Start by marking “He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson” as Want to Read:
He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson

He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  40 reviews
An anthology of original stories paying tribute to acclaimed short stories and novels of Richard Matheson. Includes the first collaboration between father/son Stephen King and Joe Hill. Also includes work by Whitley Strieber, F. Paul Wilson, Joe Lansdale, John Shirley as well as a collaboration between Matheson and the late Charles Beaumont ("Conjure Wife").
Published February 1st 2009 by Gauntlet Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about He Is Legend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Is Legend

Trudi
First off I’m not a huge fan of the short story. You won’t usually catch me gobbling down anthologies or collections by the dozen. Stephen King, Shirley Jackson and Flannery O’Connor – these are the only authors I will go out of my way to read their short stuff. So when I heard that Joe Hill and Stephen King were collaborating on an original story for this collection I was sold. I do love Richard Matheson and one good thing about this anthology is that I’m now determined to read more of him, esp ...more
James

I picked up "He is Legend" because I've always been a great admirer of Richard Matheson mainly through his film and television scripts and adaptations, some of the more famous being "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (Twilight Zone) and "The Incredible Shrinking Man". As well, the most interesting being his story "I Am Legend" from which the Vincent Price film "Last Man on Earth" was filmed from (and of course more recently, "I Am Legend" the film with star Will Smith).

Anyway, this book is a different t
As a fan of Matheson's work, I was very excited when I found this collection in the book section of dollar tree. Well worth the dollar I paid to add it to my collection. Highly recommended. Highlight, the prequel to Hell House. I would love to see a new adaptation that incorporated some of the ideas of the prequel with the original book, perhaps a mini series???
Kilgallen
Overall this was a good solid collection of stories.As always when there are various authors involved some stories were better then others and some were easier to read then others. I will say that there were no stories included that I did not enjoy. This collection will be enjoyed, obviously, by fans of Richard Matheson. I think that it will also be enjoyed by horror and short story fans.
Julian David Stone
Great book. And great idea for a book. Really fun to read a lot of different writer's takes on the work of the great Richard Matheson.
Daniel
Great collection of stories honoring the feel of Matheson. Each voice still unique. And each story great.
Kevin
I am a huge Richard Matheson fan, and this tribute short story compilation did not disappoint. The stories are set before or after, and with a different take on, his original short stories. The Stephen King and Joe Hill, his son, story was fantastic, as was the Hell House prequel, and the I am Legend prequel. Even if you have not read any of his stuff previous enough context is provided to make each story interesting on its own. Still there are a few duds but the vast majority of the stories are ...more
Salvatore Pulvirenti
Tanto fumo ma poco arrosto

E' vero, ci sono cascato in pieno. E' difficile parafrasare un grande cercando di costruire dei racconti a partire dai suoi. Tanti ci provano, alcuni imitano, pochi convincono, pochissimi riescono. Qui però c'erano grossi nomi, e l'attesa (la mia, almeno) era un po' più alta del solito. Invece sono rimasto molto deluso. Se le storie fossero state farina del sacco del singolo autore, senza riferimenti espliciti all'idea di base, sarebbero stati semplici racconti minori,
Michael
I enjoyed quite a few of the stories just as stories (King/Hill, Wilson, and Lansdale's especially), but as a "Celebration" of Matheson, it bothered me a little. These prequels, sequels, and inspired bys all felt like they took a little something away, or lessened the impact of the original works.
Kealan Burke
An uneven anthology that is nevertheless worth picking up based on the strength of a few gems, most notably the King/Hill collaboration "Throttle", F. Paul Wilson's "Recalled", "Comeback" by Ed Gorman, and "Return to Hell House" by Nancy Collins.
Kristen Taylor
This anthology was just meh to me. I thought maybe this collection will make me want to read from the authors I've never heard of. Nope. The stories for me were just okay with the exception of "Return to Hell House". That story was very good and the only story that I enjoyed. Even the story Stephen King did with his son was just blah to me. This anthology did make me want to read more from Matheson which was my whole reason for picking up this book. If you like horror short stories and want to e ...more
Sherry
This is by far one of the best short story collections I have ever read. It helps that all of the writers are stars and they are saluting one of the all time great writers, Richard Matheson. I especially liked the collaboration between Stephen King and Joe Hill based on Matheson's story "Duel". Not only was it an excellent story, it took it to a new level and depth that I appreciated.

I also especially liked Nancy Collins story which was a prequel to "Hell House". One of my favorite Matheson sto
Bondama
I've been reading these two collections, "Songs to a Dying Earth" for Jack Vance, and "He is Legend" for Richard Matheson, so I could compare and contrast the two collections. Trouble is, they are vastly unequal.

"Dying Earth" includes a story by Neil Gaiman, and "He is Legend," a collaboration between Stephen King and his son, Joe Hill. Up front, I have to confess that although I've read some Jack Vance, I'm not nearly as familiar with his "Dying Earth" series as I am with the author of "I Am Le
David Agranoff
Richard Matheson is one of the greatest living writers in any genre but in the fields of Science Fiction and Horror he is a giant. To the mainstream you can always say he is the guy who wrote and name any of several classics. People know and love his work but often don’t know his name. The man behind several of the best Twilight zones, I am Legend, Somewhere in Time and Duel to name a few.

