Start by marking “The Pagan Anthology of Short Fiction: 13 Prize Winning Tales” as Want to Read:
The Pagan Anthology of Short Fiction: 13 Prize Winning Tales

The Pagan Anthology of Short Fiction: 13 Prize Winning Tales

From historic fiction to scintillating erotica, from the dusty Old West to the pristine countryside of Iceland, from witches and shamans to selkies and skunks, the medley of stories in this collection of pagan fiction are as eclectic and wonderfully multifaceted as Paganism itself.

The first fiction anthology dedicated exclusively to pagan voices and themes, this thirteen-t
Published October 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Pagan Anthology of Short Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pagan Anthology of Short Fiction

Eli
Apr 01, 2015 Eli rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eli by: Pagans
A good grouping of stories, for the most part. Not sure I agreed with the underlying philosophy of the judging panel; all the stories showed scenarios where magic and deity were undeniably "real" (as in physically manifested); none were about ordinary Pagans doing ordinary things and just happening to be Pagan, none were about people doubting and reexamining or defending their faith. It was somewhere between Harry Potter and what I would've liked, but almost all of the stories were incredibly we ...more
Ancestral Gael
Aug 10, 2011 Ancestral Gael rated it it was ok
What's it about? It's a selection of short stories from pagan authors as collected by a panel of judges for PanGaia magazine.

What did I like about it? There was variety so if you didn't like the style of one author, at least you could look forward to the next, in addition to which no one piece was overly long or short.

My favourite stories were A Valkyrie Among Jews by April, which incidentally was the winning story according to the Introduction to the book, and Black Doe by Vylar Kaftan.

A Valky
David
Dec 08, 2011 David rated it liked it
Some excellent stories in here, and some, well not so excellent - but that's the risk you take with an anthology. A pleasant surprise was the broad variety of different spiritualities reflected in this collection, it was NOT a warmed over collection of Charmed or The Craft rip-offs.
A not-so pleasant, but not exactly a surprise either was that a few of the authors reliance on graphic sexuality, so that I'm not going to be able to recommend this to anyone under 18.
Lia
Mar 01, 2015 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2011, g-r
It had some weak stories and some strong stories. More strong ones toward the end. A couple made me cry. Overall I think it was better than I even expected. I'm really glad I bought it. I will want to find other works by the authors.
Michaela
Jun 29, 2014 Michaela rated it really liked it
There were a few stories too "on the nose" but many others were enjoyable, if for no other reason than to shift our collective perspective and one or two were real gems.
Ashleen O'Gaea
Oct 28, 2008 Ashleen O'Gaea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ashleen by: an author of one of the stories :-)
Actually, I'll be reviewing this book for TAWN's newsletter, 'Tapestry,' and for 'PanGaia,' so look for my comments in either or both of those 'zines. :-)
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Krys Mcintyre
Krys Mcintyre marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Deena Wilde
Deena Wilde marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Nish Beasinger
Nish Beasinger rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Simone James
Simone James marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jana Leah
Jana Leah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Gus Hinrich
Gus Hinrich marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Elana Faryll
Elana Faryll marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Mord
Mord rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Madeline Whitmarsh
Madeline Whitmarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Daydemi
Daydemi marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Luna NightFox
Luna NightFox marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Joel O'Brien
Joel O'Brien marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Llewellyn George started his publishing company in Portland, Oregon in 1901, concentrating Astrological books and annuals. In 1961, Carl L. Weschcke of St. Paul, Minnesota purchased the company and relocated it to the Midwest.

Llewellyn is the world’s oldest and largest independent publisher of books for body, mind, and spirit.
More about Llewellyn Publications...