Start by marking “Healing Words” as Want to Read:
Healing Words

Healing Words

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Proving prayer to be as valid and vital a healing tool as drugs or surgery, the bestselling author "of Meaning &; Medicine and Recovering the Soul" offers a bold integration of science and spirituality.
Published October 31st 1997 by HarperOne (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Words

Vivian Herrero
Jan 31, 2016 Vivian Herrero rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, especially the author's holistic and universal attitude throughout the book of having an open heart and an open mind when evaluating this mysterious subject of prayer. I found myself highlighting passage after passage and coming to the realization that as the author says "if prayer is not asking, what is it for?... It isn't 'for' anything... it mainly reminds me I am not alone."
Joshua
Aug 26, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Great book, filled with miraculous stories of healing in cultures that differ from ours, I believe it is definite proof, and if not, it's superb evidence, that belief has a lot to do with everything, especially healing your own body. Wonderful documentation, references and presentation.
Virginia Ann
Sep 29, 2007 Virginia Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: evreyone
The power of prayer and a true Physician can do miracles.
Iona  Stewart
Aug 26, 2015 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing
Larry Dossey is one of the better authors out there. He is an M.D., and in this book discusses the healing effects of prayer. Not many medical doctors are aware of the power of prayer, far less use it to heal their patients.

Experiments have shown that prayer in fact positively affects high blood pressure, wounds, heart attacks, headaches, and anxiety. It was also shown that the “Thy will be done” approach was “quantitatively more powerful than when specific results were held in the mind”. A simp
R.E.
Apr 27, 2008 R.E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fascinating book, written by Larry Dossey, MD, examines the existing research on the effect of healing prayer on health. The conclusion -- prayer heals.

Dr. Dossey is the former Chief of Staff of Humana Medical City in Dallas TX and spent years firmly believing in strict science and traditional Western medicine as the tools for healing. While coming to grips with his own spiritual life, Dossey discovered that prayer does indeed compliment tradition medicine and sometimes heals.

Hundreds of s
Peggy Hamann
Mar 07, 2014 Peggy Hamann rated it really liked it
An interesting read that delves into the science of medicine and the power of prayer and How both can coexist.
Jamie Holloway
Dec 06, 2015 Jamie Holloway rated it it was amazing
A book about prayer. Interesting, thought provoking.
Michael
Jaw-dropping and extremely important. This is NOT a self-help book, it's a wise, rigorous, empirical look at prayer and healing. It profoundly altered my understanding of spirituality, the mind, and the laws of nature. Very highly recommended!
Rivka Levy
contains good information, but wasn't so impressed with the author's own (sceptical...) conclusions about what the scientific information about prayer working is actually telling us, healthwise and spiritually.
K M
Mar 16, 2013 K M rated it liked it
Interesting. Looks at possible links between health and prayer (sometimes not taking all variables into consideration, bit still interesting.)
Carroll Straus
Dec 26, 2008 Carroll Straus rated it it was amazing
That the mind is non local and much of what we believe about healing is baloney. This book changed my life. And few have!
Tracy
Dec 20, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it
A physician notes the power of prayer in healing ourselves and others.
David Gersten
Sep 16, 2012 David Gersten rated it it was amazing
Healing Words is a great contribution to complementary and alternative medicine
Lindy
Aug 19, 2011 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Dossey is a leader in the area of healing and spiritual thought.
Cindy
Jul 25, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me understand the truth of prayer's power.
Elizabeth
paperback different cover
Peggy
Nov 04, 2013 Peggy rated it it was ok
so so book
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Reading Faerie
Reading Faerie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tamer Ghoneim
Tamer Ghoneim marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
John Borthwick
John Borthwick marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Elizabeth Higgins
Elizabeth Higgins marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jean E.
Jean E. rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
DENISSE MONTES
DENISSE MONTES marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Diana
Diana added it
May 29, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Liliana
Liliana is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
  • From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Revolutionary Approach to Growing Older
  • The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention
  • The Five Stages of the Soul: Charting the Spiritual Passages That Shape Our Lives
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • Wisdom of the Ages: 60 Days to Enlightenment
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being
  • Why Good People Do Bad Things: Understanding Our Darker Selves
  • Timeless Healing
  • Food As Medicine: How to Use Diet, Vitamins, Juices, and Herbs for a Healthier, Happier, and Longer Life
  • Mind Into Matter: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit
  • The Practice of Chinese Medicine: The Treatment of Diseases with Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs
  • Bringing Out the Best in People
  • The Life Model: Living From The Heart Jesus Gave You, The Essentials Of Christian Living
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body
  • Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture