Accidents: A Novel

Accidents: A Novel

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For Shira Klein, Yonatan Luria, and his daughter, Dana, it is winter--winter at work, winter among friends, winter at home, and winter of the heart. Yonatan is a marginal writer, a fifty-year-old widower left to raise his child alone. When he meets Shira, a bestselling author paralyzed by stage fright, the thaw begins as man, woman, and girl enter a halting relationship, a...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Picador (first published September 1st 2005)

M
It's possible and indeed probable that my issues with this novel were spurned more by a lousy translation than its actual flaws, but I have to work with what I have so here goes.
My husband asked me what the book I was in the middle of was about. I said, a widower who is raising a ten year old daughter and meets a love interest. And that was at page 170. Apparently Hedaya's style is to tell ALL and I do mean all. What's more, she does it like this:
Yonatan asked Shira if she wanted eggs. Shira sai...more
Gail
No matter how hard I tried to stay awake ... I kept falling asleep while reading this book ... and worse still, having to reread the same passages to start over again.

This doesn't happen often ... but I didn't finish it and closed the book for the last time.
Bev
I found this brilliant in knowing what some people think and say: 1) In the investigation of relationships - uncanny how she is able to find the right words in the right place. 2) Dana, the child even had some incredible insights for as young as she was, but they fit for me with single parent girls in their early teens. 3) Being with someone you care about, as they die, were often spot on too. I am glad I read it, even though it took way to long to get through. I haven't been to Israel in a very...more
Rakesh
one of the most insightful books into human nature and romance that i have ever read. hedaya, who was a lead writer for the israeli version of "in treatment," has an absolutely astonishing gift for dialogue and conveying the interior monologues that run through her characters' minds while in the midst of conversation. heartbreaking, eye-opening, and gorgeously written. also, the look at modern-day tel aviv schooled me thoroughly in how cosmopolitan and western-influenced that city has become.
Tim
It always surprises me when books about fairly ordinary lives enthral me but this was definitely the case with this book (perhaps I'm just naturally voyeuristic). I loved the ease with which the author stepped into different lives and managed to see the world through so many different viewpoints with ease. It's also great to read a book where people with normal emotions, doubts and flaws fall in love and actually have sex without having perfect bodies.
Abbey
A really interesting ensemble novel that explores the relationships between people. The story focuses on a widower, his daughter and their life together. That life changes when the widower falls in love and 'accidently' their lives become something completely different. I enjoyed the book but didn't find it to be spectaculor.
Neelz
A "slow-motion" book about a widowed Israeli author and his precocious 10-year-old daughter trying to make it work after the death of his wife. Enter fellow depressive author Shira. The emotions feel authentic, but the story draaaaags.
Dave
A very pleasant surprise. I picked this up cold off a table at the library and it was a sophisticated treatment of the relationship between a widower, his new girlfriend, and his daughter. Definitely worth the time.
Nancy
Just could not get into the characters or care about what happened to them. After reading 100 pages I gave up.
Ruth Sloviter
Author's first novel. Needs more editing to tighten the story. Her subsequent novel "Eden" was a better effort.
Jen
Well, I couldn't finish it but I got through about half. I downgraded the stars from four to three.
Lauren
I am excited to read this - it was written in Hebrew and has been translated...
JLDzerens
Torturous to get through... so long and so slow...
Samantha Tardiff
Samantha Tardiff is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Sharon
Sharon added it
Jun 06, 2014
Günter Wahl
Günter Wahl marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Jess Gafkowitz
Jess Gafkowitz marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Danny Girl
Danny Girl marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eden Housebroken: Three Novellas Liebe Pur Zusammenstöße. Eine Liebesgeschichte Teunot (Sifriyah la-am)