Start by marking “Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario” as Want to Read:

Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Unknown Binding, 156 pages
Published January 1st 1979 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yobgorgle, Mystery Monster of Lake Ontario

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezThe Giver by Lois LowryA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleHave Space Suit—Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein
Best Children's Science Fiction Books
130th out of 187 books — 218 voters
A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve HamiltonMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieBetter Read Than Dead by Victoria LaurieA Superior Death by Nevada Barr
Books set in Michigan
93rd out of 303 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
Der Fliegende Schweine German U-boat condemned to sail the Great Lakes until the captain finds the worlds best pastrami sandwich. Pinkwater is master of the incongruous. Really funny stuff.
Josher71
Jun 26, 2008 Josher71 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was ten. Jessie(see friends) got this for me for Xmas 2006 and I was pretty much overjoyed. If you like, um, reading, you should check it out.
Carla
Jul 29, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing
This book was so goofy and ridiculous - Daniel Pinkwater rocks!
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
Aug 08, 2016 Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Yobgorgle, Mystery monster of Lake Ontario by Daniel Pinkwater was a silly, entertaining kids’ book that was originally written in 1979. Even though it feels a bit dated, due to the payphone and ridiculous amount of food Eugene can eat with just a couple of dollars, it’s still entirely enjoyable. I came across it on Amazon, and the ridiculous name meant I just had to check it out.

This is almost perfectly written, with nearly ever sentence propelling the story forward. Eugene is a kid with common
Scott
Oct 14, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Fantastic, amazing, wonderful, magical (get the picture)!
It's Pinkwater so if you're already a fan then you've probably already read this.
If you're not a fan then shame on you - he's the most amazing, subversive, funny, zany, crazy writer out there and this is one of his best.

Kid goes to stay with his uncle BUT
the uncle has to go to Rochester (my hometown) for two week AND
takes the kid BUT
there's not much for the kid to do all day in Rochester SO
he winds up hooking up with a monster hunter AND
be
Michele Krejny
Sep 14, 2014 Michele Krejny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, fast read

My seven-year-old loves Daniel Pinkwater, and we read his books a chapter at a time at bedtime. When we finished this one, my son declared, "That...was...awesome!" A fun plot, and great characters!
Turi
May 09, 2008 Turi rated it liked it
After I recently read Daniel Pinkwater's The Neddiad, it reminded me of one of my favorite books when I was a kid. Yobgorgle is the story of a kid who, left to his own devices while staying with an uncle, ends up as a research assistant to a monster-hunting scientist. It turns out that the monster they are searching for is a giant pig-shaped submarine with a cursed captain. And believe it or not, it is even more bizarre than that. Great stuff. It makes me feel good that I liked this kind of deli ...more
Samantha
Aug 11, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
pinkwater was great. bizarre books. so fun. I think fat men from space was my favorite though.
Travis
Feb 18, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A fun read from Mr. Pinkwater.
A boy travels with his Dad and while his Dad is at work the kid explores the town, discovering the local library and then discover the legend of the local monster, Yoborgle.

It is a pretty straightforward story, surprising for a Pinkwater book, until the last quarter of the book where we then meet some very Pinkwater-ish characters and the monster is explained.

There are no bad Pinkwater books, but this was not as strong as some of his others. A fun read that my kids
Allie
May 31, 2016 Allie rated it it was amazing
One of the world's best storytellers. Daniel Pinkwater has the ability to take a simple idea of looking for a mystery monster and turning it into a bizarrely strange, funny and fantastical story.
May 20, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Another crazy but fun Pinkwater. I enjoyed it more than Borgle...as did Abel. Totally ridiculous characters.
Josh
Jul 09, 2010 Josh rated it really liked it
More goofy fun from Daniel Pinkwater. Gotta love pig submarines and insta food machines!
Claire Scott
That Daniel Pinkwater - what a wacky guy!
Stacy
May 01, 2009 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009, ya
Goofy and fun. Wish I'd read it as a kid.
Daniel
Nov 14, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Because I read it, it's awesome.
Amaali
Jan 11, 2012 Amaali rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. So witty.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
David
David added it
Aug 08, 2016
Anthony Valletta
Anthony Valletta rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Olivia Power
Olivia Power marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jered
Jered marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Christina Scholz
Christina Scholz marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Mike MacLean
Mike MacLean rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Isabel
Isabel added it
Mar 15, 2016
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Leah Rodriguez
Leah Rodriguez marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...