Nocover-blank-133x176
The Anatomy of Human D...

Erich Fromm

The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,275 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In this book, the distinguished author writes to break the deadlock in the struggle between the instinctivism of Konrad Lorenz & behavior psychologist B.F. Skinner.
Preface
Terminology
Introduction
1 Instinctivism, behaviorism, psychoanalysis. The instinctivists
Environmentalists & behaviorists
Instinctivism & behaviorism: their differences & similarities
The psy...more
Published 1974 by Jonathan Cape (London) (first published 1973)

Ali
نزوع الانسان نحو التدمير هو طبع تُخلق له كل الظروف لكي يتطبعه بني البشر في عصر "الانسان الحديث"
وليس بغريزة تحكمنا لا مفر منها خُلقت معنا لتلازم الانسان نحو "مصير محتوم وهو الفناء"

Željko
Unfortunately, more relevant today than when I first read (early seventies). It seems everything is going a bit backwards.
Erin
Jan 12, 2008 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: the government.
If everyone in the world read this book, it would pretty much solve everything.
Karen
My FIRST reading of this book was when it was first published in 1973. And now I read it again. I had read other books by Erich Fromm and was reading different approaches to Psychology. It is said that Fromm was a pioneer in theoretical works with "deep insight" into the the human psyche. As you can see by the title, he explores the dark side of the huiman psyche with quotes, references, comparisons, and rebuttals of the works of others. In the last part of this text, he discusses, "Malignant Ag...more
The Hermit's
"Is aggression instinctive or behavioral?

"Fromm moves toward a provocative conclusion which involves a critical revision of Freud's theory of a 'death instinct' in man... Fromm's studies of Stalin and Himmler, and especially his penetrating psychobiography of Hitler, fascinatingly support his thesis" - Publisher's Weekly

Only after reading this was I aware of Freud's work on a 'death instinct'. This was a hilarious insightful read of a bizarre but plausible theory. I need not explain more, the...more
Prokop Holy
We need to create the conditions that would make the growth of man, this unfinished and uncompleted being - unique in nature - the supreme goal of all social arrangements. Genuine freedom and independence and the end of all forms of exploitative control are the conditions for mobilizing the love of life, which is the only force that can defeat the love for the dead.
It is much easier to get excited by anger, rage, cruelty, or the passion to destroy than by love and productive and active interest,...more
John G.
I would recommend anyone to read any of Fromm's work. This man to me, his contributions to psychology and to the understanding of the world and the human condition eclipse those of Freud and Jung. Just saying. This book gets to the questions of why things are so screwed up, why are people so violent and aggressive? I like his answers, it's a maladjusted attempt to deal with life, one way is the nihilistic (destroy that which I don't understand) or the sadistic (control that which I don't underst...more
Rowena
This a book showing that human is more violent than animal. The more "civilized", the more violent he becomes. When reading this book, I remember a National Geographic episode showing the most dangerous cat variety. Can you imagine that tiger and lion are second to house-cat? House cat kills anything, while tiger and lion merely kill their food. Just like human, don't you think?
Taylor
A fascinating tome I've read and re-read and highlighted and read some more. Sparked my interest in non-fiction reading in general, and Nazi history in particular. Indirectly sparked a long love affair with history, so I have much to thank it for. I must re-read it yet another time.
Erik Graff
Apr 29, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: WFMT
Shelves: psychology
During the summer between college and my first graduate school I worked as a security guard for Chicago's Womens' Athletic Club on Ontario and Michigan Avenues in the Gold Coast area. The job had been obtained for me, and others of our friends, by Mike and Tom Miley whose mother, Helen, was working as the business manager there. After graduating from seminary she was kind enough to employ me again until I found more regular work.

The position at the club was a peach. My duties consisted of guardi...more
Dylan
Fromm immediately endeared himself to me with this epigraph: "When I look at history I am a pessimist... but when I look at prehistory I am an optimist." (Incidentally, this was taken out of context. The writer, JC Smuts, actually only likes prehistory because he believes it shows how far we've come. Quite contrary to the point Fromm is making.)

The first and shortest part of the book is dedicated to a discussion of psychological theory (Instinctivism vs. Behaviorism), and, not being a psychologi...more
Biblioteka
Erich Fromm wrote a brilliant book with great insights into human behaviour. I wouldn't say that all he says in the book is true though. Some of the conclusions are over-generalised, but it's still a fascinating read.
Flavia Sparacino
Fromm's work is current even today. I keep re-reading his books from time to time.
Ileana Pinal
Excelente analisis sobre la violencia humana
Bryn Hammond
Hard to rate, as I read it up to 30 years ago. I'll rate as I judged then. It was big and fascinating for me then and I felt a trust for the author and what he told me. These days, I have to wonder. I don't believe potty-training plays a critical part in the formation of the adult human mind. Still, I suspect the author is a wise soul even if he talks within a frame of the theories of the day. From memory I felt him kind and wise. I'd have given five stars at eighteen.

Heavy on the Nazis.
Hoda
I got this book for 3.5 $ one day as I was walking on the street, and a guy was selling those on the sidewalk. The book called out after me, the title was very attractive, but I never thought it would be such an amazing read! That was back in 2010, I believe. I used this book as a reference for many papers that I wrote, it made me love psychology even more. I shall reread it again this year.
Garrett Dunnington
Freudian; overtly biological. Too many accounts in reference to Freud and other Austrian School psychiatrists. Drags on and on. Nice introduction, but too many comparisons and way too much research data. (non-conclusive).
Sankar Raj
Anatomy of Human Destructiveness is as I see it,is a difficult book to read. In it Fromm discusses various approaches to psychology to understand the roots of violence in human society
Jfish938
Interesting ideas on aggression, although dated and based heavily on more traditional psychoanalytic theory.
Sonia
Aug 20, 2013 Sonia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marked as to read. Have ordered from Amazon and now waiting for its arrival. I am full of anticipation.
Astrid Jakobs
Pretty biased and very dated. However, it has lots of good points. I enjoyed it.
Sandeep Gautam
The book that got me hooked to psychology and was a turning point in my life!!
Bernd
An insight into Freudian anthropology, man as conditioned by his psyche.
Lynda
An amazing plunge into the (20th-century's world leader's) psyches.
Cesar Velez
Revealing nature of mankind, we are not saints!
Yuliya Murashko
Як Гітлер міг зробити таке з атестатом?..
Muhanned
Muhanned marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
  • On Suicide: A Study in Sociology
  • The Will to Meaning: Foundations and Applications of Logotherapy
  • Playing and Reality
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
Erich Fromm was a German-born U.S. psychoanalyst and social philosopher who explored the interaction between psychology and society. His works include The Art of Loving; Love, Sexuality, and Matriarchy; and Man for Himself. He died in 1980.

Fromm's theory is a rather unique blend of Freud and Marx. Freud, of course, emphasized the unconscious, biological drives, repression, and so on. In other word...more
More about Erich Fromm...
The Art of Loving Escape from Freedom To Have or to Be? The Nature of the Psyche The Art of Being The Sane Society

“Critical and radical thought will only bear fruit when it is blended with the most precious quality man is endowed with - the love of life” 20 likes