Start by marking “The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings” as Want to Read:
The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings

The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is a collection of stories where the main feature is the ending. Sometimes it's an unpleasant or a nasty end, sometimes there is an unexpected twist, but usually the ending comes as a complete surprise to the people in the story.
Published March 26th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Oxford Book of Nasty Endings

Alex
Nov 02, 2014 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. It's for young readers (I'm thinking middle school) and every story has a nasty ending. The stories start out mediocre and never get better. Maybe my tastes run too strongly towards a more sophisticated story. Maybe the relentless twist endings and stings at the end of the tale make it predictably dull. But most of this collection was lifeless. Maybe I would have liked this in 5th or 6th grade, but not now.

First, most of the stories are pretty dated. Considering the public
Thom (T.E.)
Jul 28, 2013 Thom (T.E.) rated it liked it
Picked up at the library, on a whim--and glad I did. The editing is brilliant for the target audience (teens, but also reaching to hook precocious middle-schoolers). The "anecdote plus a twist" material meant for the youngest range of the audience was over swiftly, so no harm done. A couple of pieces were a bit toothless or obvious. But the majority of the stories made for gripping light reads. A classic mix of talent: Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, John Collier, Henry Slesar. The idea of a "na ...more
Kristal
Jan 21, 2016 Kristal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of suspenseful & spooky short stories that are even more chilling by the fact that each one is about normal people doing normal, everyday things...then something nasty happens!
Madalynn
Oct 19, 2010 Madalynn rated it really liked it
This book was kinda good. The front cover and some of the summarys of some stories got me interested. But, I kinds feel that I was let down. I really enjoy mystery, ghost stories and murder books and this had some of all of them in some of the stories. What I kinda feel let down about though, was the fact that some of the stories weren't so good, I could predict what was going to happen, or I just didn't get it.
I did kinda like some of the stories though. Some were very clever and I enjoyed th
I remembered this book because I remembered a short story about a secret society of people who kill other people at a distance just by wishing them dead. Expert Googling led me to "The Candidate" by Henry Slesar, and checking through anthologies containing it brought me back to this book. There's quite a bit of other good stuff in here too, including "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury. Some of the stories are pretty deeply creepy; some are darkly funny; quite a few made my skin crawl. All in all, worth ...more
Conal Cochran
This anthology came out towards the tail end of the 90s YA horror boom, but it stands as maybe the best anthology of dark fiction for the tween and teen set, what with its literate approach and inclusion of slightly more "adult" horror stories (Ramsey Campbell's "Call First," for example). This book walks a perfect balance between having young protagonists and age-appropriate content without seeming watered-down , hokey, or derivative.
Auris
Jan 24, 2011 Auris rated it it was amazing
There are some truly amazing and hilarious story endings. I enjoyed reading nearly all of them, except two or three, which were a bit boring. But all in all, it was a pretty amazing book full of good short-storeis.
Rianna
it was ok, didn't really do it for me though. I was hoping to be scared silly but I guess not...
Ikyoto
Aug 19, 2007 Ikyoto rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kids and people who like quick reads with twist endings
There were a few stories in this book that were a 5, but most were not so good.
Hel Gibbons
Some great, nasty stories in here...
Nikki Spencer
Nikki Spencer marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Paul Brenzel
Paul Brenzel rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Anthony James
Anthony James rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Nabel2
Nabel2 added it
Dec 28, 2015
Cassidy Sedore
Cassidy Sedore rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Angel He
Angel He marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Margaret Chadwick
Margaret Chadwick marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
laughing sal
laughing sal marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Saad
Saad added it
Jun 25, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Bosco Burns
Bosco Burns rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015