There Is A Season: A Memoir

There Is A Season: A Memoir

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Believed by many to be one of the finest poets of his generation, Patrick Lane is also a passionate gardener. He lives on Vancouver Island, a place of uncommon beauty, where the climate is mild, the air is soft, and the growing season lasts nearly all year long.

Lane has gardened for as long as he can remember, and sees his garden’s life as intertwined with his own. And whe...more
Published February 25th 2005 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 2004)

Bonnie
This is beautifully written: honest, full of great observations, a gardener's delight.
Rosana
I should try reading Lanes’ poetry. I like his use of language very much. But in this memoir he felt so intoxicated with his own words, he sometimes went on and on without any thread of a story to hold me there. I love language, but I need plot more than just once in a long while.

I also felt betrayed by the idea that this is a memoir. It is more a confession and a diary. He does reminisce about his life, but it is done in such way that at times I felt I was eavesdropping in a soliloquy that was...more
Erin Dasmith
This book was filled with beautiful imagery. This man almost made me not hate insects no small feat I must say! The book is poignant,heartwrenching and heartwarming.
Leanne Fournier
I had the great privilege of hearing Richard read from this book and then to have the opportunity to ask him the question afterward that was foremost in my mind: "If your daughter (who I knew he was estranged from) could say one thing to you, what would you want to hear?" He asked me to step out of the lineup of people waiting to sign his book, because he said that answer deserved more time and attention than the people waiting in line would have the patience for. We chatted for a long time but...more
Courtney
Kind of mixed feelings about this book. I really liked his writing style, and the parts where he was writing about his garden. It's all very calm and relaxing in tone. The only things I'm not as fond of were the 'flashbacks'. I don't want to say I didn't like them. It's not that, exactly - it's a memoir, and it's stuff that happened to the author. It's a huge part of the book, and it's not like I think he should have left it out of anything.
It's just that some of the stuff he writes about reme...more
Anna
You know how people criticize Tolkein for his devotion to description instead of narrative? I have no idea if there was meant to be a story in this book at all, because I read thirty pages of what his garden looks like in minute detail, but without enough generalization for me to grasp the appearance of anything bigger than a pinecone, let alone the entire garden.

Let's just say that this degree of description over narrative doesn't work for me. I just couldn't do it. It's been a long time since...more
Jack
Aug 27, 2008 Jack rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jose Bakker
Recommended to Jack by: Barbara Scott
Having received most of Canada's top literary awards and now a recovering alcoholic, he reviews his life using seasons in his garden as stepping stones to the past. He is now married to Lorna Crozier, another of Canada's foremost poets. It's a great gardening book with descriptions done in almost poetic language. At the same time the stories he intersperses of his past life are often painful.
Christina
The first full book I read in 2013, it was an interesting, poetic way to hear how Kane, a talented writer, deals in recovery.

I liked the memories of growing up in B.C. as a poor family, as he then supports his own family, mixed with his love of his garden, how it heals in a way nothing else can for him.

The book dragged a bit, but I enjoyed it.
Candis
This book I have passed on to many of my closest fellow readers. It touched me to the core. Most likely one of the most important books I
Have read in the past few years.. I also was born in Nelson BC and know much of this landscape; physical and emotionally.
Ellen
Aug 05, 2009 Ellen added it
I only got about half way through... found it depressing and slow moving at a time when I was looking for something more uplifting. The writing is very good however...
Irene
Live on and hurrah to flowers, plants and history.
Patricia
An open, honest memoir by a much-loved author.
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Claire Eastlund
Claire Eastlund marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Allyron
Allyron marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Renée Jackson-Harper
Renée Jackson-Harper marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Carol Shaw
Carol Shaw marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
MD
MD marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Wenting
Wenting marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Joanne
Joanne added it
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
19961
Patrick Lane was born in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada, on March 26, 1939. He has no formal education beyond high school in Vernon, B.C. From 1957 to 1968 with his young wife, Mary, he raised three children, Mark, Christopher, and Kathryn, and began working at a variety of jobs, from common labourer, truck driver, Cat skinner, chokerman, boxcar loader, Industrial First-Aid Man in the northern b...more
More about Patrick Lane...
Red Dog, Red Dog What the Stones Remember: A Life Rediscovered The Bare Plum of Winter Rain Go Leaving Strange Witness: Selected Poems 1962-2010

“‎Without a knowledge of where words come from, things disappear, history is lost.” 3 likes