Start by marking “Evening News” as Want to Read:
Evening News

Evening News

Nine year-old Teddy is playing next door with his best friend when Eric pulls out his father's handgun and hands it to Teddy. The telephone rings; the gun goes off, shooting -- and killing -- Teddy's two-year-old half sister Trina, who was playing in a wading pool in the yard outside, with Giselle, their mother, by her side.
Thus begins Marly Swick's second novel after the
Published April 11th 2003 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Evening News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evening News

Imelda
Apr 21, 2010 Imelda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book, I forgot to re-read what the book was actually about. Wow, it's one intense book. Not a light book whatsoever. Tragic story about a 9 year old boy who accidentally shoots his little sister. It's an eye into how a family struggles with the situation after which is difficult to say the least. A book worth reading and well written. I had a hard time putting the book down even though it was not a light book. The ending threw me off which I liked. Great book!
Joyce Mcclaran
Feb 18, 2014 Joyce Mcclaran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2004 and was deeply moved by it. I thought about it weekly for months after reading it. Then in 2014, 10 years later I find the app Goodreads and want to include this novel but I can't think of the title. After a internet search on the plot I found it. This review is more about how the book made me feel because to be honest I can not remember the details. Although the subject matter is heart wrenching it was thought provoking too. How would I react, what if this happened to m ...more
Rachel
Oct 20, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Nov 03, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very intense and moving story about a family who suffers a terrible loss when a 9 year old boy accidently shoots his baby sister. The author did an excellent job of keeping politics out of it and focused on the emotional disarray of teh family and their grieving and healing process. That being said..this type of accident is extremely rare- guns save more people than they accidently kill, although the media would have you believe otherwise.
Shay Caroline
Jun 10, 2014 Shay Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when your child does the unforgivable? Giselle is a returning college student on her second marriage; she has a nine year old son from her first marriage, and a nearly two year old little girl with her second husband. One day while she studies in the back yard and her daughter plays in her wading pool, her son goes next door to play with his friend. The friend knows where his father keeps his new pistol, and he pilfers the key to get it out. He insists that his friend handle it, a ...more
Joanne
May 04, 2011 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the subject matter, not a feel good book. Dan and Giselle are the
parents of 2-year-old Trina who is accidentally shot by her half brother.
Teddy is over at a friends playing with a gun. Truthfully, I got a little
bored with Giselle dealing with her loss by drinking and running back home
to her cocoon in Nebraska. She had a lot of regrets about how her life
turned out. Maybe I thought she would be a superwoman and be able to pull
the family back to some normalcy. Dan's dealings seemed more m
Jhoanna
This isn't really "cheery" reading, per se, but you will steamroll through Marly Swick's Evening News. A good counterpart to that other news-grabbing novel, Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Keven, Swick's novel takes the other tack on child gunshot victims, those killed accidentally by other children. In this case, Giselle's nine-year-old son Teddy is playing with the neighbor dad's gun and accidentally kills his two-year-old half-sister. Swick takes the reader through a thorough examinati ...more
Bree
Sep 10, 2007 Bree rated it it was ok
You can always tell when authors don't have kids but want to write about them. The way she's portrayed 9-year-old Teddy is pretty spot-on (my son is also 9), but 23-month old Trina was laughable. Learning her colors?? The words she was able to say?? As if. Babies are smart but she was a bit ahead of herself here...

Otherwise the book was decent. I found Giselle annoying at times, and felt quite sympathetic to Teddy's situation...I didn't really like Dan at all, he just seemed to fragile.

