Start by marking “Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health” as Want to Read:
Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health

Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health

B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health covers the complete teachings of BKS Iyengar for mind, body, and health, and is suitable for every level of yoga ability, age, and physical condition.

Fully illustrated throughout with unique 360-degree views of classic Iyengar asanas, B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health includes a 20-week course introducing begi
Published 2001 by Dorling Kindersley Limited

To ask other readers questions about Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga

Judy Desetti
Great book for showing you exactly how to get into the pose. Each pose is shown in progressive shots so you can really see how to make the pose work for you. He has a 20 week progressive sequences of poses which is great for beginners. A perfect book for anyone wanting to learn yoga poses. I especially liked the one sheet translation of sans skirt and English names for the poses.

Biographical information about Iyengar as well as basic information on tenets of Yoga is also in this book.

I want to
Brantlea
Oct 07, 2011 Brantlea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's an introduction to Iyengar Yoga and a reference book, so while I've had it for two years, I've only recently attempted reading it, rather than looking up poses. I would reccommend it (and Iyengar Yoga) to anyone, but particularly if you have physical ailments, or are overweight, it's a very accesable style of yoga- not like a gym yoga workout. It's helpful to read the introduction and go to an Iyengar Yoga class, to make sure you're doing poses correctly.
Sara Murphy
Jan 22, 2013 Sara Murphy rated it it was amazing
This was very helpful. It detailed technique and explained the multiple variations of the poses and What Not To Do. The back of the book was especially helpful in that it pin pointed specific ailments (i.e. Migraine, Heart Attack, back pain, anorexia, you name it) and their specific treatment. I recommend this wholeheartedly to anyone wishing to educate themselves on holistic cures using yoga.
Heather
Dec 19, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-misc
This hefty book is a more accessible (though much larger! :)) version of Iyengar's Light On Yoga. Best are the 360 degree illustrations of each asana (pose). Packed with great information on the core hatha yoga asanas, plus yoga with props, yoga for ailments and conditions, and what sequence to follow when building your own routines.
Quite possibly the best hatha yoga book out there.
Marie
Jan 29, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gotta say... this is the "Holy Grail" for anyone interested in a home practice grounded in the Iyengar method.

What this book has to offer that many others don't is many many many pictorial sequences. Definitely a plus if you're used to flipping all around other yoga books to create a sequence. This one has a ton!
Mandy Sue
Mar 26, 2010 Mandy Sue rated it it was amazing
My go-to book for natural healing from ailments. Packed with picture guides to break down poses, yoga with props and routines based on ailments. A must have go-to guide for any practicing yogi.
Margaret
Sep 11, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
This is an on-going reference book. You really don't finish it. You just keep going back to it.
Radhika
Jun 03, 2008 Radhika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yogis and those interested in health
The first four chapters of this book include a mini-biography of BKS Iyengar, his school in Pune, and yogic philosophy. The Yoga poses are illustrated with so many high quality pictures that try to present a 360 degree view of a practitioner holding a pose. After an exposition on how to correctly do an asana and its modifications, follows information on which asanas are good for which health conditions. This is invaluable information. This book is heavy and thick and chock-full of information ...more
Alaina
Aug 26, 2015 Alaina rated it it was amazing
This is a must have book for any yoga student. It's thick and encyclopedia-like, you are not throwing this one in your beach bag. However, the explanations and alignment for essential asanas are fantastically detailed and the photographs of each asana are from multiple angles (not just the side view like other yoga books). I also appreciated that the bodies were of an athletic fit type rather than a thin model. The substance and the philosophy sections of the book are a helpful addition and I ...more
Charlotte Burn
Dec 20, 2015 Charlotte Burn rated it it was amazing
Excellent - BKS Iyengar designed yoga poses to help many different ailments. Diagrams in this big book are very clear. There is detailed, helpful description of how to get the pose right, including step-by-step and 360' diagrams. There is key information with each pose, such as who it will benefit and who should avoid it. Iyengar yoga teachers are highly trained and it is worth discussing your medical needs with them so that they can adjust classes for you. The book will work well alongside any ...more
Kim
Jan 14, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
This is a huge coffee table book, but I'm glad I read it. I've been doing Iyengar yoga for about 2 years now and enjoy it more than any other style of yoga. This book explains the philosophy of Iyengar, as well as each individual pose and what ailment it's good or bad for. It also teaches you how to do a home practice, which I need to start doing. Long book, fascinating read.
Justin
Apr 17, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it
Better than most yoga books in that it gives detailed information about how to place your body. Some of this information is hard for a novice to understand without referencing appendices. The book also does not discuss how the poses work (why we move certain ways) or how to make your own sequences. Still looking for a better reference book
Fostergrants
Aug 06, 2009 Fostergrants rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i grabbed this off the 'new year's resolution' shelf at the front of the bookstore the other day. it seemed the one and only book that didn't scream "please feel bad about yourself and buy this diet book!". the photos look amazing and although i know i can't get into all of those positions right now i'm excited to try!
AJ Dreadfulwater
Jul 24, 2016 AJ Dreadfulwater rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-inspired
A wonderful guide for everyday yoga practice. A mix of ancient yogic philosophy, guidance through 20 classic foundational poses chosen by Iyengar, theory and practice of guided yoga uses tools, blocks, etc cumulating in a simple to follow 20 week program for beginners or anyone! Iyengar speaks and teaches as if he were born to be the one to unveil the life of a yogi directly to you. Brilliant.
Priya
May 04, 2009 Priya rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Superb so far. It's nice to learn the history of the man who brought yoga to the western world. His journey causes me to feel such humility, and I only hope that I will live a life that is half as magnificent and simple as Iyengar has.
And, the yoga exercises, as always, are wonderfully rejuvenating. Iyengar's a yoga genius and my hero. =)
yamiyoghurt
Jan 24, 2015 yamiyoghurt rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
A very beautiful hardcover book with large photos of poses. The selection of poses are limited, although their variations are not. There is a huge chunk at the back that details the use of props to help get the therapeutic effects of certain yoga poses. This book seems to be written more for the beginners though.
Feb 10, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i'm not a fan of using props, but i'm definitely using the book as a resource to deepen my asana practice. to set myself up for future yoga options :)

