Start by marking “Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales

Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino and Other Tales (Star Wars: Clone Wars #1)

For 25 years, fans have wondered about the Clone Wars. With the release of Episode II, audiences witnessed the events that started that epic conflict. Starting this year, LucasBooks is chronicling these historic events through comics, adult novels, middle grade fiction, audio books, short stories, and more - revealing the all-important events that occur between Episodes II ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Dark Horse Books (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Sep 19, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it

22 BBY

The first of 9 total compiled volumes for the Clone Wars holds the stories "Republic 49: Sacrifice," "Republic 50: The Defense of Kamino," and "Jedi: Mace Windu," in that consecutive order. "Sacrifice" features the Jedi Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos, who are seeking out information on the Separatist's plans. "The Defense of Kamino" features the events of the title, defending Kamino. on of the last cloning facilities left, Kenobi and Skywalker, among other Jedi and their armies, defend the
Jun 01, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
A solid, sometimes strong start both marred and strengthened by the choice to present shorter stories rather than ongoing arcs, also the structure chosen by the Clone Wars animated series that frustrates sometimes. It's really nice jumping around The clone Wars and taking a look at what different Jedi, clone troopers or Separatists are up to and when it works it's fine indeed. Mace Windu's story is the definite highlight of this volume - it's longer so that helps it shine - an intriguing tale in ...more
Feb 09, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I am a star wars fan (along with many others) so if these stories are not for you then sadly I suggest you move on and look else where normal reviews will resume shortly -
that said I will admit that I have long since wondered what really happened in the clone wars - yes there was the animated film and the subsequent tv series but there were so many question raised and left unanswered between the films - I always felt that the first 3 films (episodes VI to IV) were tighter and hard their stor
Aug 19, 2012 Yves rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars, bd, sf
Après la sortie de l'épisode II, la série Republic est devenue Clone Wars. Le premier tome commence lorsque Quinlan Vos et Aalya Secura mettent la main sur des informations disant que les Séparatistes vont attaquer Kamino, la planète qui produit les clones. Le reste du livre raconte la bataille dans laquelle les Jedi sont présent pour défendre la planète.

On a droit à un bon livre rempli d'action avec des beaux dessins et une bonne histoire. On peut suivre Quinlan Vos, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skyw
Aug 28, 2009 Roberta rated it really liked it
A series of books in a compilation. The best of the group is probably the tale Schism. Perhaps it is because I'm partial to Mace Windu, but the story about a schism in the Jedi is intriguing, and it makes sense to me. How can the Jedi blindly support a corrupt Republic which allows slavery and exploitation of alien species to exist? This story answers that question. Also, it is nice to see some of the characters who later show up in Dark Times prior to Order 66.

Well done. Thus far, anything I've
Oct 30, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
This comic series saved the prequel movies as far as my opinion of them goes. They fleshed out main characters by giving them more complex personalities and thoughts and feelings (Anakin especially), and fleshed out characters that only appeared briefly in the movies (yes, I know in some cases the comics came first). The Mace Windu story is especially good as it presents the possibility of Jedi who are against the war and deciding to not choose sides. There's some good writing there.
May 12, 2008 angrykitty rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2008, its-tv
i'm a total star wars nerd. obviously this is almost a no brainer. hopefully the series is good. i have been spending a bit on comics lately though, so it might be better if i don't get into the series....

the first story is ok, but you can tell it's not lucas telling these stories....

