Start by marking “Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)

Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,067 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Tobyn-Ser is a gentle, bounteous land of small villages and close-knit communities, of dark woods and swift-running streams, of broad plains and clear lakes. But its idyllic peace is being disturbed by terrible rumors of mages seen committing horrible, violent acts, destroying crops, burning villages to the ground, and murdering innocents. The rumors even say that Theron m ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 591 pages
Published June 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published May 1997)

Joshua Palmatier
Mar 10, 2009 Joshua Palmatier rated it liked it
This is the first book by David B. Coe that I've read (and it's his debut novel). I'm not sure why I never got around to buying this at first, since I distinctly remember seeing it on the shelf and being interested, but it took a long time before I actually purchased it. I should have started it sooner.

The main strengths of the writing are the characterization and the worldbuilding. Coe has created a group of characters and presented these world in such a way that you are drawn in and care about
Sam Morris
Sep 08, 2014 Sam Morris rated it really liked it
Edited 10/06/2014 5:16pm

After reading and rereading this book a few times, I have come to the conclusion that this book was very well done, at least in terms of construction and plot lines. There are several things in the book that I have noticed that struck me as odd or as incomplete, so if you shall allow me to share this with you guys.

All of the construction of the mage craft was good, however, more time could have been spent on describing how well the owl or hawk bonds with the mage. Instead
Dan
Sep 24, 2010 Dan rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a great book, and Coe is probably my favorite author between these and the Winds of the Forelands and Blood of the Southlands collections.

As I did with Coe's other series, I'm going to provide my review of the entire series here.

I greatly enjoyed this series, with very few objections. I thought that the predictions of Jaryd and Alanna's strength was overwrought what with the foreshadowing already present in Amarid's Hawk, and that the plot tended to become just a bit pre
Fatbaldguy60
Mar 02, 2009 Fatbaldguy60 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. I will be picking up the other two in this trilogy. There was some sense that the two new mages were a bit more powerful than was probably realistic. However, upon reflection, they did not really do major magics, but the visions people had of them being very powerful later were slightly offputting.

I liked the magic system and would have liked more explication about the reasons owl masters are more powerful than hawk mages, and some more background on eagle mages. In addition,
Cathleen Ash
Epic fantasy at its best! Coe captures a world and its history in this fast-moving, magical adventure. Ride with Jaryd as he travels the world of Tobyn-Ser, coming to terms with his powers and the plight of the land under the oppression of mages destroying crops and laying waste to villages.
Jaryd's ready to start training the moment he leaves his family, but the trail is a difficult one and one thing after another gets in the way. Coe keeps us wrapped in the story of the present, the history of
Oliver Neubert
Dec 03, 2011 Oliver Neubert rated it it was ok
I don't know if I like this book or not.
I liked: Character development,the idea of Hawk and Owl-Mages and the binding with birds, Alayna's conflict with doubt, betrayal and finding love, the setting of the story.
I didn't like: long drawn out descriptions, repeated scenearios viewed from different point of views, modern weapon technology in an old magical story, the ending of the outlanders through a ....(I don't want to spoil the story).
In the end I skipped over the last fifty pages because I lo
T J
Jul 26, 2015 T J rated it really liked it
This is the story of Jayrd, a young man from Tobyn-Sir, finds that his nightmares are more than dreams. In a land of magic and the Order of Hawk and Owl-mages, we find that something deadly has come to destroy the peace the land has seen for centuries. This was an exciting read with many twist and turns. Looking forward to the next book The Outlanders.
Dia
Jan 22, 2013 Dia rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. A friend of mine lent it to me because we discovered our mutual love of fantasy books. Really the only thing that could have made this book better would be dragons. Instead, I got a greater appreciation for birds.

