Start by marking “Star Wars Tales - Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Tales - Volume 1

Star Wars Tales - Volume 1 (Star Wars Tales #1)

Star Wars Tales contains thrilling stories featuring Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Emperor Palpatine, C-3PO, R2-D2, Lando Calrissian and a cast of thousands! Tales explores every corner of the Star Wars galaxy and keeps readers coming back for more! Star Wars Tales Volume I is sure to delight fans both young and old!
Published January 27th 2004 by Dark Horse Books (first published February 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Tales - Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Tales - Volume 1

Kelly Lynn Thomas
Dec 15, 2011 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
A series that, like "Infinities", explores "what if?" It allows the authors and artists some license to be creative without having to worry about continuity. There are some truly moving stories in "Tales," such as the one about the stormtrooper who has to take point when they board the Tantive IV, and the Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul duel, and the story that shows Vader with 3PO on Cloud City during "Empire".
Drew Ck
Sep 05, 2012 Drew Ck rated it it was amazing
Exciting SW comic with several interesting tales, including the tale of R5 the Jedi droid!
Jedi Sunni
Feb 27, 2015 Jedi Sunni rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
Extinction:

This was a great start to Star Wars Tales. I love the art work done on dark woman. She looks elegant, regal and powerful, but also aged and weathered. The dialogue stood out to me as well. I really enjoyed this story. My rating for this story is 4.9 out of 5.0. Great story!

Life, Death and the Living Force:

This story was very spiritual, which allowed me to connect with the subject matter very well. The art was was not as smooth as I would have liked but this did dig a little deeper int
Fizzgig76
Reprints Star Wars Tales #1-4 (September 1999-June 2000). A long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away, the Force was strong and danger lurked behind every corner. Stories of the battle between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance still rise up and stories of Jedis run deep.

Written by a large collection of some of comics best writers, Star Wars Tales: Volume 1 was a collection of the quarterly Dark Horse Comic Star Wars Tales. Each issue of the series was oversized and contained a number of storie
Neville Ridley-smith
Jul 24, 2016 Neville Ridley-smith rated it liked it
Shelves: starwars, comics
Fun for the most part.

Following are the story names followed by my thoughts on the author and artist. (This is mostly for my own reference to know if I should check out other Star Wars comics by these people.)

Extinction
Ron Marz: ok story, not much to it
Claudio Castellini: great art

Life, Death, and the Living Force
Jim Woodring: meh
Robert Teranishi: not my favourite style

Skippy the Jedi Droid
Peter David: fun idea - amusing
Martin Egeland: ok

Mara Jade: A Night on the Town
Timothy Zahn: it was ok
Igor
Jeff Lanter
Nov 03, 2010 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
An anthology of short stories set in the Star Wars Universe is an excellent idea. Does the execution pay off? The short answer is in some places. There is a mix of good, average, and bad stories in this collection. The size of the graphic novel (200+ pages) for the cost do help offset this however. Some of the stories that I enjoyed the most were:

Extinction - Darth Vader hunts down a Jedi at the height of the Empire's power. This idea has undoubtedly been explored in more detail since the time o
David Caldwell
This is a collection of short graphic novel stories. The characters range from major players like Darth Vader to very minor like the robot with the bad servo that Luke's uncle almost buys. The stories also range from serious to parodies.

For the most part, I preferred the serious stories that added to the overall story. The little bits of information just add that nice feeling of getting to see behind the curtain of the main stage show. The exception for me was the Jar Jar Binks story. It wasn't
Lamora/Ches
May 22, 2015 Lamora/Ches rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A collection of short graphic novel stories, with a decent range of characters. I preferred the stories with a more serious tone that add to the world, much like seeing what happens behind the scenes of the main narrative. My favourites are "Routine" with a very characteristic Solo/Chewie adventure, "Deal With A Demon" which adds to the expanded universe, and "Lady Luck" about Lando.

The exception to this was "The Death of Captain Tarpals" (about Jar Jar Binks) where it was just annoying to read
Khairul H.
Oct 28, 2007 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Star Wars Tales trade series (six volumes in total) is probably my personal favourite of all the Star Wars comic trades. The reason being that the writers clearly had fun writing the stories and they never bothered with continuity. Star Wars fans who insist on that should stop reading now. This series is clearly not for you.

With continuity relegated to Sith hell, we get stories where Vader duels with Maul, Han Solo gets sued by Greedo's mom and a history professor/adventurer named Prof. Jon
Murray Moore
Feb 08, 2017 Murray Moore rated it it was amazing
Star Wars tales Vol.1 is pretty good, some of the stories are better than the others. Overall enjoyable.
Paul Mirek
Nov 25, 2015 Paul Mirek rated it really liked it
This series has done more to endear me to the Star Wars universe than five-and-a-half movies ever could. This volume especially features a fantastic blend of short dramatic vignettes and absurdist off-model takes on the classic characters.
I have a soft spot for the latter, especially Dave Cooper's batty tale of a cantina band on the run and Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier's slapstick skit. But I also loved Jim Woodring and Robert Teranishi's "Life, Death, and the Living Force," which weaves th
Wesley
Mar 06, 2012 Wesley rated it it was ok
A very mixed bag of good stories and really horrible ones. The stories all had different writers and artists so the tone varied wildly from one to the other. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was a bit jarring because they didn't really have any clear delineation between stories. Turn the page and it's something wildly different....