not great....pretty sure i'm not gonna continue with these. as big of a star wars nerd as i am...this just isn't worth the effort.
Marta Dulce Și Gavina
Mar 10, 2015 Marta Dulce Și Gavina rated it really liked it
Quinlan Vos and Mace Windu parts have well thought plots, especially the Mace Windu one, where the lack of unanimity in the Order is interestingly handled and Sith intrigues are just like I love them, intelligent, devious and politically circuitous. I liked how friendship of Obi-Wan with Quinlan was presented and the interactions of Obi-Wan and Anakin mark well their irrevocably changing relationship.
Jeffrey Jelmeland
This first one was simply ok, and certainly not great. I know that I have never read the stories before and I have not watched the animated series, but it felt like I had seen all of this before. I got about halfway through the book before I simply closed it and decided I was done. It didn't feel fresh and new and certainly wasn't drawing me into the story. Maybe the later books in the series will be a different story...
Nov 16, 2010 steven rated it really liked it
The art is beautiful, and it's always nice to see Jedi in action. The introduction of Ventriss is handled well, and the possible schism of those Jedi who did not wish to fight in a war is something I hadn't considered before. Perhaps not canon anymore due to the work Tom Hodges and others are doing with the Clone Wars cartoon, but an excellent read.
Aug 21, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Set after Episode 2, this shows the jedi at the beginning of the clone wars. Some jedi have spy rings whereas others do not like what the Republic are doing. Theres some nice character bits here, particularly with Mace Windu, Anakin and the spymaster jedi. The schism storyline really stood out too. A good read.
Nov 26, 2014 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
I love Jedis, but unfortunately since we all know how the clone wars end, they never really seem to accomplish much or end up looking like clueless knuckle heads.

The comic stories based on the Clone Wars cartoon were much better.
Michael Rudzki
Mar 21, 2015 Michael Rudzki rated it really liked it
An interesting series which picks up soon after the Battle of Geonosis at the end of Episode II. In this volume, the struggle of Jedi to come to terms with becoming generals of the Clone Army is examined and Mace Windu gets to show us his stuff!
Stephanie Ricker
I gotta say, this comic book had oodles more character development than the prequels did, which is a little sad. If Episode II had been more like this book, I would’ve thought more highly of it. Pretty sad when the movie is more comic bookish than the comic book.
M Pereira
Not bad. I liked schism a lot and the one about jango fett. I'm reading this series in 2012 long after ROTS and after finishing a few series of TCW so this does look a bit dated, but it is nice to see a time line for this war.
Dannie Stockman
Oct 05, 2013 Dannie Stockman rated it it was amazing
Takes place between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. This entire series of Clone Wars trade paperbacks are an important part of Star Wars history fully documented in full color graphic novels. A must read and highly recommended for ANY Clone Wars fan.
Dec 11, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
Artwork was stark and interesting (except Anakin often looked weird). Storylines were a bit more complex than expected, but not as complex as I had hoped for. 4 stars were partially because of a soft spot for Star Wars
Feb 15, 2016 Zuzana rated it liked it
Quinlan Vos. YAY!!! The Battle of Kamino (slightly different than in the Clone Wars TV series). Mace Windu and a bunch of dissident Jedi.
Jul 16, 2012 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
It was fine. Short stories, little in the way of character or big ideas -- probably just for Star Wars nerds.
Nicole R
Entertaining and suspenseful, but also a bit rushed and slightly cliched. Considering it cover s clone wars battles, it's not good to rush them
Apr 09, 2012 Justin rated it liked it
The story is pretty good but there are many different things happening in. I will have to read the rest of them. So far it's pretty good.
Cem Binboğa
Cem Binboğa rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Ian rated it really liked it
May 02, 2008
Dr. Hugo
Dr. Hugo rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Julio rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
D. Blaine
D. Blaine rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2008
Arwen rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Pedro rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Jason Pennock
Jason Pennock rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 1: Betrayal
  • Star Wars: Rebellion, Vol. 1: My Brother, My Enemy
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 3
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Sith War (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #6)
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • By the Emperor's Hand (Star Wars: Mara Jade)
  • Tales of the Jedi: The Collection (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #3)
John Ostrander is an American writer of comic books. He is best known for his work on Suicide Squad, Grimjack and Star Wars: Legacy, series he helped create.

Originally an actor in a Chicago theatre company, Ostrander moved into writing comics in 1983. His first published works were stories about the character "Sargon, Mistress of War", who appeared the First Comics series Warp!, based on a series
More about John Ostrander...

Star Wars: Clone Wars (9 books)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 2: Victories and Sacrifices