Start by marking “sed & awk” as Want to Read:
sed & awk

sed & awk

sed & awk describes two text processing programs that are mainstays of the UNIX programmer's toolbox.

sed is a "stream editor" for editing streams of text that might be too large to edit as a single file, or that might be generated on the fly as part of a larger data processing step. The most common operation done with sed is substitution, replacing one block of text

Paperback, 2nd Edition, 434 pages
Published March 1997 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 8th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about sed & awk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about sed & awk

Darin
I really don't care for this book. It's probably OK if I wanted to read the entire thing to learn to use sed and awk, but it makes a poor reference. Virtually every time I have turned to this book to learn how to do something in sed or awk, I was left disappointed. The information may be there, but I couldn't find it by browsing the book.
Jeffrey Sung
Feb 23, 2017 Jeffrey Sung rated it liked it
Solid and gets the job done without being flashy, and without being the easiest reference.

Kinda like sed and awk themselves I suppose.
Michael
Jan 21, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
I've heard it all, "I could do that using -e in PERL", "Why not formalize the script into compiled code" You know Python Blah blah Ruby blah blah.....The only answer I got is I LIKE AWK! So sue me, I LIKE AWK. It works, it's fun, it's way powerful and it's old school cool. This book is handy BTW. That said I think for the big examples used in this book, I would use C++ or Python. Still, some of my favorite computer moments have been long awk commands that did everything except wash my car. Oh ye ...more
Nick Black
Dec 03, 2007 Nick Black rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rarely have I encountered a book so glaring in omissions, so infuriating in its jejune, apish self-congratulation, so replete with galling error. I should have never stolen this from Jonathan Wenger, but should you ever read this, buddy, I'll accept your late thanks. We should've burned this cowpie in the TA lab and played more Online College Jeopardy! GOMBIZ, Dale Dougherty.

It would seem the 2nd Edition has a wholly new author. While the elimination of Dale's cretinous oversight couldn't make t
Chris Maguire
Sep 06, 2012 Chris Maguire rated it liked it
sed & awk is an interesting history lesson; it is clear, well-written and interesting. I personally have no current use for either sed or awk, but I know have a very good idea of what they are capable of so I can consider them tools in my programmer tool belt.

If I needed to do some quick and dirty edits then I might use sed or awk, but for anything involved I would use programming high level language that I already know such as Clojure or Java.
Rustam
Mar 15, 2007 Rustam rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
It's possible that knowing sed and awk is the most unglamorous skill one can possibly have as a software engineer. Nevertheless, I bought this book and have used sed quite frequently through out my career, because I do a lot of crude text parsing. It's a good book, and the colophon is even cooler than the O'Reilly vi book. Long live O'Reilly!
Jerry Cheung
Jan 05, 2015 Jerry Cheung rated it liked it
This book was a good introduction to what problems are well suited for sed and awk. Dougherty covered the concepts behind line editing, and builds on examples over the chapters. It's tricky to remember the less frequently used features, but the book also serves as a good reference.
Nathan
Jul 13, 2013 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been working with UNIX for about 19 years but I've never taken the time to learn sed and I've only worked a bit with awk. This book has help fill in quite a large gap in my knowledge and skills.
Carl Hamlin
Jul 06, 2008 Carl Hamlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux
The book does what it purports to do, that being to lead the reader through the use of sed & awk. It's a very dry read, however, and doesn't really do much to stimulate interest in the tools it's ostensibly promoting.
carl  theaker
Feb 16, 2011 carl theaker rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Handy reference used with 'The AWK Programming Language'
as it also contains sed.
Used awk for a lot of statistical analysis on large text files.
Handy once you get used to it.

And I need a reference as 16 minutes after you write this
stuff, you can't tell what it is doing.

Ivan Idris
Dec 26, 2011 Ivan Idris rated it liked it
Sed and awk are Unix power tools. Actually Awk is more of a programming language. This book is a good tutorial on both tools. Apparently it is one of the most popular books on the subject.
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Eddie
Eddie rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Shubham Hupare
Shubham Hupare rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Sergey
Sergey rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Russell Rockefeller
Russell Rockefeller rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Mark Stanfill
Mark Stanfill rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Conail Stewart
Conail Stewart rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Matthew Pare
Matthew Pare rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Robert Stevenson
Robert Stevenson rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Umakaruna
Umakaruna rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Jan Silva
Jan Silva rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Danielle Romain
Danielle Romain rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Eugene Mah
Eugene Mah rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Rico
Rico rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2009
Randy
Randy rated it it was ok
May 23, 2013
Suzeanne
Suzeanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
peter kuczynski
peter kuczynski rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2015
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Essential System Administration: Tools and Techniques for Linux and Unix Administration
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Learning the vi and Vim Editors
  • Learning Perl
  • Lex & Yacc
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Practical C Programming
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • Learning GNU Emacs
  • DNS and BIND
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Perl in a Nutshell
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel
  • UNIX Power Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »