Start by marking “Getting to Third Date” as Want to Read:
Getting to Third Date

Getting to Third Date

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,751 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

Could a forgotten cutie be Katelyn's newest catch?

Katelyn Spears is a firm believer in the two-date rule. First dates are so awkward; every guy deserves a second chance. But a third? Not unless he's got serious Romeo potential.

Enter Tyler. Tyler thinks Katelyn's rule is too harsh. He dares her to go back through her Little Pink Book and grant a third date to all the

Published March 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to Third Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to Third Date

Valerie
Nov 26, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it
Katelyn writes the relationship advise column for her college paper. Her advise is somewhat harsh and overly practical. She has a history of having crushes on guys who see her as a best friend. She hides her feeling from them pretty well and so she is very pessimistic about relationships working. She has a dating philosophy which allows for two dates to test things and no third dates for those deemed unworthy. She has a little pink book where she has a code to rate her dates. All of this doesn't ...more
Alison
Jan 16, 2017 Alison rated it it was ok
Not sure why anyone would care so much about some random person's love life. Both hero and heroine were equally annoying (Katelyn's judgmental ways and how easily she caved to Tyler, who was a complete unethical douchebag, did not endear her) and the love rivals were clumsily paired off. Ugh.
Adrienne
Jun 26, 2011 Adrienne rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
College freshman Katelyn Spears may have bitten off more than she can chew. Tyler, the school newspaper editor, convinced her to accept a position writing the dating advice column under the pseudonym Mother Hubbard. Katelyn's old-fashioned dating advice causes uproar across the campus, and Tyler challenges Katelyn to break her own dating rules--which are that (almost) every guy deserves a second date, but only someone with serious potential gets a third date. So Katelyn has to give guys she's wr ...more
Englishrose
Apr 07, 2011 Englishrose rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was hilarious and a great read. The first-person perspective is well written with a great grasp of an eighteen-year-old's mind. Katelyn is a very logical character with good morals and a healthy fear of a broken heart - which she sometimes confuses. Her frankness and sarcasm had me laughing the whole time. Good side characters who really made you feel like you were back in the dorms at college again. Sweet story too. Tyler is a fun character and I enjoyed watching him through ...more
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
I read the whole book just to see if Tyler and Katelyn would get together. I was really not into the book from the very beginning. There was no real drama going on, only this dating trial. There was no epic plot that made me get interested in this book. I only got slightly interested when Stephen came into the picture, and it wasn't by a lot. All I can say about this book is that I feel I wasted my time reading this one and should have picked another book to read. For all the people that love dr ...more
Natalie
May 30, 2015 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
Katelyn has a secret everyone on campus is dying to find out. She is the mysterious Mother Hubbard - the advice columnist for the school paper. Her advice is no-nonsense, but angers many students for being too unforgiving.

So now Katelyn, aka Mother Hubbard, must break her own two-date rule, and give the men in her life another chance. Is she wrong? Can she find Mr. Right in a sea of Mr. Wrongs?

A cute romance about not giving up on people too soon. Characters are touching and amusing.
Katie W
Jul 15, 2011 Katie W rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance
A teen chick-lit story about a freshman in college who gets roped into writing for her college's newspaper--as the romance advice guru. She comes across as harsh because she, personally, hasn't ever made it to three dates with a guy. Her editor (and best friend) shakes things up by challenging her to go for the third date with three different guys, to give them another chance. Surprises are waiting around every corner...