It does have an early appearance of the infamous Mara Jade written by her creator, Timothy Zahn. She was much taller than I expected.
Marko
Jan 24, 2016 Marko rated it it was ok
A hefty collection of more or less average short story comics shedding light to the lives of various denizens of the Star Wars universe. I mainly wanted to check this out for Timothy Zahn's story featuring Mara Jade, which turned out to be a story of mediocre interest, but decided to read the rest of them as well. None of the stories are something that you will remember after you've closed the book and set it aside, but most of them do entertain you for the time you spend reading them.
Jerome
Dec 22, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it
A great collection of fun tales, some serious, some light and fun, as usual. The art’s pretty good (although it naturally has a wide range), especially in “Extinction,” although the art in the Jar-Jar tale seems too cluttered. You might not like all of them, but none of them are terrible. The spoofs are funny, and the more serious tales are deep and intriguing.

Fun and rewarding.
Phillip
Feb 03, 2010 Phillip rated it really liked it
star wars tales is my favorite comic series. sadly no more are being made but nothing good lasts forever. this series will forever change the way you look at star wars. there is so much more then on lucky blond who saves the galaxy. basically a bunch of different comics in one collection. some are serious a lot are funny. overall entertainment. not slapstick but actual entertainment.
Jason
If there is a more loving homage to the Star Wars universe than this series, I have not yet come across it. Stories that range from silly to serious and art that can be cartoonish or sumptuous, this anthology really runs the gamut. I read this around ten years ago and it's as good or better than the first time around!
DC
Sep 20, 2015 DC rated it really liked it
I liked this volume overall. The little one-off stories aren't super in-depth, but can be a lot of fun. The varied art styles were nice to see, too. The more serious pieces had a style to match, and the cartoony art went well with the humorous pieces.

I'm excited that there's a bit more Legends EU I haven't read yet, and I'll be continuing with this series.
Vanya
Jan 23, 2015 Vanya rated it really liked it
Loved the snippets of stories outside the Star Wars movie franchise. My favorite story was Skippy the Jedi Droid and A Death Star was Born. I enjoyed reading droid Jedis and the funny antics of the Empire!
Michael
This book was okay. For the most part I did not find them very well written though in some cases the base story was mildly interesting. The art was always interesting. I really would not recommend this book.
Martina
Nov 30, 2013 Martina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Любимата ми история е A Death Star is born. Още рева от смях на нея! Заслужава си да ги имаш на хартия. Арта е невероятен, жалко че Артлайн май спряха да ги внасят или не знам какво стана, но им изгубих следите, като затвориха магазина на Солунска :(
Ratforce
If you like Star Wars, check out this graphic novel collection! It contains short stories based on both the original trilogy and the prequels. They range from serious to silly, and all are illustrated by a different artist. There are six volumes in the series; read them in any order you like!
Jason Stalides
Fun and in some cases well done stories. Makes me wish the new EU wasn't so cannon obsessed. It was fun to see authors just run with an idea that was part of the Star Wars mythos but not constrained by cannon.
Kelly K
Jan 16, 2015 Kelly K rated it liked it
No set time period. The stories were scattered throughout the timeline.

A few of these stories were greatly amusing. My favorites were "Skippy the Jedi Droid" and "The Making of a Death Star". Some were just okay and others were about a few characters I don't know too much about.
Mathew Carruthers
Feb 07, 2012 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
Fun collection of entertaining Star Wars stories from different writers and artists. A little adventure, a little excitement, a little humor - probably worth your time if you haven't read it.
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Star Wars Tales is the BEST SW COMIC SERIES. It is made of win and genius.
Daniel
May 25, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it
Most of the stories were great.
Nate
Jan 24, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for a parallel universe

Some good stories,some bad ones. Over all not too terrible and recommend it when it goes on sale. Remember none of it counts as official stories.
Delisa
Jan 09, 2016 Delisa rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! Definitely going to read the next book in the series!
Jul 07, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Simply amazing, made me want to read the whole series of Tales comics, which I am currently trying to do!
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Star Wars Tales Volume 1 1 2 Jan 07, 2016 08:42PM
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 4: Light and Dark
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 2: Victories and Sacrifices
  • Star Wars Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Volume 1: Commencement
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Star Wars: Dark Times, Volume One: Path to Nowhere
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
  • Union (Star Wars)

Star Wars Tales (6 books)
  • Star Wars Tales - Volume 2