Start by marking “Don't Go There! The Travel Detective's Essential Guide to the Must-Miss Places of the World” as Want to Read:

We've all suffered through bad vacations: tourist traps, endless lines, rundown hotels, and the worst airports on earth. Before you book your next trip, get all of the facts--that "idyllic" beachfront hotel could really be one of the world's hellholes.
In this follow-up to his New York Times bestseller, The Complete Travel Detective Bible, Peter Greenberg shares his experie
Published November 11th 2008 by Rodale Books (first published October 28th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Go There! The Travel Detective's Essential Guide to the Must-Miss Places of the World

Darin
Feb 01, 2009 Darin rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong: this isn't really a *bad* book. Greenberg has always produced interesting books that have taught me a lot about how to and not to go places. It's certainly a good idea for a book to note places that aren't worth going, and the author wisely steers clear of the sort of political correctness that would make the entire text worthless. However, the proper term is "referencing". It doesn't read like a travelogue, and if you try to do so a lot of the material just blends together. ...more
Heather
Jul 11, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
If you are looking to make a con list for any destination, this is the book for you.
Here are a few examples of Section Headings: Lamest Claims to Fame; Bottlenecks (bad trafic); Air Pollution- go there and don't breath; Natural Diasterous; etc.
It was an okay book. I wouldn't use it to plan a trip, though.
It was intresting looking up cities I've been to, or want to travel to, and see what is reported about there.
Ice
Apr 13, 2011 Ice rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Chris Duryee
May 12, 2015 Chris Duryee rated it liked it
I wasn't a big fan of this book. I appreciate the chapters the tell you when the best time of year to travel to certain places is but the rest just seems to be reaching a bit. I feel as though in some cases he is making mountains out of mole hills such as the case work airlines mishandling baggage. Everything is listed in number of bags per thousand. When I see that each of these airlines listed is mishandling 9 to 14 bags per thousand I don't have the same reaction the author does about it ...more
Laurie
Dec 17, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it
Peter Greenberg shares his experiences and hard-won knowledge of where not to go and why, so you can make sure your big vacation isn't to a dismal destination.
From dangerous roads, crime-ridden cities, and countries overrun with disease to depressing destinations, polluted beaches, and place that (literally) stink, the ultimate travel expert leaves no stone unturned, no garbage heap unexplored, to list the locations you should forget even exist.
Backed up by information he has been compiling for
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Feb 09, 2009 AuthorsOnTourLive! rated it it was amazing
We met Peter Greenberg when he visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver. You can listen to him talk about "Don't Go There!" here: http://www.authorsontourlive.com/?p=213

About this podcast:
Peter Greenberg is the travel editor for NBC’s Today Show and America Online. Considered the nation’s preeminent expert on travel, his bestselling books include "The Travel Detective," "Hotel Secrets from the Travel Detective," "The Traveler’s Diet," and "The Complete Travel Detective Bible." Greenberg di
Feb 25, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
For me, this fell more on the "interesting trivia" side as opposed to a helpful reference book. Most of the places he discusses are not of great travel interest, although it is good to know which airlines to avoid in Swaziland.

The bit on WHEN to visit the places everyone wants to go (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Paris, etc.) were helpful, but do you really need someone to tell you that Detroit has lots of crime and that Yemen is dangerous for tourists? Or that the Chernobyl tour should be avoided?
Jen
Aug 06, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
So far I love the writing style and the sense of humor that is mixed in with the information about each place and why it's not a good travel destination. It's refreshing.

Only 50 pages left! It's a good book, but it really makes me sad when I read about the what would have been a beautiful place if humans hadn't mucked it up. Makes me very unhappy with humanity. One of the reasons why it took me so long to go through was if I read too much of it at one time, I would get bitter. Not a good way to
B Kevin
May 01, 2013 B Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
An amusing little book. I certainly have to agree with the entry on the most wretched airport I have ever encountered: Charles de Gaulle International

