Start by marking “The Afterlife Diet” as Want to Read:
The Afterlife Diet

The Afterlife Diet

A novel as big as all outdoors--a murder mystery set in heaven! The acclaimed NPR commentator and children's author explores what happens when fat people go to one heaven, and all others go to another. A novel of dazzling brilliance and consummate wit, it also tells the real story of weight consciousness in America.
Published February 28th 1995 by Random House (NY) (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Afterlife Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Afterlife Diet

e smith
Nov 15, 2007 e smith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ...this question stumps me
What I learned from this book: Well, sometimes the used book shop just does not have what you want, so you get a hankering for Daniel Pinkwater, and you buy some weird book with a hot dog on the cover....'cause really, how wrong can you go with a book with a flying hot dog on the cover. This book was dislocating. I didn't get the point. People were eating lots of food, and trying to diet, and then some people were in some kind of fat people heaven, and God kept having BINGO night. Also there wer ...more
Julie H.
Mar 25, 2009 Julie H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a very odd book, and I'm not sure that I got it. To my mind, there appeared to be entirely too much obsessing about fat people--which may, I supect, have been the author's point entirely. Or simply that we are altogether too concerned with appearances. Regardless, the AA-style meetings where the "fatty" is heaped with abuse--much of it from him/herself--is pretty tough to take. It makes you, the reader, complicit somehow. Anyhow, I stuck it out, finished the book, and found it to be odd ...more
Chi Dubinski
May 16, 2012 Chi Dubinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that answers the question: is there weight loss after death?
Milton Cramer, a lousy book editor, woke to find himself in heaven. Or he thought it was heaven—if heaven was a resort in the Catskills. Everyone in the afterlife is fat. And God is the stand-up comic.
Meanwhile, back on earth, there is a psychiatrist who practices in the Imago Luncheonette; a failed author penning a book about bloodsucking parakeets; and a weight loss guru in the style of Richard Simmons.
Pinkwater is a popul
Barbara Moroch
Mar 04, 2008 Barbara Moroch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Oh boy, is this a goodie! Daniel Pinkwater is noted for being a children's author, and I believe this is his only book (a fiction) written for adults. His writing style is smooth and simple - reading the book is pure joy. The characters are hysterical, the plot lines are equally hysterical and as an added bonus, there are full-scale stories within the story. Lots of Jewish humor and a must-read for anyone who appreciates outlandish plots with plenty of knishes thrown in for good measure!
Stven
Dec 19, 2011 Stven rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of Daniel Pinkwater's books pitched at adolescent readers, in which imagination and wacky humor converge with wonderful results. I don't enjoy his stab at a book for adults quite so much. There are still occasionally laugh-out-loud lines, but... here I am on page 109 and I'm taking the book back to the library. I think there's just not enough "what could possibly happen next?" in it.
Ian Bost
Mar 14, 2016 Ian Bost rated it it was ok
Maybe more like 2.5 starts. I admire the imagination of Pinkwater and the fact that the book kept going in directions I didn't expect, but I suppose I found the intended satire on weight issues and dieting to be kind of shrill--there was a lot of over the top fat shaming, for example. Nevertheless, there were some amusing scenes and droll touches.
Kim
Sep 17, 2012 Kim rated it did not like it
I understood that this book was supposed to be hilarious. I guess the bizarreness of the book took away from the satire for me. it does skewer the diet industry and the after life, but I had trouble finding the humor. Too much of it just wanders around with no real destination. Not too happy with it, and I do like his kids books.
Taylor
Nov 16, 2009 Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyable book and entertaining characters, but it lacked the snap of Young Adult Novel and some of the other stuff I've read by him. But, it's still Pinkwater and therefore still delightfully bizarre.
Elesa Hagberg
May 04, 2011 Elesa Hagberg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've tried to read this book several times, but have finally realized that finishing this book just isn't in the cards for me. It is an adult novel, and I am just not that kind of adult. So I have to accept that there will be one Daniel Pinkwater book I will never read. And that is life.
Amber
Oct 16, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
i think this could be almost like douglas adam's type books but I couldn't get my head wrapped in it. A bit of a chore. An interesting concept, and some neat ideas about "fat" and the desire for thin. I am not sad I read it, but felt confused for much of it. :)
Wendy
Jan 08, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is dry humor at its best. I can't remember when I laughed so hard at the cold hard truth. I can't help but be impressed with an author that squelchs my idea of Heaven, and offers comfort in that second slice of pie all within the first chapter! lol
Suzette Goldfinger
Pinkwater is known for children's books and this is NOT one of them! Must have dry sense of humor and open mind to enjoy. I thought this book was hilarious!
Pat
Nov 03, 2014 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Supposed to be funny, a heaven for fat people.
Takes place on heaven and on earth.
Confusing shifts in time.
Some funny moments, but overall, a disappointment.
Laurah
Sep 24, 2008 Laurah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pinkwater is amazing! This one, eh, worth reading. This is one of his few books intended for an older audience.
Dana
Sep 15, 2010 Dana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was the worst book I've ever read. I remember my fifth grade teacher reading kids books by this author. He should stick to kids books!
Jacob
Jul 06, 2007 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel concerned with the fundamental issues of our times: love, sex, the problem of evil, the problem of literary agents, how to best prepare a hot dog and whether there is weight loss in heaven.
Ali
Nov 08, 2012 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Starts off kind of cool and wacky at the beginning and everything gets sorted out at the end, but doesn't really go anywhere.
Theresa
Jan 20, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was funny! So many people say on this site that they didn't get it. They probably wouldn't get it if it came in a large bag marked "it."
Greg Fanoe
Feb 27, 2012 Greg Fanoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could sort of see what he was going for, but this really lacked the oomph of Young Adult Novel. He should stick to kids books.
Judi Geer
Jul 29, 2012 Judi Geer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He has that crazy sense of humor that I love! No jokes; just funny situations with a unique take. I have found myself laughing out loud once or twice.
Punleu
Punleu rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2011
Scott Gillespie
Scott Gillespie rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Russell Hamel
Russell Hamel rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2008
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Danya
Danya rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2011
Stephen Henderson
Stephen Henderson rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2010
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
May 18, 2013
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • America's Dumbest Criminals: Wild and Weird Stories of Fumbling Felons, Clumsy Crooks, and Ridiculous Robbers
  • Höhenrausch
  • In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules
  • Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken, Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies
  • Flashback
  • The Deadly Streets
  • The Limerick
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers
  • Insider Dating
  • American Cornball: A Laffopedic Guide to the Formerly Funny
  • The Unpossessed City
  • Disney's The Parent Trap
  • The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World
  • Citizen Marketers: When People Are the Message
  • New Interpreter's Study Bible-NRSV
  • Daily Candy A to Z: An Insider's Guide to the Sweet Life
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...