Start by marking “Evening News” as Want to Read:
Evening News

Evening News

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Nine year-old Teddy is playing next door with his best friend when Eric pulls out his father's handgun and hands it to Teddy. The telephone rings; the gun goes off, shooting -- and killing -- Teddy's two-year-old half sister Trina, who was playing in a wading pool in the yard outside, with Giselle, their mother, by her side.
Thus begins Marly Swick's second novel after the
Published April 11th 2003 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Evening News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evening News

Rachel
Imelda
When I picked up this book, I forgot to re-read what the book was actually about. Wow, it's one intense book. Not a light book whatsoever. Tragic story about a 9 year old boy who accidentally shoots his little sister. It's an eye into how a family struggles with the situation after which is difficult to say the least. A book worth reading and well written. I had a hard time putting the book down even though it was not a light book. The ending threw me off which I liked. Great book!
Erin
This was a very intense and moving story about a family who suffers a terrible loss when a 9 year old boy accidently shoots his baby sister. The author did an excellent job of keeping politics out of it and focused on the emotional disarray of teh family and their grieving and healing process. That being said..this type of accident is extremely rare- guns save more people than they accidently kill, although the media would have you believe otherwise.
Shay Caroline
What do you do when your child does the unforgivable? Giselle is a returning college student on her second marriage; she has a nine year old son from her first marriage, and a nearly two year old little girl with her second husband. One day while she studies in the back yard and her daughter plays in her wading pool, her son goes next door to play with his friend. The friend knows where his father keeps his new pistol, and he pilfers the key to get it out. He insists that his friend handle it, a ...more
Joyce Mcclaran
I read this book in 2004 and was deeply moved by it. I thought about it weekly for months after reading it. Then in 2014, 10 years later I find the app Goodreads and want to include this novel but I can't think of the title. After a internet search on the plot I found it. This review is more about how the book made me feel because to be honest I can not remember the details. Although the subject matter is heart wrenching it was thought provoking too. How would I react, what if this happened to m ...more
Christina
The first 150 pages flew by for me. Unfortunately, I had a real hard time getting through the next 100. I think the book just stabbed on about feelings so much so that I was sick of reading about them. I know that sounds horrible but it just dragged on for me. I finally buckled down to finish the book and I did. The third part flew a little faster for me, kept my attention. Still, I just didn't walk away from this book feeling fulfilled. I was just happy I had finished it. Sorry to any fans out ...more
Bree
You can always tell when authors don't have kids but want to write about them. The way she's portrayed 9-year-old Teddy is pretty spot-on (my son is also 9), but 23-month old Trina was laughable. Learning her colors?? The words she was able to say?? As if. Babies are smart but she was a bit ahead of herself here...

Otherwise the book was decent. I found Giselle annoying at times, and felt quite sympathetic to Teddy's situation...I didn't really like Dan at all, he just seemed to fragile.

Other tha
Jhoanna
This isn't really "cheery" reading, per se, but you will steamroll through Marly Swick's Evening News. A good counterpart to that other news-grabbing novel, Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Keven, Swick's novel takes the other tack on child gunshot victims, those killed accidentally by other children. In this case, Giselle's nine-year-old son Teddy is playing with the neighbor dad's gun and accidentally kills his two-year-old half-sister. Swick takes the reader through a thorough examinati ...more
Joanne
Based on the subject matter, not a feel good book. Dan and Giselle are the
parents of 2-year-old Trina who is accidentally shot by her half brother.
Teddy is over at a friends playing with a gun. Truthfully, I got a little
bored with Giselle dealing with her loss by drinking and running back home
to her cocoon in Nebraska. She had a lot of regrets about how her life
turned out. Maybe I thought she would be a superwoman and be able to pull
the family back to some normalcy. Dan's dealings seemed more m
Lisa
Tragic accident and how it affects a family. Quite good.
Tabi34
Dec 11, 2008 Tabi34 rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No
Ugh! I had such high hopes for this book. But it fell short. What could've been a great psychological thriller just went blah. It took me forever to read it and I only finished it because I kept hoping that it would get better. 9-year-old accidently shoots and kills his half sister and the family basically falls apart. No in-depth feeling. I didn't care what happened to the characters and I so wanted to like or hate someone. The ex-hubby theme was boring. There was just no chemistry in this book ...more
Emanuella
This is the story of what happens to a family after a 9 year old son accidentally shoots his infant sister. It's an interesting character study on grief and blame, but it's about as depressing as you can get. I thought it was similar to Judith Guest and her books Ordinary People, in which a family grieves a lost son, and Errands in which a family grieves a lost father.
Sarah Sammis
The Evening News has to be the most depressing book I've read so far in 2006. It slowly and painfully shows the recovery process (if that's even possible) after accidental shooting death of a 2-year-old. The book is well written and not forcefully melodramatic but the topic was still so emotional and visceral that I found it very difficult to read.
Arnetra
its started out slow and it remained that way until I put it down. Its a story about a loss. A little boy was playing with a gun at his neighbor's house, the gun accidentally goes off and hits his little sister whose in her pool with their mother. Getting past this tragedy is hard for the family because truly its not the little boys fault.
Annalisa
I read this because I loved Paper Wings, but was disappointed that it did not have the same magical prose. It's the story of a boy playing with his friend's gun when it goes off shooting his baby sister. The story drags, as I suppose life would stand still from that day forward, but the characters didn't have the same power or pull.
Joanie
It's hard to say that you really liked a book that's just so sad. While playing with a neighbor's gun a 9 year old boy accidentally shoots his toddler aged half sister. What follows is a heart wrenching story about how the family deals with the tragic loss.
Janinaraska
A book that reminds us that our children are a gift. A 9 yr old boy accidently shoots his baby sister. Each member of the family is affected differently. Interesting chemistry and amazing insight.
Emily
Super depressing. Sad for the boy who accidentally did the shooting, sad for the parents, sad for the break-up of their marriage, and sad for the "nobody wins" ending.
Christine Sanchez
Sad but very well written book. This book takes you through the motions that one family must go through to heal the best they can after a terrible accident.
Suziep11
This is a very different story about an accidental shooting told through the Mother and the 9 year old boy. Very depressing.
4.0 on a 5.0 scale
Trish
this book was amazing...it really caught my attention and was especially personal because of something that happened when i was a child...
Jen
One of those "what would you do?" books. Such sad subject matter, but I never really cared for any of the characters.
Elizabeth
What happens to a family and neighbors when a 9 y.o. accidentally kills his sister.
Lyndsay
It's a decent read but it was too long. There were many parts where it dragged.
Carrie
Wow. Heartbreaking and thought provoking. A good read but watch out, tears are likely.
Mich
tried to read.. liked another of her books.. but this one droned on for me
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read this several years ago and thought it was a good story.
Rebecca
Great read. Still sticks with me after 7 years or so.
Colleen
Sad story, but good. Kept my attention, easy read.
Lynn
OK, but not remarkable enough to recommend.
  • Round Rock
  • Law of Gravity
  • The Most Wanted
  • A Child's Book of True Crime
  • Baggage
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • Night Swimming
  • Sunburn
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Secrecy
  • The Only Girl in the Car
  • The House Gun
  • Mapping the Edge
  • Hot Plastic
  • The Blue Hour
  • Dear Zoe
  • The Good Wife Strikes Back
Paper Wings: Novel, A The Summer Before the Summer of Love: Stories by Monogamy: Stories A Hole in the Language