Content: a handful of swearing, some talk of drinking and making out, but n
TheSaint
Oct 17, 2008 TheSaint rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A great escapist read, Getting to Third Date, by Kelly McClymer, will have you nodding your head in agreement, and/or shaking your head in confusion on every page. Katelyn is a freshman in college with a highly visible extracurricular activity: dispensing advise to the lovelorn -- as "Mother Hubbard" – for the college newspaper. Most of the campus thinks she's an old biddy, but the editor (Katelyn's crush) loves the controversy. Mother Hubbard is challenged by the student body -- and her crush - ...more
adA
Jun 12, 2008 adA rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory
To me this book is kind of weird because the story is very unrealistic. So the main character is a girl name Katelyn and she always had a cruch on tis boy name Tyler but he is a very odd person because he always believe in giving boys another chance had teh second date gone wrong. However, Katelyn doesn't believe so so they had like a bet and she figured out that a third date is necessary before really puching a boy down.Basically what happens is that boteh protagonist's girlfriend and boyfriend ...more
Tiffany
Sep 03, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was ok
Liz Roosa
Apr 18, 2014 Liz Roosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ro-coms
I really do love this book. I definitely feel like I can relate to Katelyn. I often find myself wishing that things in the world of dating were clearer than they are. I also love the role that journalism plays, being interested in journalism myself. This is a great romantic comedy to curl up with and I highly recommend it, regardless of whether or not you're having trouble getting to the third date.
Jacqui
Oct 17, 2012 Jacqui rated it liked it
A cute little novel looking at college romance and one girl's decision to not get too deep. I appreciate the concept, but it felt like the book actually advocated putting of your goals and settling... I mean the end was nicely wrapped up with the girl getting the boy... but what is so wrong with not dating seriously and focusing on your studies/career instead? I really had trouble with the mixed message that I ended up with.
Kate
May 17, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies are always a fun read. These books are not necessarily the best written novels but the stories are always fun and you know you will get a happy ending. I think some adult romances could take a note from these books b/c they are characterized well which is much of the battle in writing any novel since you want your characters, for the most part, to be endearing and relatable.
H
Jan 25, 2009 H rated it it was ok
I kind of felt like this book was McClymer trying too hard to be funny and original. It was an okay read, but it took me about a month to get through it because it just wasn't gripping or funny or exciting at all--just kind of there. Granted, there were a few good one-liners, but on the whole, it wasn't anything to shout about. Neither really good nor really bad. Just there.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2008 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is part of the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies Line, like the book by Friedman I read a few weeks back. This one was better, really. Still not the best, still pretty predictable, but better than the first one. This one is about finding love and dating from high school to college and how the more things change, the more they stay the same really.
Christiane
Aug 03, 2011 Christiane rated it liked it
Ry
Jul 12, 2008 Ry rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, simon-pulse
The way that Kelly writes is enough to catch my attention. It draws you in and won't let you stop reading the book until you are finished with the book. The story line is compelling, even if it is a little sterotypical.
Shannon
Jan 10, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-books
This book was good but it was a bit boring in some parts. I liked some parts but overall it wasn't that great. The details were good, the descriptions of the characters were good it's just the storyline that needed a little working on.
Olivia
Oct 19, 2011 Olivia rated it it was ok
Um....what? So, first off, where was the plot? Second, It was confusing. I totally didn't understand the ending. Like really, how are we suppose to know that "I blinked first." Is a love proclamation? Sigh. I was expecting a great book, but was really disappointed.
Stephanie Frugis Foti
The story was okay but it was a little weird reading about someone away at college. I commuted so I lived home when I read this book. I felt like I related better with high school books than someone who wasn't living at home like in this book
Julia
Mar 16, 2015 Julia rated it liked it
Great little book to have a quick read. I bought this book for 25 cents so I really enjoyed. Although the plot was predictable and didn't leave me with suspense, it was still a pleasure to read and take my mind off stress.
Sheena
Oct 07, 2010 Sheena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute easy read.
Katie-Lee
Nov 30, 2009 Katie-Lee rated it liked it
Romance... over all it was pretty good.
Allyson
May 08, 2009 Allyson rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-09
this was an okay book. I liked it, but it deffinetly isn't my favorite Simon Pulse.
Jezza
Sep 23, 2012 Jezza rated it liked it
I didn't really understand this story very well (maybe it's because I'm too young).
Jo
Jul 04, 2016 Jo rated it liked it
Cute, but I don't have much else to say about it, good or bad. Interpret that how you will. A good take-a-break book when the non-fiction I'm working gets a little tiring.
Maria
Oct 05, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
hi bii neva finished iz brin lolz
Karen
Nov 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
Trite. Predictable. Formulatic. The book is oddly engaging in an annoying sort of way, but you don't really end up caring for any of the characters by the end of this not-at-all realistic story.
Janae
Jan 06, 2015 Janae rated it did not like it
I HATED THIS BOOK BY THE TIME I GOT TO THE FIRST CHAPTER. THAT'S WHERE I STOPPED.
Karen
May 04, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-fiction
I'm becoming a fan of this publisher and all of the cute romances. They're all a little brainless, but cute and a quick read.
  • Gettin’ Lucky
  • In the Stars
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • Animal Attraction
  • Perfect Shot
  • Dancing Queen
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • South Beach Sizzle
  • She's Got the Beat
  • Cupidity
  • Scary Beautiful
  • Love on Cue
  • Miss Match
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
USA Today bestselling author Kelly McClymer writes fairytale-inspired romances set in Victorian England (although a few characters escape to the United States), fairytale fantasy, and mom-inspired mystery.

Kelly shares her characters’ family values: she grew up with three younger sisters and has successfully raised three children of her own. She enjoys spending time with her grandchildren.

Kelly’s f
More about Kelly McClymer...