Start by marking “sed & awk” as Want to Read:
sed & awk

sed & awk

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  13 reviews

sed & awk describes two text processing programs that are mainstays of the UNIX programmer's toolbox.

sed is a "stream editor" for editing streams of text that might be too large to edit as a single file, or that might be generated on the fly as part of a larger data processing step. The most common operation done with sed is substitution, replacing one block of text

Paperback, 2nd Edition, 434 pages
Published March 1997 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 8th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about sed & awk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about sed & awk

Darin
I really don't care for this book. It's probably OK if I wanted to read the entire thing to learn to use sed and awk, but it makes a poor reference. Virtually every time I have turned to this book to learn how to do something in sed or awk, I was left disappointed. The information may be there, but I couldn't find it by browsing the book.
Michael
I've heard it all, "I could do that using -e in PERL", "Why not formalize the script into compiled code" You know Python Blah blah Ruby blah blah.....The only answer I got is I LIKE AWK! So sue me, I LIKE AWK. It works, it's fun, it's way powerful and it's old school cool. This book is handy BTW. That said I think for the big examples used in this book, I would use C++ or Python. Still, some of my favorite computer moments have been long awk commands that did everything except wash my car. Oh ye ...more
Nick Black
Rarely have I encountered a book so glaring in omissions, so infuriating in its jejune, apish self-congratulation, so replete with galling error. I should have never stolen this from Jonathan Wenger, but should you ever read this, buddy, I'll accept your late thanks. We should've burned this cowpie in the TA lab and played more Online College Jeopardy! GOMBIZ, Dale Dougherty.

It would seem the 2nd Edition has a wholly new author. While the elimination of Dale's cretinous oversight couldn't make t
Chris Maguire
sed & awk is an interesting history lesson; it is clear, well-written and interesting. I personally have no current use for either sed or awk, but I know have a very good idea of what they are capable of so I can consider them tools in my programmer tool belt.

If I needed to do some quick and dirty edits then I might use sed or awk, but for anything involved I would use programming high level language that I already know such as Clojure or Java.
Rustam
It's possible that knowing sed and awk is the most unglamorous skill one can possibly have as a software engineer. Nevertheless, I bought this book and have used sed quite frequently through out my career, because I do a lot of crude text parsing. It's a good book, and the colophon is even cooler than the O'Reilly vi book. Long live O'Reilly!
carl  theaker

Handy reference used with 'The AWK Programming Language'
as it also contains sed.
Used awk for a lot of statistical analysis on large text files.
Handy once you get used to it.

And I need a reference as 16 minutes after you write this
stuff, you can't tell what it is doing.

Carl Hamlin
The book does what it purports to do, that being to lead the reader through the use of sed & awk. It's a very dry read, however, and doesn't really do much to stimulate interest in the tools it's ostensibly promoting.
Nathan
I've been working with UNIX for about 19 years but I've never taken the time to learn sed and I've only worked a bit with awk. This book has help fill in quite a large gap in my knowledge and skills.
Ivan Idris
Sed and awk are Unix power tools. Actually Awk is more of a programming language. This book is a good tutorial on both tools. Apparently it is one of the most popular books on the subject.
Tom
Good reference, good for regular expressions.
David
I've happily forgotten everything I learned. :-)
Hiroshi
concise, and written very clearly.
Richard Pyne
Richard Pyne marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Rino Kadijk
Rino Kadijk is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Arkuat
Arkuat marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gajo
Gajo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Gajo
Gajo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Axel
Axel marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Devon Radford
Devon Radford marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Programming Perl
  • Learning Perl
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Essential System Administration: Tools and Techniques for Linux and Unix Administration
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Lex & Yacc
  • DNS and BIND
  • Practical C Programming
  • Learning GNU Emacs
  • Understanding the Linux Kernel
  • Learning the vi Editor
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • UNIX Power Tools
  • TCP/IP Network Administration

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
UNIX Text Processing The Mosaic Handbook for the X Window System Xview Programmers Guide The Mosaic Handbook for Microsoft Windows Using UUCP and Usenet