Start by marking “The Door in the Wall and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  275 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
One confidential evening, not three months ago, Lionel Wallace told methis story of the Door in the Wall. And at the time I thought that so far as he was concerned it was a true story. He told it me with such a direct simplicity of conviction that I could not do otherwise than believe in him. But in the mor-ning, in my own flat, I woke to a different atmosphere, and as I l ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by 1st World Library (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Wall and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

Laren
This book was a gift from my father, the late Dr. Leon Stover, an H.G. Wells scholar. The Door in the Wall is a haunting story, one that I'm about to read again....A story, the narrator assures us, is about "a real door leading through a real wall to immortal realities." For me is is less about hallucination than it is about seizing the moment...letting life's passions evaporate through neglect...I wish Leon were here to discuss...
Piper Hale
It's remarkable how a skilled writer like H.G. Wells can write fiction that resonates with readers a century later. This collection is a little gloomy in its view of humanity; one recurring theme is how preferable it is to die than it is to live in a way that restricts liberty. About half the stories of the collection embrace this theme.

Most of the collection merited four stars, but one story, the hardest to read of the collection, dropped it down to three. The collection deals with Armageddon,
France-Andrée
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did maybe because even though I've heard a lot about this author it was my first time reading him. I like how fantasy and sci-fi are well represented in these short delightful stories.

My favorites were:

The Star which is hard to talk of without giving the punch of it so I won't explain it.

A Dream of Armageddon about a man who has a complete life in his dreams.

The Country of the Blind about a seeing man in a country ruled by the blind. I was very surp
Will
Aug 11, 2014 Will rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"He could not recall the particular neglect that enabled him to get away, nor the course he took among the West Kensington roads. All that had faded among the incurable blurs of memory. But the white wall and the green door stood out quite distinctly.

As his memory of that remote childish experience ran, he did at the very first sight of that door experience a peculiar emotion, an attraction, a desire to get to the door and open it and walk in. And at the same time he had the clearest conviction
Nzinga Foster-Brown
An uninspiring collection of short stories. I was disappointed with this book after reading The War of the Worlds, which is brilliant. The stories were not very interesting and fell short somehow. The storytelling was somewhat lacking. H.G. Wells is not a master of the short story!

There appears to different versions of this book. My copy contained the following stories:

The Door in the Wall
The Lord of the Dynamos
The Country of
Nancy
Feb 15, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of short stories by H. G. Wells. The last story was about a mountain climber, who took a bad fall, and ended up in the Valley of the Blind, where everyone was blind, and cut off from the rest of the world. He thought he could be the leader of this people, because he could see. He ended up fighting with the people. The blind people saw the world from their own perceptive, and they thought the man was an idiot because of the stories he told about being able to see.
Michael Clemens
Nov 26, 2012 Michael Clemens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew H.G. Wells wrote noir? He's celebrated for The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine and other foundational works of what was to become Science Fiction, but these stories show a side of Wells I'd never encountered before. Still florid and descriptive, with the occasional section of occasional (and unfortunate) racism, these stories round out Wells as an author truly ahead of his time. "The Cone" would not be out of place as a the plot of a 1940's film of jealousy and murder, though it was ...more
Michaela
I generally enjoyed the stories by H.G. Wells. The short stories were slightly dark and the endings always had a twist. The writing style and plots encouraged you to think outside the story itself. I would recommend reading this collection when you have the time or the inclination to delve into a story and contemplate the meaning of it. These are not stories meant to be read lightly.
Hannah Wilson
Jan 03, 2016 Hannah Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Door in the Wall is by far my favorite short story that I've read to date, though it's also the most frustrating. I have read it, to myself and others, multiple times, and it never grows old. It sounds for all the world like an allegory, but there are so many possible comparisons that one can never be sure what was meant to be implied, or if there was any allegorical intention at all in the writing of it. It's a story that leaves you wondering, pondering, imagining all of the what-ifs and po ...more
Ekaterina
Aug 01, 2014 Ekaterina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I really liked the Door in the Wall and the Country of the blind. For me they are real art of literature.
Kenneth
Jun 25, 2010 Kenneth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
As always H. G Wells is a author worth coming back to every so often. Reading his stories in the 21st century, easily illustrates that various plaigarisms of his work have been incorperated into many 20th century novels and films - Wells of course, like his stories was always ahead of his times!
Loretta
Apr 29, 2013 Loretta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never actually read any H.G. Wells before, and acquired this as a free e-book for my kobo. The stories were wonderfully creepy and prescient and just good (except for the one that made me cringe with the imperialist-racist-ugh). Going to have to read some more Wells, one of these days.
Rob
Apr 29, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, genre, classic
This collects the birth of bleak science fiction and dark urban fantasy, and hints at the much later development of noir. Marred in places by dated notions of culture, and in one story by overt racism - but very much still worth reading.
Pkelsay
This collection is a nice introduction to Wells' short stories. The tone and flavor are much like his novels, but with an abruptness that prompts more thought, perhaps, than a longer narrative.
Lisa Bilodeau
eBook

I enjoyed The Door in the Wall, The Cone and The Country of Blind Men stories but wasn't crazy about the others. Well written and makes me wish to read more of HG Wells' work.
Antiloquax
Sep 06, 2011 Antiloquax rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I had a really nice edition of this when I was younger. It had some great illustrations (I think they were by Alvin Langdon Coburn). It was one of my favourite books.
Danielle
Sep 10, 2007 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictional
an engaging writer, i found these stories fantastic, if not a bit heart-breaking. doesn't this man believe in happy endings- - ever??
Lisa
Sep 16, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Reading HG Wells help you understand just how much modern Scifi and fantasy novels are based on his imagination.
Alan
Feb 25, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, The Door In The Wall is the one of the greatest short stories in the English Language.
Emy
Aug 30, 2012 Emy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, coursera
Rating for In the Country of the Blind only (read for Coursera).
Terry
May 13, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The master of menacing! Dark stories, beautifully crafted.
Lesley Anne
Beautiful stories with a science-fiction/fantasy flair.
Louise
Feb 16, 2015 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thouroughly enjoyed!
Darby Stewart
Darby Stewart marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
balav895
balav895 rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Richards
Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Odreka Amira
Odreka Amira marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Salman Mehedy Titas
Salman Mehedy Titas marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
  • The Portable Poe
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • Bite Me! A Vampire Farce
  • The Piazza Tales
  • The Man Upstairs and Other Stories (Golf Stories, #0.5)
  • The Eyes Have It
  • The Defeat of Youth and Other Poems
  • Hereticus
  • Nonsense Novels
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten (The Forgotten, #1)
  • Tiger
  • Gumption: The Practical Woman's Guide to Living an Adventuresome Life
  • Youth
  • Wraiths of Time
  • Timecaster
  • The Mark on the Wall and Other Short Fiction
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...