He is Legend is a long overdue tribute to Matheson. This anthology has sequels and companion pieces to Mathe
Peter
A collection of short stories honoring Richard Matheson, legend of horror, by some other famous and not-so-famous authors. Each story is either a sequel, prequel, alternate point of view, or otherwise inspired by something in Matheson's work.

I like Matheson's work, and if this book taught me one thing it's that I haven't read much of it, as I didn't remember many of the stories (but many of his stories that I do remember liking aren't dealt with). And that's a problem when many stories don't rea
Michelle Plass
I love Richard Matheson and I looooved this book!

My favorites:

Recalled...This one was modeled after Matheson's original tale 'The Distributor'. For some reason I wasn't the biggest fan of that story but I loved this story! Great twists and a very satisfying ending.

I am Legend, too....I am Legend is perhaps my favorite Matheson tale and I loved how this story told a bit of the back story and explained why Ben had such an obsession with Bob Neville.

Two Shots from Flys Photo Gallery....I got a bit
Kei
Jul 13, 2014 Kei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
Weird.
This, unlike the last couple of anthologies I have read, ranged the spectrum from meh to awesome.
Then again, there are certain types of horror I never developed a taste for.
I also found myself being torn between the urge to go out and read a bunch more Matheson, since he spawned this, and to never read anything else by him.... going back to the meh to awesome.
There were a couple of really good stories in here, however. I wouldn't recommend buying the book, but poke a library, and see which
Paweł Sobiegraj
Ciekawy zbiór opowiadań. Podobało mi się i na pewno sięgnę po twórczość Richarda Mathesona, bądź autorów niektórych opowiadań ulokowanych w tej antologii.
Peter Damien
The problem with this book of variations/sequels/prequels and so forth based on the stories and novels of Richard Matheson is...too often, when I was reading a story and going "this is REALLY clever," the bit I was finding clever was the bit from Matheson's original work, and never from this new attempt.

To put it simply, even when they were enjoyable, none of these stories did anything new, and not always anything interesting. And when they were clever, it was always because of the element from
Peggy
'm a Matheson fan, so I came to this anthology with high hopes. I wasn't disappointed. The editor assumes that anyone interested in this anthology is well aware of who Matheson is and is already familiar with his stories. In most cases, the short description of the Matheson story that inspired the new story is enough to jog the reader's memory. Given that “Prey” is my favorite Matheson story, and that Joe R. Lansdale is one of my favorite authors, it's no surprise that “Quarry” tops my list.
Shannon
NOTE: My review is ONLY for "Throttle," the short story from Joe Hill and Stephen King, as I didn't have time to get through the entire anthology. Considering how terrifying Hill and King can be on their own, I thought this story was a bit flat. At the end I thought, "That's it?" This is not the mental statement I generally finish their stories with - I'm a bit disappointed. The story was good, just not as blood-pressure-gushing as I expected.
David
A great collection of short stories based in the worlds of Richard Matheson. If you've enjoyed his stories you'll probably enjoy these tributes. I particularly enjoyed Stephen King and Joe Hills' take on Duel called 'Throttle'. My other favorites were 'Return to Hell House', 'I Am Legend, Too', and the sequel to Prey 'Quarry' (as seen in the 1975 tv movie Trilogy of Terror with the killer Zuni doll)
Dorothy
This an anthology of stories honoring the talent of Richard Matheson. Authors included are STephen King and his son, Joe Hill, Joe R. Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson, and others. Enjoyed most of the stories, except for the last one by Whitley Strieber. That one just didn't grab me, so I ended up skimming it.
Vincent Darlage
This was a pretty credible collection of stories based on or inspired by the classic horror/sci-fi stories by Richard Matheson. I recommend it to fans of Matheson. It even includes a story by Matheson's son, and a collaboration between Stephen King and Joe Hill (king's son). Well done collection.
Brice
Some of the best authors writing today contribute to this anthology that pays tribute to Richard Matheson. Nearly every story is a hit with only one true stumble - Whitley Streiber is one writer I will never be able to read. Easily one of my favorite anthologies.
Scott Williams
I found this a very satisfying tribute to Matheson and a very entertaining read. My favorites were Nancy Collins' "Return to Hell House" and Mick Garris' "I Am Legend, Too." for me, the weakest link was Stephen King's "Throttle."
Tim Dunn
Not the great collection of stories I was hoping for but a fairly good read nonetheless. Certainly reminiscient of much of Matheson's work, though written by other authors. A good read if you like short stories.
Christine
Awesome so far, but I've only read the first story, which is a short by Stephen King and Joe Hill. That one alone is enough to pick up the book. :) I do heart Matheson though, so I was biased going in.
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
  • Collected Stories, Vol. 3
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Turn Down the Lights
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • Gunpowder (Gunpowder, #1)
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • Stalkers
  • Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
Midnight on Mourn Street A Matrix of Angels Lullaby for the Rain Girl The Oblivion Room: Stories of Violation When They Came Back