Start by marking “Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body: Spiritual Encouragement for Older Adults” as Want to Read:

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An exploration of the inner life shared by many persons in nursing homes and retirement centers.
Published May 1st 2008 by Upper Room Books

To ask other readers questions about Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body

Keiki Hendrix
“Not your normal devotional and written in first person, this devotional is a gem revealing the heart of the author and her up-close-and-personal walk with God.”

Want to read the personal thoughts and reflections of a woman comfortable in conversations with God? Are you moving into your golden years and want to read some encouraging words from someone who can identify? If so, Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body: Spiritual Encouragement for Older Adults by Missy Buchanan delivers.

What caught my
NancyL Luckey
I read this book to see if it would be suitable for my 92-year old mother who is in an assisted-living home. It was not only suitable, it was written for her. One of the meditations "Homesick" begins, "Homesick at 92?" which is exactly what she seems to be. There's one called "Worrywart" and one called "Doubt" in which she could see herself.
If you have a loved one in a nursing home, this is the book for you.
I have a mother who is in assisted living, so I find this book very practical and definitely appropriate and real for the elderly living in the different facilities or even at home alone. For the Christian elderly, the chapter on “What purpose, God?” would resonate for them at this advanced age. I have a niece, who dotes on her grandmother, so the “Granddaughter” chapter would aptly apply. Mail. We all look for mail. Especially us women! Even more so for the elderly, thus the chapter, “Mail.”

Aug 08, 2008 Tangoswithtext rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elderly; those suffering from chonic illness; those who love either of the former
Recommended to Tangoswithtext by: Guideposts
I picked this book up wondering if it would be good for my grandmother, who is nearly blind, lives at home with diabetes, and is dependent on the care of her children. The poetry is in plain speech, in large print, and centers on issues that the chronically ill face: nursing homes, feeling lonely, wearing sensible shoes, etc. My grandmother, who hasn't been to church in many years, would smile as I read the poems and verses from the bible that are meant to voice the issues of the elderly and enc ...more
Susan B
A collection of devotionals for senior adults, I found each entry an unexpected delight. The author is lyrical and minimal in her prose and quickly gets to the heart of each subject. Examples of topics covered include sleep, clutter, friendship, reduced mobility, diet, etc.

I was a bit disappointed that there were only 41 devotionals, however. It's unfortunate the author couldn't have produced 365, one for each day of the year. It might have made for a large and too heavy book for the target audi
Gina Whitlock
I wish I had found this book while my mom was living, I could have read it to her. It's a spiritual book that could be of help to the elderly if they are religious.
J. Ewbank
Hate to think of ourselves as growing older, but we are. All of us are but we don't think about it until we get into our 60 or 70's probably.

This is a good book which provides an abaundance of information and thoughtful Christian experiences for those among us who are growing older.

I enjoyed the book because it spoke to me, one who is getting older. The body is not entirely worn-out, but it's going that way.

A Good Read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
A very short book in large print. It's a great read for the elderly or anyone who wants to know more about the elderly. I like ordinary days, doubts, and aging well the most. Aging well really sums up what we all strive for being a Christian. "God, I believe you intend that aging well is not about appearance or quick recall. To age well is to bend my will to yours." (Page 92)
Jody Guerrera
Jody Guerrera marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Kelly Merricks
Kelly Merricks marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Ron marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Andja Seka
Andja Seka marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Lee marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Joan Verhoef
Joan Verhoef marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Linda Duffie
Linda Duffie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Shelley marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
John Cofield
John Cofield marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
appropriate gift? 1 1 Jan 29, 2015 11:14PM
Missy Buchanan is the author several books, all relating to aging and faith: Living with Purpose in a Worn-Out Body, Talking with God in Old Age, Don't Write my Obituary Just Yet, and Aging Faithfully (all published by Upper Room Books.) She is also the co-author of My Story, My Song: Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith along with 87 year-old Lucimarian Roberts and her daughter, Robin Ro ...more
More about Missy Buchanan...
My Story, My Song - Mother-Daughter Reflections on Life and Faith Talking with God in Old Age: Meditations and Psalms Don't Write My Obituary Just Yet: Inspiring Faith Stories for Older Adults Joy Boosters: 120 Ways to Encourage Older Adults Voices of Aging: Adult Children and Aging Parents Talk with God