the 360 breakdown of the poses was really helpful!!! loved it!!!
Damla
Jul 08, 2008 Damla rated it really liked it
This is a must have book for those practicing yoga. It is the ultimate reference guide on alignment, poses and iyengar way of yoga. I keep going back to it to check the proper form of a pose. It is a great reference tool.
Steph
Feb 18, 2008 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
breaks down the staple poses so you know how each of your body parts should be participating. it also offers modifications of those staple poses to make them accessible for beginners. iyengar yoga at its best.
Hmr
Oct 23, 2008 Hmr rated it it was amazing
Excellent translation of Mr Iyengar's most recent teachings, more accessible to westerners than Light on Yoga perhaps
Elizabeth Simons
Sep 10, 2010 Elizabeth Simons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Very specific illustrations of poses. Great reference. Will review this in 6 mo to year. appendix has series of poses for beginners, a 10 week plan.
Jessie
Feb 29, 2016 Jessie rated it liked it
Excellent guide to healing yoga. The book does a great job at illustrating poses and giving you guidelines for yoga sessions for all kinds of ailments.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call#: 613.7 IYENGAR

Madeleine - 5 stars
Very clear photos. And recommended by local yogi Sundari!
Katy Kavanagh
Jan 28, 2009 Katy Kavanagh rated it it was amazing
I got this as a gift and love that it has the 360 degree view of how you are supposed to do the yoga positon. I use it more as a reference.
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
A great book for reference and beginner yogis. Has fantastic pictures that show every angle of a pose and includes modifications. Also has a great index for alleviating ailments.
Rukshana
Dec 03, 2007 Rukshana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iyengar-ites, yoga practitioners
A definite reference book. I consult this book frequently for yoga routines to cure what plagues me. Lots of colored pictures and detailed explanations of poses.
Isabella Douglas
Excellent reference for all types of physical conditions. Love to use it when someone says, "Hey, what can I do for..." Never to be thrown out and most useful as a block for some poses.
Dennis Weeks
Aug 18, 2009 Dennis Weeks rated it liked it
For me there is a bit too much hero worship of the originator of a style of learning yoga. But it is neat to see an 80 year old guy with his flexibility.
Christy
Mar 17, 2010 Christy rated it it was amazing
this book is awesome - tells you clearly the benefits and cautions of each pose...will be a great reference book...now if I can just talk my boyfriend into trying some of the poses...
Esti
Feb 03, 2008 Esti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I was practising Iyengar yoga with my teacher Olop for 4 years in Bali .. this book is like my bible now;o)
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga: A Gem for Women
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (Kannada: ಬೆಳ್ಳೂರ್ ಕೃಷ್ಣಮಾಚಾರ್ ಸುಂದರರಾಜ ಐಯಂಗಾರ್), (also known as Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar) (Born December 14, 1918 in Bellur, Kolar District, Karnataka, India) is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practicing and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has written many books on yogic ...more
More about B.K.S. Iyengar...