Start by marking “Food: The Key Concepts” as Want to Read:
Food: The Key Concepts

Food: The Key Concepts

This book offers an exciting, coherent and interdisciplinary introduction to the study of food studies for the beginning reader. Food choices, the author argues, are the result of a complex negotiation among three competing considerations: the consumers' identity; matters of convenience, including price; and an awareness of the consequences of what is consumed. The book co ...more
Published October 15th 2008 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published July 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food

Mike Hayden
Mar 19, 2014 Mike Hayden rated it it was amazing
As a novice foody, this felt like a really good introduction to the study of food. Covering the history of food studies, food and identity (especially through memory and ethnicity), the delocalization or reimagining of food, food and globalization, feminism and food, and the politics of food consumption, this book is well researched and has a nice sized bibliography for those who are looking for certain ins on certain subjects. Its major flaw is its focus on American and Europe diets and its ove ...more
Eric
Mar 03, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I didn't have high expectations for this book, thought it would be kind of text bookish, but I was pleasantly surprised. Belasco does a very nice job of surveying the scholarship on food studies in a concise and accessible way. I thought the book was especially strong in its treatment of contemporary food culture and the implications of our food choices. I'm having the students in my food history course this semester use it for their research papers on the impact of their own food choices.
Hollie
Sep 23, 2015 Hollie rated it liked it
More background reading for my dissertation, although this one went into a little more detail then Coveney's which I read earlier this month. I especially enjoyed the focus on his students and their answers, as well as the inclusion of Proust. There were also some interesting studies he cited, easily understandable/relatable such as the study of oreos. However at times felt too self-referential to me, and some chapters felt a little too dry so a very solid three star read.
Stephanie
Had to get this b/c Warren is great and I've taught a fair amount of food studies. This would make an excellent introductory text for undergrads. Nothing really new for me, esp as I've read his other stuff and this naturally borrows much from that, but it's well put together and his writing is always clear and lively.
Kevin Sedota
Jun 12, 2011 Kevin Sedota rated it liked it
While I found the topics in this book somewhat of a rehash of topics in many other books I found the presentation interesting. The idea of adding a mini study guide interesting. It could challenge the average to go a bit farther and ask themselves some very pertinent questions.
Emily
Oct 11, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
A great high level introduction to the field and breadth of food studies, but with heavier focus on food systems and the future of food.
Lori
Dec 15, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is another book required for my foodie lit class. Belasco provides an academic part of food. I cited his textbook for every paper I wrote. Great book. I want to read more of Belasco's work.
Missi Nussbaum
Missi Nussbaum rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Nicole McCann
Nicole McCann rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Larissa Gudino
Larissa Gudino rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Cort
Cort rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Jonas
Jonas rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
tawnya rockney
tawnya rockney rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Odette Cortés
Odette Cortés rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Aaron Hayworth
Aaron Hayworth rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Dalena
Dalena rated it it was ok
May 09, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Jarrod Olson
Jarrod Olson rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
Jessica Flores
Jessica Flores rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
phi
phi rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Jack
Jack rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Becca Baker
Becca Baker rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Andee Nero
Andee Nero rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015