Star Wars Encyclopedia

Star Wars Encyclopedia

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  718 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea...more
Published July 16th 1998 by Virgin Books

Stephen
4.0 stars. A very good reference to all things "Star Wars" whether from the movies, comics, cartoons or books. You can tell that the author spent a lot of time puting this work together and it shows. Well thought out and informative.
Nathan
As a huge Star Wars nerd, I was thrilled by the depth of detail offered in the Star Wars Encyclopedia. Everything that occured in the Star Wars universe prior to its publication (everything approved by George Lucas, anyway)is given a mention at the very least. Backstory is provided on a number of distant-past issues that really ought to be fleshed out with their own books someday.

The internal consistency is very high--not as difficult as might be expected, given the requirement of direct approva...more
C. R. Powers
A Star Wars info dump, eh.
Jrossi
Nov 11, 2008 Jrossi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
The secret to my seemingly unending knowledge of the Star Wars Universe . . . well that and having seen each of the movies about three and half brazillion times.

A little dated now that Eps I, II, and III are out on DVD, but for the older information it is still great to thumb through. I think I have read it cover to cover, but not straight through. It tends to be a "poopin" book.
Starr
This book is now "dated" as the story has continued past it. However, it is full of information about ancillary characters, worlds and devices. Also, whenever the prequels get me down or a new book doesn't live up to my expectations. I can always pretend that all that is and ever was Star Wars is in this book and I feel better.
Tgaylord
As long as the Star Wars Universe continues to expand, no encyclopedia will ever be "complete", but this is a great reference book, though not as helpful as far as cross-references, sourcing data, and other tools that prior Star Wars reference books have provided.
Jonny Blaze
Contains every Star Wars fact of video and print media up to it's point of release. Everything you could possibly want to know from every major character to some of the most minor/fleeting.

I highly recommend this book set to all Star Wars fans!
Khairul H.
This was a good book back in the day. Unfortunately, the prequels have made it obsolete and it sorely needs an update. Still, by itself it is a very good reference book for SW nerds like me.
Ismail menasterly
this book is great because it shows everything from the star wars universe, including characters, battles and games that were made from it,
it is a good book for people who like fantasy.
Alex Robinson
Too much expanded universe bullshit, and written before the prequels so a lot of it isn't even "real" anymore. I'm a dork.
Abraham Ray
finished the first volume,it was great!
hope to finish this series before I have to return the whole thing to the liabrary.
Trevor
It was very informational, but only includes the original three movies. (Nothing from the Old Republic days.)
Shane Cormier
Perfect book for those who want to know more about the depths of the Star Wars Universe.
Natasha
It's a funny concept, but it is truly an amazing guide to the vas world of Star Wars!
Patrick
Taught me everything I've needed to know in life.
Thomas
Very concise and complete as of publishing.
Isaac
Jun 29, 2007 Isaac rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves star wars and needs to know more about it
Shelves: favorites
Made even better with the essential chronologies.
Ahmed Alsodfy
its awsome becuse i love star wars
Jojono
This book was Droopy McCool!
Joshua
Nov 16, 2007 Joshua rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1998 Josh Kerney.
Heck-of!
Lewis
Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Danielle Driggs
Danielle Driggs marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nicole Tuttle
Nicole Tuttle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Star Wars:  The New Essential Chronology
  • Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters
  • Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
  • Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
  • Star Wars: The Essential Atlas
  • Star Wars:  The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
  • Star Wars: The Magic of Myth
  • The Making of Star Wars (Star Wars:  The Making of, #1)
  • A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
  • Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 1
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives
20019
Sansweet was born and educated in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. He studied at Temple University from 1962 to 1966, majoring in journalism. Three years after graduating, in 1969, he began work as a reporter at the Wall Street Journal in both Philadelphia and Montreal. He was promoted to deputy bureau chief in 1984, and later the chief of Wall Street Journal's Los Angeles bureau in 1987. In February 19...more
More about Stephen J. Sansweet...
The Star Wars Vault: Thirty Years of Treasures from the Lucasfilm Archives, With Removable Memorabilia and Two Audio CDs The Quotable Star Wars The Star Wars Poster Book Star Wars: 1,000 Collectibles: Memorabilia and Stories from a Galaxy Far, Far Away Star Wars: From Concept to Screen to Collectible