Start by marking “Johnny Cash” as Want to Read:
Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  22 reviews
To millions, Johnny Cash was the rebellious Man in Black, the unabashed patriot, the redeemed Christian-the king of country music. But Johnny Cash was also an uncertain country boy whose dreams were born in the cotton fields of Arkansas and who struggled his entire life with a guilt-ridden childhood, addictions, and self-doubt. A sensitive songwriter with profound powers o ...more
Published September 4th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Cash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny Cash

Daniel
There's no doubt Michael Streissguth faced a challenge in recounting Johnny Cash's life story, one overshadowed by mythmaking during much of his life, and even more so during his career revival in the '90s, following his death in 2003, and after the release of the "Walk the Line" biopic in 2005.

"Johnny Cash: The Biography," a straightforward and relatively brief recounting of the singer's life, improves in its second half as Streissguth's awkward attempts at colloquial writing give way to more s
Taylor
In the book, Johnny Cash: the biography, the author talks about Johnny Cash's life and all the hardships he had to overcome. The author states his purpose directly. You can tell he states this directly because he states his purpose through out the book. He starts the book off at the beginning of Johnny's life and continues to tell the legacy of Johnny Cash.

The theme of this book is that he never gave up and that he stayed determined. You can tell this because while Johnny was famous he got in
Jay
I recently finished the newer bio of Johnny Cash by Robert Hilburn Johnny Cash The Life by Robert Hilburn, and a while back I read the manga biography “I See a Darkness” by Reinhard Kleist Johnny Cash I See a Darkness by Reinhard Kleist. I don’t believe I have ever delved into a topic like the life of a person with so many sources (and there's more where these came from!). And I’m really not that big of a fan, but this is one interesting life story. In this biography, I found the writing more like a traditional biography. The larger stories of Johnny’s life are the same as in th ...more
Jeffrey
As much as I carry Johnny Cash's music in my heart with a fulsome love (and Folsom Prison), everything else written or made about him seems to pale in comparison. The movie Walk the Line was a real pleasure, but this book makes you realize how the happy ending was a set up; Johnny's demons did take a six-year hiatus, but they returned to fuck him for most of the rest of his life.
I like this about this bio. Steissguth knows his subject and states the facts, so it's not Kitty Kelly. You sense he r
Kole Sanders
This is a good book to read if you like country and rock. Johnny Cash is a man amoung man and the last of his kind, and that is a frontter man. The auther who wrote this is Michael Streissguth and he want to tell us about Cash and how he grew up over the years. Like who his mom was and how she help him get in to music, and his dad and how he made Cash the man he was. The theme of the book is to tell people about Cash. Through out the book you get a good look at his life, who he met, and how he w ...more
Brian Young
Johnny Cash was/and forever will be the king of country. The Man in Black, however, was portrayed in this book as a TOTAL snooze fest. I LOVE his music, ive listened to almost every one of his albums, but this book does not do him justice. Reading is something I enjoy, but I could not pick up this book without just wanting to pass out. Not Johnnys fault at all, as he lived his life like a party, except more depressing. Michael Streissguth just did not write with much conviction, which honostly s ...more
Wendy
Whereas "Cash: The Autobiography" was a window into the soul of The Man in Black, "Johnny Cash: The Biography" reads more like the abstract for his Nashville homestead. Although I appreciated getting the facts that were left out of "Walk the Line's" romanticized storyline, I often pined for a biography that maybe wasn't perfect but told a damn good story, just like one of Cash's songs.
Pia
After Walk this Line romanticized Cash's life and his marriage to June Carter Cash as the woman who saved him from addiction, this book respectfully sets the record straight. Cash, although he was sober for periods at a time, never fully recovered from his drug addiction. An interesting read, but too much just a straight-up biography to be fully engrossing.
Jamie
This crushed the happily ever after Walk The Line left me with.

Besides that personal disappointment, I didn't think was a very deep or thorough telling of Johnny Cash. First it isn't about the man at all, and it's more like bullet points of his career instead of an actual telling of Johnny Cash and his music.
Adam Calhoon
this book would be a great book for music lovers, or just the hardcore johnny cash fans, it dose give alot of detail and at sometimes is allite slow but will pick up. there is alot of detail but overall the auther did a good job on his bio. i liked the book at times but it gets boreing towrds the end of the book.
Susan
Well-written & interesting- off to a good start. I am not a Johnny Cash fan.
I didn't have time to finish this book. Given that the subject was interesting but not compelling, I put it aside in favor of faster-moving reading. Might try again this summer.
Chelsea
This was a very interesting book to read. It really brought you into the life of Johnny Cash. Most people look passed who he is but it really shows just how many obstacles he got passed to get to where he is.
Ben Chartier
It was a great read. Very in depth. I learned a lot about the man in black and the situations that brought him to the fore front of Country music. The construction, demolition and then re-birth of a legend.
Jon
A well-researched and unbiased look at the life of JR Cash devoid of gushing admiration or poisonous anger. In this book I learned a thing or two about Johnny.
Dad
The book showed both sides of Cash and you knew that he was very human.I think the book would have been better with a little less detail.
Mary
I wish this book came with a CD - I just wanted to be listening to all the songs as they came up in this biography.
Kristen
This book was extremely boring. Johnny Cash lead an interesting life, yet this book still sucked. Disappointing.
Derek
Very comprehensive biography with excellent insight into both his musical career and personal life.
Robin
I love Johnny Cash, but thought this book dragged.
Cory
Easy read - but I learned a few cool things about Cash.
catechism
this one started off pretty strong and then went downhill.
Duder
JC is da bomb.
Kristin Nador
Kristin Nador marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ricki Finlay
Ricki Finlay marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Carlee Zarb
Carlee Zarb marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Veikko Muikku
Veikko Muikku marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
  • Waylon: An Autobiography
  • Louis Armstrong: An Extravagant Life
  • Man in Black
  • The Dylanologists: Adventures in the Land of Bob
  • Delta Blues: The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters Who Revolutionized American Music
  • Django: The Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend
  • Willie: An Autobiography
  • Edward R. Murrow and the Birth of Broadcast Journalism
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker
  • Johnny Cash: The Life
Outlaw: Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and the Renegades of Nashville Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison: The Making of a Masterpiece Ring Of Fire: The Johnny Cash Reader Always Been There: Rosanne Cash, the List, and the Spirit of Southern Music Eddy Arnold: Pioneer of the Nashville Sound