rated it it was ok
Let the Drum Speak is historical fiction about the first people of the Americas. This is the second in a series of stand alone books about She Who Remembers, a shaman from a particular clan in the midwest of North America. In this book, her mate goes to the city of the Great Sun to trade. He leaves with the Queen of the northern city, leaving She Who Remembers stranded in the City of the Great Sun, fighting off the advances of the Great Sun, and trying to prove that she is not a witch. This book ...more
Lauren Dukes
Jun 17, 2014 Lauren Dukes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great trilogy

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this trilogy. I wish there were more books in it so it wouldn't be over. I highly recommend.
Helena Keeley
Feb 01, 2016 Helena Keeley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Full of history.

This is an excellent book to read. One of my favorites
ever. The book is interesting and believable. The author is terrific and I appreciate all the research she did to write the story about the Mississippi River Indians.
Christine Jo
Jun 29, 2014 Christine Jo rated it really liked it
Kinda sad it's the last book. But seriously awesome! ^^ unforgettable!
Kim
May 11, 2014 Kim added it
Love these stories, sad that it had to end here. Awesome author!
Ann
Jan 30, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing
Great series.
Violet
Dec 14, 2013 Violet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was not aware that this book was part of a series, and that it was not the first book in the series. It was not to hard to pick up what happened in the other books. I did feel that I missed something though. The only reason I got this book was because it was in the discard pile at the library and looked interesting. I don't think I would go back and read the two that came before this though.
Cathy
Feb 10, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
Excellent read and a nice finish to the trilogy.
Tom
Dec 01, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
Possessed with the same mystical powers as her mother, a young woman follows her wandering mate to a fabled city in the prehistoric Southwest. But here her beauty attracts the attention of the city's supreme ruler--a man who will become her greatest enemy. Far from her homeland, she must now struggle for her own survival and that of her only child.
Nana Kitteh
Nov 14, 2013 Nana Kitteh rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, hardcopy, box-6
While we written, I didn't care for the third book in this series. Kwani is gone to Sipapu and the main character is the Great Sun, a spoiled child of a man who holds the power of life and death over the people in his city, including travelers Chomoc, Antelope and their baby daughter. Maybe I'll finish it someday.
Trish Fehrt
Dec 05, 2012 Trish Fehrt rated it really liked it
loved the entire series....couldn't put the books down. I got swept away by the characters, traditions/customs, action, heartache, and historical value of a forgotten time. I didn't want it to end!
Kathryn
Jan 28, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014-books
good read second time through. it's been at least 5 years or more since I read it the first time. liked the premise of the story including real places that ruins can be found of.
Allison
Dec 19, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
Loved the whole series, wish there was more!
Kaye Carter
This story was set at the Spiro Mounds just a few miles from where I live! I love this author and her stories about the early Indians.
 Barb Bailey
Third in a series of 3 Shuler books re earliest American Indians. 3rd best of the 3 but still good.Recommened whole series to friends.
Linda
Apr 12, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Antelope's story. She travels with Chomac, he leaves her, she sees a vision that tells her to return to her home.
Mitzi
Apr 03, 2014 Mitzi rated it really liked it
An enjoyable ending to the series, I kind of wish there was another book or two to follow it though!
  • Brother Wind
  • The Sacred Stones (The First Americans, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • The Year the Horses Came

Kwani (3 books)
  • She Who Remembers (Kwani, #1)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)

“Time is a great circle;” 0 likes
“The drumbeat in your blood is the voice of your ancestors. Let the drum speak.” 0 likes