Start by marking “Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)

Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  876 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Tobyn-Ser is a gentle, bounteous land of small villages and close-knit communities, of dark woods and swift-running streams, of broad plains and clear lakes. But its idyllic peace is being disturbed by terrible rumors of mages seen committing horrible, violent acts, destroying crops, burning villages to the ground, and murdering innocents. The rumors even say that Theron m ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 591 pages
Published June 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Amarid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Amarid

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Best Epic Fantasy
59th out of 132 books — 84 voters
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
242nd out of 705 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill Hsu
To edit my review, this book was well written. Very well constructed characters. I will say that I had a hard time following the storyline. I found myself skimming through, however, because it was too much of a history instead of the plot. However, that may just be because it is the first out of three books.

The characters were well constructed and easy to follow in their journey. I think the author focused on writing the thoughts of their own being. The romance aspect of it was also too predicta
Sam Morris
Edited 10/06/2014 5:16pm

After reading and rereading this book a few times, I have come to the conclusion that this book was very well done, at least in terms of construction and plot lines. There are several things in the book that I have noticed that struck me as odd or as incomplete, so if you shall allow me to share this with you guys.

All of the construction of the mage craft was good, however, more time could have been spent on describing how well the owl or hawk bonds with the mage. Instead
Joshua Palmatier
This is the first book by David B. Coe that I've read (and it's his debut novel). I'm not sure why I never got around to buying this at first, since I distinctly remember seeing it on the shelf and being interested, but it took a long time before I actually purchased it. I should have started it sooner.

The main strengths of the writing are the characterization and the worldbuilding. Coe has created a group of characters and presented these world in such a way that you are drawn in and care about
Dan
I thought that this was a great book, and Coe is probably my favorite author between these and the Winds of the Forelands and Blood of the Southlands collections.

As I did with Coe's other series, I'm going to provide my review of the entire series here.

I greatly enjoyed this series, with very few objections. I thought that the predictions of Jaryd and Alanna's strength was overwrought what with the foreshadowing already present in Amarid's Hawk, and that the plot tended to become just a bit pre
Fatbaldguy60
I enjoyed this one. I will be picking up the other two in this trilogy. There was some sense that the two new mages were a bit more powerful than was probably realistic. However, upon reflection, they did not really do major magics, but the visions people had of them being very powerful later were slightly offputting.

I liked the magic system and would have liked more explication about the reasons owl masters are more powerful than hawk mages, and some more background on eagle mages. In addition,
T J
This is the story of Jayrd, a young man from Tobyn-Sir, finds that his nightmares are more than dreams. In a land of magic and the Order of Hawk and Owl-mages, we find that something deadly has come to destroy the peace the land has seen for centuries. This was an exciting read with many twist and turns. Looking forward to the next book The Outlanders.
Peter Smith
Nice light easy reading page turner! I like the intricate heavy plotted fantasies too, but sometimes you need a nice good vs evil page turner and this definitely doesn't disappoint.
Cathleen Ash
Epic fantasy at its best! Coe captures a world and its history in this fast-moving, magical adventure. Ride with Jaryd as he travels the world of Tobyn-Ser, coming to terms with his powers and the plight of the land under the oppression of mages destroying crops and laying waste to villages.
Jaryd's ready to start training the moment he leaves his family, but the trail is a difficult one and one thing after another gets in the way. Coe keeps us wrapped in the story of the present, the history of
Oliver Neubert
I don't know if I like this book or not.
I liked: Character development,the idea of Hawk and Owl-Mages and the binding with birds, Alayna's conflict with doubt, betrayal and finding love, the setting of the story.
I didn't like: long drawn out descriptions, repeated scenearios viewed from different point of views, modern weapon technology in an old magical story, the ending of the outlanders through a ....(I don't want to spoil the story).
In the end I skipped over the last fifty pages because I lo
Arne
May 04, 2014 Arne added it
Great Book, nice start of the series
Dia
This book was awesome. A friend of mine lent it to me because we discovered our mutual love of fantasy books. Really the only thing that could have made this book better would be dragons. Instead, I got a greater appreciation for birds.

The ending would have been disappointing except I know there is a second book and it is available for me to read.
Nicole Luiken
Cool magic and an interesting world, but the pacing was too slow for my taste, with lots of travelling and description. At the beginning it felt like Jaryd would be our central character, but by the end it felt like Baden had taken over a bit. The author's first novel.
Malik Strong
This was the first book I read by David. My mother gave it to me to read, and from there I was on my way to an awesome journey of fantasy. It wasn't until years later that I found out it was a series. This is a must read!
Such a disappointment compared to his achievement with The Winds of the Forelands. Although Coe still shows himself to be an imaginative mastermind, the plot and characters just did not grab me like the Forelands series did.
Paul
This was the first book of his that I ever read, and it instantly earned my obsession into his other works. I have much admiration for his ability to build love for characters, and then kill them off unremorsefully.
Minouschka
One of the first books fantasy books I ever bought. what an amazing book. In our bookstores there was already Harry Potter but all I could think of was to buy this book instead.
Lauren
This by far is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. The way it was written, how in depth the detail of the land, characters, and towns were fabulous.
Sharon Skinner
This was a good story with nicely drawn characters, but it was a bit long-winded. Perhaps I've really just forgotten just how verbose most adult fantasy writers are?
Kristen
Somewhat predictable if you've read much other fantasy, but still enjoyable enough that I'll read the other two in the trilogy.
Gregory
Good book, decent plot. This is a reread for me, and I still enjoyed it. Cool idea of mages binding to birds.
Adam Jones
This book is impossible to put down. It's very exciting and features a cast of excellent characters.
Brian K
Decent and fast paced but very predictable. I need to read the next one in the series.
Troy Mason
This is a great series, the magic system is well thought out.

Alejandra
Feb 17, 2008 Alejandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a great story, good verses evil is always a good story.
Emanuel
This was the first Fantasy Novel I read, and I love It.
Tolnik
A great start to a trilogy! Captivating read.
Jim
Dec 18, 2013 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Solid fantasy, nothing to innovative.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
TBR
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • The Eyes of God (The Bronze Knight, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • The Last of the Renshai (Renshai Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)
  • The Iron Tower Omnibus
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • The Fifth Sorceress (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • Song of the Beast
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • The Shadow Wars (The Demi-Monde Saga, #2)
David B. Coe is an author of fantasy novels and short stories. He lives with his wife, Nancy Berner, and their two daughters on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.
He has begun writing a new historical fantasy series under the pen name D.B. Jackson. The first one is titled Thieftaker, published in 2012.
More about David B. Coe...

Lon Tobyn Chronicle (3 books)
  • The Outlanders (Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #2)
  • Eagle-Sage (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #3)
Rules of Ascension (Winds of the Forelands, #1) Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2) Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3) The Outlanders (Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #2) Eagle-Sage (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #3)