The ending would have been disappointing except I know there is a second book and it is available for me to read.
Malik Strong
Mar 27, 2013 Malik Strong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: david-b-cob
This was the first book I read by David. My mother gave it to me to read, and from there I was on my way to an awesome journey of fantasy. It wasn't until years later that I found out it was a series. This is a must read!
Paul
Dec 02, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was the first book of his that I ever read, and it instantly earned my obsession into his other works. I have much admiration for his ability to build love for characters, and then kill them off unremorsefully.
Nicole Luiken
Dec 16, 2013 Nicole Luiken rated it liked it
Shelves: sfantasy
Cool magic and an interesting world, but the pacing was too slow for my taste, with lots of travelling and description. At the beginning it felt like Jaryd would be our central character, but by the end it felt like Baden had taken over a bit. The author's first novel.
Feb 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Such a disappointment compared to his achievement with The Winds of the Forelands. Although Coe still shows himself to be an imaginative mastermind, the plot and characters just did not grab me like the Forelands series did.
Peter Smith
Aug 29, 2014 Peter Smith rated it really liked it
Nice light easy reading page turner! I like the intricate heavy plotted fantasies too, but sometimes you need a nice good vs evil page turner and this definitely doesn't disappoint.
Minouschka
Jan 24, 2012 Minouschka rated it really liked it
One of the first books fantasy books I ever bought. what an amazing book. In our bookstores there was already Harry Potter but all I could think of was to buy this book instead.
Arne
Apr 24, 2014 Arne added it
Great Book, nice start of the series
Tara Foley
Mar 21, 2017 Tara Foley rated it it was amazing
I know a guy who has this thing for world development, Mike Healy if you are reading this, Mr Coe here is able to world develop. Not sure i was pleased with how fast Jaryd was accepted as a mage though, i might have to agree with Orris, just because you bind to your familiar does not make one a full mage. There should have been at least a few more lessons :) Im just about finished the trilogy now. Looking forward to his next one.
Lillian
Holy Moses... This was... Intense.

...THAT CHAPTER ONE THOUGH. Omigosh.

I'm terrified and dazzled forever. This whole story is amazing. If you ever see it, do pick it up. But be warned that is it quite violent, and might be too frightening for some.

BUT I LOVE IT.

...Omigosh.
Sharon Skinner
Dec 02, 2008 Sharon Skinner rated it liked it
This was a good story with nicely drawn characters, but it was a bit long-winded. Perhaps I've really just forgotten just how verbose most adult fantasy writers are?
Gregory
Jun 22, 2011 Gregory rated it really liked it
Good book, decent plot. This is a reread for me, and I still enjoyed it. Cool idea of mages binding to birds.
Shannon Green
Jan 10, 2017 Shannon Green rated it liked it
Well written with an interesting style of magic. The characters were well developed and believable, which is often hard to find in fantasy. I will definitely be adding book 2 to my "to read" shelf.
Kristen
Jun 25, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-read, sff, fiction
Somewhat predictable if you've read much other fantasy, but still enjoyable enough that I'll read the other two in the trilogy.
Adam Jones
Feb 05, 2013 Adam Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular
This book is impossible to put down. It's very exciting and features a cast of excellent characters.
Jim
Dec 18, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Solid fantasy, nothing to innovative.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
TBR
Troy Mason
Dec 05, 2008 Troy Mason rated it really liked it
This is a great series, the magic system is well thought out.

Tolnik
May 13, 2012 Tolnik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
A great start to a trilogy! Captivating read.
Lauren
This by far is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. The way it was written, how in depth the detail of the land, characters, and towns were fabulous.
Emanuel
Mar 18, 2013 Emanuel rated it it was amazing
This was the first Fantasy Novel I read, and I love It.
Klint
Klint rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Haydn
Haydn rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
  • The Eyes of God (The Bronze Knight, #1)
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • The Last of the Renshai (Renshai Trilogy, #1)
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • The Iron Tower (Iron Tower, #1-3)
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)
  • The Seer King (The Seer King Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Song of the Beast
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • The Fifth Sorceress (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • In Legend Born (Chronicles of Sirkara, #1)
  • The Heart of Myrial (Shadowleague, #1)
  • Jantarové oči (Mycelium, #1)
David B. Coe is an author of fantasy novels and short stories. He lives with his wife, Nancy Berner, and their two daughters on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.
He has begun writing a new historical fantasy series under the pen name D.B. Jackson. The first one is titled Thieftaker, published in 2012.
More about David B. Coe...

Lon Tobyn Chronicle (3 books)
  • The Outlanders (Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #2)
  • Eagle-Sage (The Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #3)