Start by marking “Ring of Fire” as Want to Read:
Ring of Fire

Ring of Fire

An expanded version of Ring of Fire, originally published by Zoland Books, Boston, 2001. This full-length collection includes individual lyric poems as well as a previously published chapbook Sea Lyrics and a new collaborative piece "Dumb Duke Death" with illustrations by Jennifer Jarnot.
Published September 23rd 2003 by Salt Publishing (first published February 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ring of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring of Fire

Apr 05, 2016 Jade rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lovely collection. I first discovered this book a few years ago and did not like it because I felt it was too random. But now I can appreciate the poet's style and it is one of my favorites. Each line contains a surprise, yet each poem as a whole evoke a sense of sadness and deep emotion. They are poems you can feel and they go beyond literal understanding. Not just a bunch of odd phrases thrown together, they work like a mosaic. The seemingly separate parts come together in an exciting, yet com ...more
Sep 13, 2007 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry

This book was recommended to me as a study in repetition, so let’s start there. It works several ways here. First, a great number of the poems (and all of those in Sea Lyrics) are sort of one sentence blasts which are composed of long paratactic strings of phrases: I am_____, I am_____, I am_______. Within these paratactic strings are repetitions of key images or phrases—“I am the waterfront and I cover the waterfront.” And often crucial images or phrases are repeated not only within one poem, b
Oliver Ho
Dec 31, 2013 Oliver Ho rated it really liked it
This is another collection worth re-reading several times over. The poems are hypnotic in their use of repeated images and words, circular and dreamlike in construction. There's a religious, ecstatic feel to many of the poems, celebrating life and creatures of all sorts, while balancing a meditative aspect about them. It's as if the poet is trying to be as clear and detailed as possible about a particular moment, but then something mysterious keeps her thoughts swirling around and back on itself ...more
Jun 11, 2008 MKMKMK rated it it was amazing
I just posted the below note on Black Dog Songs, but it was really about both so I'm pasting it below:

I think this and Ring of Fire made me wake up to contemporary poetry. Prior to these I had no idea there was poetry being written right now that was doing anything worth paying attention to. Glad I was wrong. Sort of embarrassed to say it was so recent that I discovered these nice absurd explorations.
Mar 07, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
If you want to know what repetition can do, read this book. Ring of Fire seems the most rigorous example of Jarnot's style. She's always playful, but there's more than that here. "Sea Lyrics" is a great series/long poem. It will make you run to the nearest tattoo shop and do something the House Unamerican Activities Committee would disapprove of.
Sep 19, 2007 Logan rated it it was amazing
Another book I'll never get over. This book got my engines goin' and my sails pointed in the right direction. Word-play AND emotion in modern/ post-avant/ post-language/ post-post-modern / whatever poetry. It CAN happen. It's called HAVING A SOUL. Jarnot's got one. Do you?
Jul 26, 2007 cristiana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
"the bridge," the opening poem to the collection, is one of my favorite poems. the collection, as a whole, should be read by every poet who cringes at the idea of writing "i" poems, but still wants his/her audience to understand some sort of emotive thread.
C.S. Carrier
Aug 31, 2008 C.S. Carrier rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing and infectious books ever.
Jan 19, 2008 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Simply stunning moving language.
Bette Noir
May 18, 2008 Bette Noir rated it it was ok
Type of pony: one trick.
Feb 09, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
great great stuff
Dec 02, 2007 monica rated it really liked it
Craig Sines
Craig Sines rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Christopher Howard
Christopher Howard marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Erasmus marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Greg rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Zakia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Alexa Nicolas
Alexa Nicolas marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Celia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Hannah rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Matti marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Salima marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Shay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Brendan Lorber
Brendan Lorber rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Settlingstatic rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
  • Collected Works
  • This Can't Be Life
  • In the Pines
  • Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • Stanzas in Meditation