Start by marking “Knee Deep in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Knee Deep in Paradise
Preview

Knee Deep in Paradise

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The star of the popular ABC-TV series Grace Under Fire recounts her childhood in the South as the daughter of an absent, alcoholic father, her experience with domestic abuse, and her start as a comedienne.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Knee Deep in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee Deep in Paradise

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
202nd out of 1,392 books — 1,784 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerA Round-Heeled Woman by Jane JuskaThe Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan
Brave Dames
35th out of 102 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Em
The gal can write!! I hope one day she tackles a work of fiction. I connected to her story right away. As I am in the process of coming to terms with my own addiction I could related to the feelings she had about her alcoholism. And even though my father stayed with the family, I felt I understood, because though my father was physically present during my youth, he felt emotionally distant and offered a connection only on his terms which was hard for me to do. When I got to the passage she wrote ...more
Valissa
"I threw my virginity out of the speeding car that was my life"
Lisa James
This autobio by Brett herself is a pretty powerful read. It's FULL of the horrors she went through, the abuse she suffered at the hands of her first husband, & it turns out her Mom was also battered, the girls just didn't SEE it, & her search for family answers about the father she never really knew well.
ReGina Welling
This is one of my all time favorite memoirs. Painfully honest, sensitive but strong and deliciously flawed, Butler speaks with immense vulnerability as she tells her story.

I've never written a fan letter, but for this book, I might be tempted.
Shani
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. She didn't say much about being part of Grace Under Fire but I guess that it doesn't really pertain to the story she was telling about her life. I only somewhat knew what her life was like before she became famous. She's come a long way and worked really hard to be who she is now.

I was fortunate enough to meet Brett about 7 years ago and she was one of the sweetest and nicest celebrities I've ever met. I met her when she was staying at the hotel I was working at
Kaethe
I quite like Brett Butler and her comedic persona. She's funny. If you're looking for a celebrity memoir of alcoholism and sobering up, you could no doubt read something much worse.
Brian Gryphon
I read this as a hardcover shortly after it came out...recently found her on Twitter. Seems she still acts a bit but has also developed her spiritual side.
Stephanie
Loved this book.
I wish there was second book to see where she is now.
Michael Nalbone
It was darker than expected, but made me realize what do I have to complain about?
Leslie
Jul 30, 2007 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brett Butler fans
I enjoyed this book because I have always enjoyed Brett Butler's stand-up. I thought it was interesting that she was raised in Tuskegee, a primarily black town (but was born in Montgomery about 40 miles down the road). Now that I live about 20 miles from Tuskegee, it makes it kind of cool. I always like reading about Alabama people and comedians, so this was a win-win for me. I don't remember a whole lot about the book, other than I liked it.
Mike
I read this book in between two epic WW2 books that i needed a break from. i enjoyed this memoir a lot. This was a great and concisely written memoir. She didn't harbor on a single event in her life, but rather mentioned and explained the interesting bits. Knowing hardly anything about Brett I was rather impressed by how well she wrote.
Jess
A friend just returned this book to me, which I estimate I read & loaned to him in about 1997! I'd completely forgotten about it, but when I got it back, I remember being impressed with Ms. Butler's writing style & her seemingly objective look at her own life.
Rae
An uncommonly well-written celebrity bio from the television star and stand-up comic Brett Butler. She has battled drug and alchohol abuse, suffered through an abusive marriage, and continues to heal from her dysfunctional Southern family environment.
Hallie Huffman
This book came at just the right time in my life. Anyone living under the tyranny of their spouse will recognize themselves in this book, and if you are a hick (like me) it just might be disturbing how much you can actually relate!
Theadra
I have bought this book twice. I'd loaned it and it wasn't returned. Butler is a really great writer and I wish she'd write something again. I think this book is as good as any southern gothic novel I've read.
Melissa
Got this one at a dollar store. Another one of the comedian/sitcom star/authors of the 90s. It's a miracle of the human condition, the connection between laughter and tears, heartbreak and humor.
Meen
I got this one before I got sober, but after Peg got sober, so it was a little uncomfortable reading about Brett Butler's alcoholism and recovery... I was still in denial, of course.
Elizabeth
Her life was hard, but that's no excuse.

BTW, that's just a joke. I have nothing personally against Brett or her book.
Lynne
loved this book...she's a very funny lady who has lived a difficult life....and managed to come out on top
Linda
Heard her discuss this on a talk show and found her story to be interesting; although, I hadn't been a fan.
Dawn Betts-Green
One of my favorite autobiographies and comedians of all time. Need more stars to click!
Coleen
I never was intrested in Brett Butles, but her story is a good one.
Etienne
this book is really great found it hard to put down
Crista
This incredible woman has been through A LOT!
The Arcane Master
Funny as hell, and a bit tragic as well.
Megan
really awesome and intriguing book.
Rhonda
This was good. Not a, "I can't put this down type of book", but decent.
Lori
Lori is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
  • Wake Up, I'm Fat!
  • Find Me
  • Audrey: Her Real Story
  • The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe
  • Will There Really Be a Morning?
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found
  • Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
  • An Actual Life
  • Chasing Down the Dawn
  • The Murder of Princess Diana
  • The First Time
  • Evenings at Five: A Novel and Five New Stories
  • Crash Diet
Field of Hope: An Inspiring Autobiography of a Lifetime of Overcoming Odds Stay Dogs-An American Prosaic Brett Butler Presents: The Southern Belles of Comedy A Nationwide Location Data Base And Service Library And Patron Response To The Com Catalog: Use And Evaluation: Report Of A Field Study Of The Los Angeles County Public Library System