The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  18 reviews
One confidential evening, not three months ago, Lionel Wallace told methis story of the Door in the Wall. And at the time I thought that so far as he was concerned it was a true story. He told it me with such a direct simplicity of conviction that I could not do otherwise than believe in him. But in the mor-ning, in my own flat, I woke to a different atmosphere, and as I l...more
Published March 1st 2007 by 1st World Library (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Wall and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Wall and Other Stories

Laren
This book was a gift from my father, the late Dr. Leon Stover, an H.G. Wells scholar. The Door in the Wall is a haunting story, one that I'm about to read again....A story, the narrator assures us, is about "a real door leading through a real wall to immortal realities." For me is is less about hallucination than it is about seizing the moment...letting life's passions evaporate through neglect...I wish Leon were here to discuss...
Will
"He could not recall the particular neglect that enabled him to get away, nor the course he took among the West Kensington roads. All that had faded among the incurable blurs of memory. But the white wall and the green door stood out quite distinctly.

As his memory of that remote childish experience ran, he did at the very first sight of that door experience a peculiar emotion, an attraction, a desire to get to the door and open it and walk in. And at the same time he had the clearest conviction...more
Piper Hale
It's remarkable how a skilled writer like H.G. Wells can write fiction that resonates with readers a century later. This collection is a little gloomy in its view of humanity; one recurring theme is how preferable it is to die than it is to live in a way that restricts liberty. About half the stories of the collection embrace this theme.

Most of the collection merited four stars, but one story, the hardest to read of the collection, dropped it down to three. The collection deals with Armageddon,...more
Michael Clemens
Who knew H.G. Wells wrote noir? He's celebrated for The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine and other foundational works of what was to become Science Fiction, but these stories show a side of Wells I'd never encountered before. Still florid and descriptive, with the occasional section of occasional (and unfortunate) racism, these stories round out Wells as an author truly ahead of his time. "The Cone" would not be out of place as a the plot of a 1940's film of jealousy and murder, though it was...more
France-Andrée
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did maybe because even though I've heard a lot about this author it was my first time reading him. I like how fantasy and sci-fi are well represented in these short delightful stories.

My favorites were:

The Star which is hard to talk of without giving the punch of it so I won't explain it.

A Dream of Armageddon about a man who has a complete life in his dreams.

The Country of the Blind about a seeing man in a country ruled by the blind. I was very surp...more
Ekaterina
I really liked the Door in the Wall and the Country of the blind. For me they are real art of literature.
Kenneth
As always H. G Wells is a author worth coming back to every so often. Reading his stories in the 21st century, easily illustrates that various plaigarisms of his work have been incorperated into many 20th century novels and films - Wells of course, like his stories was always ahead of his times!
Loretta
I have never actually read any H.G. Wells before, and acquired this as a free e-book for my kobo. The stories were wonderfully creepy and prescient and just good (except for the one that made me cringe with the imperialist-racist-ugh). Going to have to read some more Wells, one of these days.
Rob
This collects the birth of bleak science fiction and dark urban fantasy, and hints at the much later development of noir. Marred in places by dated notions of culture, and in one story by overt racism - but very much still worth reading.
Pkelsay
This collection is a nice introduction to Wells' short stories. The tone and flavor are much like his novels, but with an abruptness that prompts more thought, perhaps, than a longer narrative.
Lisa Bilodeau
eBook

I enjoyed The Door in the Wall, The Cone and The Country of Blind Men stories but wasn't crazy about the others. Well written and makes me wish to read more of HG Wells' work.
Antiloquax
I had a really nice edition of this when I was younger. It had some great illustrations (I think they were by Alvin Langdon Coburn). It was one of my favourite books.
Danielle
an engaging writer, i found these stories fantastic, if not a bit heart-breaking. doesn't this man believe in happy endings- - ever??
Lisa
Reading HG Wells help you understand just how much modern Scifi and fantasy novels are based on his imagination.
Alan Tranter
For me, The Door In The Wall is the one of the greatest short stories in the English Language.
Emy
Rating for In the Country of the Blind only (read for Coursera).
Terry
The master of menacing! Dark stories, beautifully crafted.
Lesley Anne
Beautiful stories with a science-fiction/fantasy flair.
Arlies
Arlies marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Craig Curtis
Craig Curtis marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Lauren Argott
Lauren Argott marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Necole Vitale
Necole Vitale marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Sep 10, 2014
  • The Portable Poe
  • Operation Chaos (Operation Otherworld, #1)
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
  • The Werewolf Principle
  • Ever Increasing Faith
  • Ministry of Intercession
  • Wraiths of Time
  • The Other Side of Life (Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy, #1)
  • A Strange Manuscript found in a Copper Cylinder
  • Untitled
  • The Vanishing
  • The Mark on the Wall and Other Short Fiction
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Lady of the Shroud
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man