The Industrial Revolutionaries: The Creation Of The Modern World 1776 1914

The Industrial Revolutionaries: The Creation Of The Modern World 1776 1914

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Paperback
Published by Atlantic (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Industrial Revolutionaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Industrial Revolutionaries

Bruce
Gavin Weightman is no James Burke. This is no smoothly flowing history presentation. Having said that it suffers from few syntax errors, rather mostly clumsiness of expression, and a certain inability to moderate tone of importance. Hence the value of the information presented, which is significant, must be dug out with care and diligence rather like carrying on a conversation with a talking computer or one who suffers from some forms of autism. I should be tempted to say I have read better writ...more
Upom
Took me long enough, but I finished this book. This book is probably the best general history of the Industrial Revolution I have read. With a particular emphasis on the development of technology by individuals and the spread of industry around the world, Weightman looks at the rise of industry in Great Britain, the United States, Japan, and Germany, and how various political, economic, and social reasons for the spread of industry. Extremely well researched and detailed, the book covers everyth...more
Nick
Only the sheer scope of the industrial revolution prevents this book from being a 5-star read in the end. The author tries to cover too many inventors, too many failed inventions, and too many false starts, in the effort to explode the myths (Edison wasn't much of an inventor, James Watt didn't invent the steam engine after seeing a tea kettle boil, and so on) and celebrate the victories of Victorian invention. But what is here is marvelous, if chaotic, and you come away with an appreciation of...more
Sam
It was OK. It read like a jumble of Whose Who in Industrial Era inventors rather than a discussion of history, until the end where some insight was provided. I think it could have been done better.
C.H. Cobb
Weightman has written an interesting account of the genesis of the modern industrial world. I enjoy history, and this book did not disappoint. I was reading it as research for book two of my Outlander Chronicles series, and I was looking for the kinds of problems and setbacks experienced in the world of steam. It was helpful for that, and also for the advances and issues in smelting iron ore, and processing iron and steel.

I'm not going to attempt a thorough review here, but some of the pros of t...more
J.M. Hushour
To me, a welcome non-academic, jargoncrap work of history, this one focusing on how "inventors" of things (Watt, Edison, etc.) were actually full of crap and were merely innovators on ideas that other people had had. The Industrial Revolution was about the creative spirit? Hogwash, says Weightman. These assholes just wanted to make some cash! That aside, this is an entertaining and light look at how things like steel, light bulbs, and bicycles (that part was great!) came about. There are some go...more
Patrick Andersen
Good high level overview of the industrial revolution. Doesn't burrow down into specifics of how any particular innovation works which is frustrating to the technically minded but might be better for the casual reader. The flow was challenging; a particular individual would be followed about until he bumped into another important individual, then we get to learn his life story up until the junction, then the narrative goes forward.

More than a half dozen typos, which looks poorly on the editor mo...more
G.
An amazing compilation history. Lots of names and places gets both dry and confusing at times. Chapters can easily be read separately to learn about a particular industry.
Daniel Kukwa
I very much enjoyed this work's writing style...it's a smooth, fascinating & pleasant read. It also assumes some reader knowledge of the industrial revolution, and therefore dispenses with what could be long & tedious exposition for beginners. However, it's organization & structure tends to be very loose. It tries for a vague, chronological order, but it does tend to go off on tangents a bit too often for my taste.
Matt Erickson
I already love this book. Very well researched. this is the authoritative work on the industrial revolution. It gives names and ties them to today, "Promoters of railways.. were just as important to their establishment as the people who built them." As the book states, the narrative stops in 1914, "all the essentials are by then in place." I feel transported to some machine museum in britain by reading.
Sarah Smith
This book did a great job of showing me how the Industrial Revolution was actually a series of people thinking, "How could I improve this? How I could I make this aspect of life easier?" It was very interesting, especially the part of how Japan opened up its borders to trade again.
Converse
Well written overview of American, European, and Japanese economic and industrial development, starting with British history. The accomplishments of the various business people and inventors can however blur together sometimes, as there as so many of them.
Rosie
I'm glad I read this book, but I'm also glad to be done with it! It was interesting, but it was also dry at times. History is important, though, so I don't regret reading this book.
Sarah Harkness
I loved this book, just the right combination of fact and good stories. Well written, I would have liked more of it!
Patricrk patrick
Quite interesting to see what the real story was in the massive change that ushered in modern life.
Doug
after 2 chapters I was bored to tears, couldn't read anymore.
William Gibson
Jun 18, 2012 William Gibson is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A completely different perspective on the period
Andrew
Inovation is wonderful.
Aika
Dec 14, 2009 Aika is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book tackles every single detail or thing during the start of the industrial development in England
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Kate Mckelvey
Kate Mckelvey marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Aug 23, 2014
Beth Pendergrass
Beth Pendergrass marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Henrik Hansen
Henrik Hansen marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Dalan Cill
Dalan Cill marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ivan
Ivan is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Frozen Water Trade: A True Story Signor Marconi's Magic Box: The Most Remarkable Invention Of The 19th Century & The Amateur Inventor Whose Genius Sparked A Revolution Signor Marconi's Magic Box London's Thames: The River That Shaped a City and Its History The Frozen Water Trade (Text Only)