Start by marking “Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)

Dragon and Judge (Dragonback #5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When orphan Jack Morgan 14 is dragged off by Golvins on planet Semaline because he smells like a Jupa (Judge-Paladin), golden Draycos, poet-warrior of K'da dragon symbiotes, tags along in the form of a back tattoo. Alison, host to newly intelligent K'da Taneem, is kidnapped by Braxton Universis mega-corporation renegade Neverlin and mercenary Colonel Frost to open a safe.

T
Paperback, Starscape, 318 pages
Published June 3rd 2008 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published June 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon and Judge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon and Judge

Tyler
Please vote on list Best Timothy Zahn novel.

This is my favorite one in the series so far. The plot was great, as was the character development. I liked getting the perspective of Alison and Taneem also. I didn't enjoy their chapters as much as Jack and Draycos's, but they were still very good. The backstory for Jack was interesting, and I also enjoyed the new development in the relationship between Jack and Draycos. I was a little disappointed that there was nothing in the book from the twist at
Rebecca
The plot both thickens and expands as we careen ever closer to the fateful time of the K'da and Shontine refugee fleet arrival! Jack and Draycos get kidnapped by an alien group, and when Alison and Taneem head out to look for them, they're kidnapped by some mercenaries. They wind up on different planets, but each pair has their own part to play in the grand tangle of events as the past and the present collide. Delightful book, setting the stage for the sweeping conclusion of the Dragonback serie ...more
Aelvana
Jack and Draycos are running out of time, and out of leads. But a minor detour to satisfy Jack's curiosity about a planet Uncle Virgil would never let him explore soon takes an unexpected turn. Jack finds himself in the alien village where his parents died, and Alison finds herself abducted. But both of them see an opportunity: Jack to learn the truth about his parents, and Alison to learn the plans of the enemy. The only problem is, can they stay alive long enough to win?

Like the previous books
An Odd1
Jack 14, human host to golden dragon Draycos, K'da poet-warrior, is dragged off by Golvins, aliens on planet Semaline, named by numbers's first two initials (Nionei = 918), who recognize his "Jupa" scent from their last two circuit judge-paladins, Stuart and Ariel Palmer p211. Meanwhile Alison and her newly intelligent grey symbiote Taneem are kidnapped (by Mustache and Sideburns) with the contents of Uncle Virgil's safety deposit box, to crack safes held at the Patri Chookoock Brummgas family c ...more
Jake
Dragon and Judge takes the series for an interesting turn of events, when Jack decides, against the advice of Uncle Virge, to go investigate something on the planet where his parents died. Naturally, the circumstances of his parents’ death are a bit more mysterious than Jack was initially lead to believe, and he quickly finds himself drawn into that mystery. Allison, for her part, is separated from Jack through unforeseen circumstances, bringing her back into contact with some old villains, and ...more
Ichaerus
A very good installment of the Dragonback series. I waited quite a while after book 4 to read this. I wanted to have my hands on a copy of the 6th and final book, and then when I was finally able to, I couldn't find my copy of five. So, I was a little out of the loop when I picked this up, but it all came back quickly. That is a nice thing about Zahn's writing. He gives you just enough recap to bring it all back after a long hiatus, but not so much that it gets repetitive and annoying if you are ...more
Aerine
We finally find out a bit more about Jack's parents. Alison remains a mystery. I really love the names of the race he ends up being judge for. Explains the ship name as well.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying this space opera, though it is likely suited for the teen rather than the full adult sci fi. However, it doesn't talk down to you, or re explain too much.

If you like this series, check out the Quadrail series....
Arwen
Sep 13, 2008 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Lovers
Shelves: four-star, teen-reads
Although I didn't enjoy Dragon and Judge as much as I have other books in the series, it was still an excellent read. Draco and Jack are continuing their search for the coordinates of the arrival of the Sholin and K'da refugees. But while Jack makes a quick stop to clean out Uncle Virgil's old safe, he is kidnapped by a group of Golvin. And they may know something about his parents . . .

This book makes a break from previous entries in the series in that we get to enjoy other points of view. Alis
Jim
This book bumps from three stars to four starts because the ending is so strong. The entire book moves pretty well, and furthers the overall story, but the ending is clearly a cliff-hanger for the next (final) in the series.

As for what it's about, the series is about a young boy that teams up with a "dragon" (symbiotic relation, although since the dragon would die without being able to be absorbed by the boy, symbiotic may not be quite right). Initially I didn't think this would work, but it has
Stephan van Velzen
The Dragonback series continues improving. In this, the fifth book, Zahn expands the narrative by adding two new viewpoints. Thanks to this, the story never slows down despite Jack and Draycos again getting sidetracked a bit. The new viewpoints (Alison and her K'Da Taneem) from familiar characters added a lot of depth, too. Dragon and Judge is definitely another solid entry in the series!
Jesse Whitehead
Zahn never really gets better which would be disappointing if he wasn't so good to begin with. He's never going to change your life with brilliant writing but he will keep you turning pages with brilliant story telling. Jack Morgan and Draycos continue their quest to save Draycos's people from extinction and get trapped on the planet where Jack's parents died – or were murdered. Great adventure. I would recommend this series to anybody especially young adults and children.
Jenny
Jack Morgan, Draycos, Alison, and Taneem continue to struggle to discover when the K'da and Shontine will arrive in our galaxy. Jack and Draycos search out info on Jack's parents' deaths, and become judge for an obscure people. Meanwhile, Alison and Taneem are kidnapped to crack a safe for the criminals hunting the K'da and Shontine. It may hold the answers they need, but in the wrong hands the info could be deadly.
Charles Streams
A very solid book in the fifth of the dragonback series. Different secrets are finally revealed, including more about Jack's history and what happened to his parents. I very much like books that jump between different characters, but I definitely didn't like the chapters that dealt with Alison as much. The ones with Jack and Draycos were much better and what really kept me interested.
Susan
Jack finally finds out about his parents, but he and Draycos are no closer to figuring out the rendevous point with the K'da and Shontine. I like these characters and this world is interesting but this is the fifth book! How long is Zahn going to drag things out having some real plot developments?
April
Wow. Lots of stuff going on in this short book. We learn more of Jack's history, we learn more about Alison (and raise more questions of course) and Taneem is coming into her own. Will they succeed? I guess I'll have to find the next book in the series!
John
Apr 02, 2010 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to John by: Deckthehalls
Very good book in the series--keeps up the pace from the previous book and creates some interesting plot elements that I'm very interested to see resolved in the final book.
Danielle
Both myself and my 10-year-old son enjoy this series. :) They're clean, yet emotionally engaging, rousing adventures. They feel very well-rounded.
Patrick
Once again, the author keeps changing the pace and revealing more interesting backstory, along with action and deception. Great series!
Kennen
Really liked shows more of jack's past
Malynda
Malynda marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Pierre
Pierre marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
  • Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)
  • Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2)
  • Writing Active Setting the Complete How-to Guide with Bonus Section on Hooks
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • Timepiece (Timepiece #1)
  • Book of Dreams
  • Strike (The SYLO Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragon Steel
  • Alien Pursuit (Mars Diaries, #2)
  • Dragon Sword (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #5)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • The Magnificent Wilf
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...

Dragonback (6 books)
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • Dragon and Soldier (Dragonback, #2)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1) Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2) The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3) Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #1) Vision of the Future (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn, #2)