Start by marking “Ten O'Clock Horses” as Want to Read:
Ten O'Clock Horses

Ten O'Clock Horses

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  6 reviews
It is 1962. The first avocado pears are appearing at the greengrocer's, people are thinking about carpeting their lavatories and boxing in their banisters, and Ronnie Glover, housepainter, husband and father, is feeling the first vague stirrings of discontent with his life. Then, out of the blue, the fabulous, sophisticated (and married) Jacqueline bursts into his life and ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Transworld Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ten O'Clock Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten O'Clock Horses

Frances
Loved it. Laurie Graham must be roughly my own age and her descriptions of aspiring, working class England in the 1960s was very accurate. I remember when not everyone had a telephone and even fewer people had a car and everyone was still watching the pennies. She captures exactly the feeling of better things ahead - but not quite yet.
There's a lot of contrast between the different characters' outlooks - some optimistic, yearning for something better, and others dull and stuck-in-a-rut. And some
Edel
This was such a funny book.I would suddenly burst out laughing where ever I happened to be reading the book much to the amusement of others.. It is quite explicit in parts and some of the discriptions are stomach achingly funny.. I loved the character of Ronnie.. there was something so real and volunerable about him that you wanted madame and him to have a great love affair even though he was married ..I think it gave him some excitement in his life that he clearly did not have before he met Mad ...more
Polly
The edition of this which I read had a pink cover which made it look like some chic-lit drivel, so I'm not sure why I picked it up. But I'm glad I did. What we actually have here is a nicely-observed bit of male middle-aged angst set in the 1960s, with good surrounding period detail, humour and pathos and some genuine emotion. I've never read anything else by the author, so I'm not sure if this is representative of her other works, but I'd give them a try based on this!
Diane
Great first read of the year. 3.5 stars if it was possible. Unusual style, took some getting used to but lovely, and poignant. If you grew up in the 60/70's in England you'll find it all the more entertaining. Love Laurie Graham.
Pauline Midwinter
I really enjoyed this book - its style is very fluid and easy. The characters are quite loveable and the plot very realistic. It's a slice of life from another time.
Verity W
Not as good as others of hers I've read- I think this is one of her earliest - her writing's definately developed since.
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Aparna
Aparna marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Bryan Irving
Bryan Irving marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 02, 2015
Carol Best
Carol Best marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Juju
Juju added it
Aug 30, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Indu Muralidharan
Indu Muralidharan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Carole
Carole added it
Mar 31, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Laurie Graham was first published at the advanced age of 40. She is the author of THE TEN O'CLOCK HORSES, PERFECT MERINGUES, THE DRESS CIRCLE, DOG DAYS GLENN MILLER NIGHTS, THE FUTURE HOMEMAKERS OF AMERICA, THE UNFORTUNATES, MR STARLIGHT, GONE WITH THE WINDSORS, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING KENNEDY, LIFE ACCORDING TO LUBKA, and AT SEA.

Mother of four and grandmother of nine, Laurie also writes and appea
More about Laurie Graham...
The Future Homemakers of America The Importance of Being Kennedy Gone with the Windsors The Unfortunates The Great Husband Hunt