"Although some complain about the smell ... the corruption ... or the crowds ... the consensus seems to be that this airport is just a poorly designed mess.
...
The problems happen when you try to transfer flights. There's no easy way to connect without going outside and trying to find a bus (wherever that may be) that actually will take you to the c
Macee
Jan 11, 2009 Macee rated it liked it
I liked this book, though it mostly features United States destinations and often reads like a compilation of others' lists (The Morgan Quitno company's annual list of top crime-ridden places, etc.). It is well researched and features a bibliography of articles, reports, etc. that the author used to supplement his choices. My favorite section was the last chapter, where the author invites other travelers/travel writers to list their must-miss places. These lists included entertaining travel ...more
Steve
Nov 30, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the anti-travel book. Instead of saying that you should go to Orlando for the theme parks, the author says why should not go to various destinations in the US and throughout the world. It certainly is light reading and probably won't change any future vacation plans but it was still a fun book to read.
Rosie Beck
Feb 04, 2009 Rosie Beck rated it it was ok
Instead of places to see, here are some you might want to pass. Looking for pollution,
places that are toxic, where the worst natural disasters usually occur, exciting exotic diseases you can cat, etc. Most places mentioned are ones you wouldn't normally be checking out, and the writing can, at times, be annoying. Interesting for travellers, tho'
Amanda
Apr 12, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I really enjoyed this book. I love to travel, but I don't always end up loving everywhere I visit. It seems like you never hear about the bad stuff, which is what makes me so facinated by this book. Also, reading it helps me realize that I don't have to love everywhere in the world to be a "good" traveller.
Lea
Sep 04, 2011 Lea rated it it was ok
There were only 3 places in the whole book of 'Don't go there' that we were considering - Mumbai, Johannesburg, and Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. So while it was interesting, it wasn't especially useful nor was it what I expected. The best part of the book was the last 15 or so pages, where different well-known travelers gave their individual top 10 'don't go there' lists.
Hilaryball
Oct 07, 2009 Hilaryball rated it liked it
When I read the description of this book, I felt like I'd struck gold. I couldn't wait to read about places that left the author's stomach churning. However, the book disappointed. It simply listed places, albeit under specific categorizations, without any emotional content or humor. I thought the book was going to be something that it wasn't.
Bryce
Oct 22, 2009 Bryce rated it it was ok
Not a particular helpful travel guide... and not even full of juicy insider gossip, which is what I was guiltily hoping for. Filled with mostly common sense tips, but would probably be helpful for a travel newbie.
Rebekah
Jun 25, 2012 Rebekah rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel, 2012
This book is more a compendium of facts and figures about areas with high crime rates, bad water, infectious diseases, dirty hotels, and pollution.

I was hoping it would be an interesting summary of tourist traps around the world to avoid.

Disappointing.
Jeannie
Nov 29, 2009 Jeannie rated it it was amazing
this was such an interesting book, I've learned more about places I never even wanted to go to to begin with than I ever needed to know! Fast paced and factual, if you like travel books this one is a must read.
David Ward
May 30, 2014 David Ward rated it liked it
Don’t Go There: The Travel Detective’s Essential Guide to the Must-Miss Places of the World by Peter Greenberg (Rodale 2009)( 910.4). An experienced travel writer shares the worst cities, beaches, countries and hotels, and other sites to be avoided. My rating: 6/10, finished 2010.
Linda
Sep 08, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok
I liked this book until I read his recommendation not to go to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. His reasons why did not make much sense to someone who has been there a lot. There is NO reason to avoid CR, and that made me suspicious of his other places to be avoided also.
Nathaniel
Aug 17, 2014 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
This is the sort of book that was fun when it first came out (it made a great bathroom book), but it's a bit one-dimensional and now pretty dated. Might still be interesting for an hour or so if you come across it in a library or for a couple bucks used, but I wouldn't buy it for full price.
Carol
Feb 15, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is really fun to browse through. It is kind of like the opposite of 1000 Places to See Before You Die. I was especially amused by places that made the book that I have actually traveled to.
Milton
Oct 09, 2009 Milton rated it it was amazing
It's a travel journalist book and what I like most is the conectration over the places that are being contaminaded in very different ways, not only in the U.S. but abroad.
Steve Clark
Aug 02, 2011 Steve Clark rated it liked it
Author tells you all the bad places you should avoid, due to crime, pollution, disease, traffic, stench, etc. It has some funny points, but sometimes bogged down in statistics a bit much.
Phil
Jul 13, 2011 Phil rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
Dopey - I expected a bit more from peter Greenberg. A recitation of poorly (well, grossly) "run hotels, worn out airport tales, etc.

Don't bother with "Don't Go There."
Carol Vuillemenot
Feb 25, 2009 Carol Vuillemenot rated it liked it
If you like to travel, borrow this one from the library. Good chapters about worst airports, cruise lines, and hotels.
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
Not something you sit down and read cover to cover, but lots of interesting information. Fun for skimming. And for convincing husbands they do NOT really want to take a cruise. :)
Chris
May 03, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: globetrotting
Well, this was certainly a different type of travel book. Places NOT to go, instead of places TO go. It was humorous and sad at the same time. Very interesting.
Butterflycager
Butterflycager rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Gutsy Women: Travel Tips and Wisdom for the Road
  • The Ridiculous Race
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into Hollywood
  • Adventures of a Continental Drifter
  • Mississippi Solo: A River Quest
  • Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes
  • Two for the Road: Our Love Affair with American Food
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
  • 1000 Places to See Before You Die Traveler's Journal (Travel Journal)
  • The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World... via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes
  • To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Kabul in Winter: Life Without Peace in Afghanistan
  • Travel Writing
  • Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World
  • Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.