Start by marking “The Crone: Women of Age, Wisdom and Power” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Crone: Women of Ag...

Barbara G. Walker

The Crone: Women of Age, Wisdom and Power

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Published May 22nd 1986 by HarperCollins (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Crone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crone

Claire
Apr 04, 2014 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good points to make, but the pervasive "males are the enemy" attitude was off- putting. Also some of the scholarship was outdated, like the nine million Burning Times figure. However, the psychology of the fear of death and the ways people have evolved to address it was fascinating. I'm glad I read it, but I probably won't read it again.
Karen
I applaud Walker for the extensive reading she's done in anthropology, archetype psychology and history, but I find her arguments too extreme. Even the most basic reciting of facts are put into a narrative that is extremely negative towards all men through all history. While I do agree that societies benefit when the power of women is acknowledged and celebrated, I don't want an inversion of the hierarchy.

Take for example the following paragraph that lists strengths mature women possess but onl
John Rea-Hedrick
Feb 06, 2014 John Rea-Hedrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I picked up this book hoping to read some inspiring observations concerning the forgotten and overlooked power of older women on society.

I was sorely disappointed.

Despite the description, "A probing account of the honored place of older women in ancient matriarchal societies restores to contemporary women an energizing symbol of self-value, power, and respect.", the first two chapters of the book spend more time ax-grinding against the church specifically and against men in general then it does
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Rating: 3.5

This book was really interesting. It expresses and supports the view of graceful and natural aging in women.
Rusty
Walker does a most creditable job of covering woman's role throughout history. First and foremost this is feminist literature. Remembering the author's viewpoint, it is a fascinating depiction of women's place in society. From pagan priestesses to today's independent competitive worker, the reader finds much to support her own beliefs. She emphasizes, too, the different natures of females and males. Many men, may find the book troubling but it behooves us to read writing that supports admiration ...more
Jennie
Mar 27, 2015 Jennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this at a used book store and picked it up. It was a very interesting discussion of the history, psychology and sociology of older women in Western culture. There were times when I felt a little squicky about Walker's very broad generalizations that gave this book a very "us" against "them" tone. It was, however, published 30 years ago- so I might not be reading it in the right context.
Alison
Aug 23, 2009 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT BOOK. A must read for anyone interested in pre-Christian religions, the transition from a matriarchal to a patriarchal cosmogenic worldview, the persecution of half the human race (the "fairer" sex), and the reclamation of the value of woman beyond her "sexual and maternal functions". Walker is a true scholar and feminist. My mind was dazzled by her brilliance like diamonds; at once hard enough to cut the glass ceiling while infinitely illuminating. Dig in and discover a world that wil ...more
Etherealfire
Feb 16, 2014 Etherealfire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye-opener with some uncomfortable unavoidable truths about western religions, patriarchy and imbalance.
Kelsea Dawn Hume
This was enjoyable and informative, though sometimes fell into a kind of gender essentialism which was more damaging than empowering. But, hey, it was written in the 80's?
Elizabeth
c1985

from Wikipedia:
Barbara G. Walker (born July 2, 1930, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a U.S. author and feminist. She writes about religion, cultural anthropology, spirituality, and mythology from the viewpoint of Pre-Indo-European neolithic matriarchies. She often uses the imagery of the Mother Goddess to discuss these Neolithic Matriarchies. Her most important book is The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets (1983).
Barbara
Jan 19, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ebook
Love books that examine myth and the human experience.
Kim Adamache
Apr 22, 2013 Kim Adamache rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read that will shatter what you know about religious beliefs. Many clues to the feminist movement that erupted in the 1970's and a reminder of the significance of a woman's "mature" years.
Paula
Nov 14, 2013 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psych, women, history, religion
Now more of interest for its relevance to recent history than ancient history, this book is a classic, examining female archetypes with a keen and bitter wit.
Susan
Jan 08, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it was about 30 years old and loved it. I'm re-reading it to see if it stood the test of time. Will elaborate when I'm finished.
C.J. Prince
Jan 31, 2009 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is simply a must read for women growing into wisdom. Highly researched and full of opportunities for contemplation.
Willa Grant
Nov 10, 2008 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book has a lot to say about the place old women have in society.
Pauline Curwen
Aug 25, 2012 Pauline Curwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books and one I will keep. Im happy to be a Crone.
Lynda
Jun 26, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I joyfully call myself "a crone".
Robbin
Oct 04, 2010 Robbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-recently
Loved this book. Loved loved loved.
Emma W.
Feb 22, 2013 Emma W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it. It's a game changer.
Barbara
Mar 09, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite.
Jo Settle
Jo Settle marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Helga Gonzalez
Helga Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Kaylah
Kaylah is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Sherry McCoy
Sherry McCoy marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Neli
Neli added it
Jan 17, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Liesl
Liesl is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Reader1211
Reader1211 rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
NoOne
NoOne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • A Woman's Journey to God
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween: Celebrating the Dark Half of the Year
  • Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority, and Mystery
  • The Isles of the Many Gods: An A-Z of the Pagan Gods & Goddesses Worshipped in Ancient Britain During the First Millenium Ce Through to the Middle Ages
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • The Goddess Path: Myths, Invocations, and Rituals
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • Living Druidry
  • Celtic Traditions: Druids, Faeries, and Wiccan Rituals
Barbara Walker studied journalism at the University of Pennsylvania and then took a reporting job at the Washington Star in DC. During her work as a reporter, she became increasingly interested in feminism and women's issues.

Her writing career has been split between knitting instruction books, produced in the late 1960s through the mid-80s; and women's studies and mythology books, produced from t
More about Barbara G. Walker...