Other tha
Christina
The first 150 pages flew by for me. Unfortunately, I had a real hard time getting through the next 100. I think the book just stabbed on about feelings so much so that I was sick of reading about them. I know that sounds horrible but it just dragged on for me. I finally buckled down to finish the book and I did. The third part flew a little faster for me, kept my attention. Still, I just didn't walk away from this book feeling fulfilled. I was just happy I had finished it. Sorry to any fans out ...more
Tabi34
Nov 12, 2008 Tabi34 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No
Ugh! I had such high hopes for this book. But it fell short. What could've been a great psychological thriller just went blah. It took me forever to read it and I only finished it because I kept hoping that it would get better. 9-year-old accidently shoots and kills his half sister and the family basically falls apart. No in-depth feeling. I didn't care what happened to the characters and I so wanted to like or hate someone. The ex-hubby theme was boring. There was just no chemistry in this book ...more
Peggy
Apr 25, 2016 Peggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book with its tragic beginning when a 9 year old boy accidentally shoots his 2 year old sister is incredibly hard to read because it is so depressing. Your only reward for persevering is a stick figure villain in the boy's stepfather (he is the dead child's father) and familiar description of emotional turmoil. I have never avoided sad books. The good ones leave you feeling that you have a better understanding of the shared human experience. This is not one of those books.
Judy
Feb 24, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books you pick up at a used book sale and say "what the heck" that then surprises you with how wonderful it is. Swick is a terrific writer and does an incredible job with character development. Evening News is a tough story -- an in-depth look at how each of us grieves differently with a realistic ending that pleased me.
Emanuella
Jul 21, 2007 Emanuella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the story of what happens to a family after a 9 year old son accidentally shoots his infant sister. It's an interesting character study on grief and blame, but it's about as depressing as you can get. I thought it was similar to Judith Guest and her books Ordinary People, in which a family grieves a lost son, and Errands in which a family grieves a lost father.
Sarah Sammis
The Evening News has to be the most depressing book I've read so far in 2006. It slowly and painfully shows the recovery process (if that's even possible) after accidental shooting death of a 2-year-old. The book is well written and not forcefully melodramatic but the topic was still so emotional and visceral that I found it very difficult to read.
Arnetra
Sep 09, 2007 Arnetra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-finish
its started out slow and it remained that way until I put it down. Its a story about a loss. A little boy was playing with a gun at his neighbor's house, the gun accidentally goes off and hits his little sister whose in her pool with their mother. Getting past this tragedy is hard for the family because truly its not the little boys fault.
Annalisa
I read this because I loved Paper Wings, but was disappointed that it did not have the same magical prose. It's the story of a boy playing with his friend's gun when it goes off shooting his baby sister. The story drags, as I suppose life would stand still from that day forward, but the characters didn't have the same power or pull.
Mary
I started this book while on vacation and it finally pulled me away from long nights of solitaire and Facebook and back into serious reading. There is a lot of pain in this story and at times it felt as though it would never end. At times the book felt that way too.
Joanie
Sep 24, 2008 Joanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to say that you really liked a book that's just so sad. While playing with a neighbor's gun a 9 year old boy accidentally shoots his toddler aged half sister. What follows is a heart wrenching story about how the family deals with the tragic loss.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazing...it really caught my attention and was especially personal because of something that happened when i was a child...
Suziep11
Jun 21, 2010 Suziep11 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very different story about an accidental shooting told through the Mother and the 9 year old boy. Very depressing.
4.0 on a 5.0 scale
Bobbi Day
A fairly good story but the ending was pretty abrupt. I wanted to know how the main characters got to where they were after 10 years.
Renee
Aug 07, 2015 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come... still meditating on whether the writing is to blame or whether the characterisations were so good that I am still hating on themes and characters within it.
Mallory
Oct 27, 2015 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
A story about a family and the tragic accident that changes the family dynamics. I would not recommend this book if you are a parent.
Janinaraska
Jul 06, 2008 Janinaraska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that reminds us that our children are a gift. A 9 yr old boy accidently shoots his baby sister. Each member of the family is affected differently. Interesting chemistry and amazing insight.
Jen
Feb 25, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of those "what would you do?" books. Such sad subject matter, but I never really cared for any of the characters.
Christine Sanchez
Jul 27, 2013 Christine Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-finds
Sad but very well written book. This book takes you through the motions that one family must go through to heal the best they can after a terrible accident.
Mar 30, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very hard read but so well written that I still remember it years later. There are not many books I can say that about.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Beatriz
Beatriz rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
  • Night Swimming
  • Law of Gravity
  • Baggage
  • Sunburn
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Hot Plastic
  • A Child's Book of True Crime
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • Still Missing