Start by marking “Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species

Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species (Star Wars: Essential Guides)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Discover who’s who and what’s what in the Star Wars universe with this beautifully illustrated guide–now in full color for the first time.

When it comes to extraterrestrial life-forms, there’s more to science fiction’s most famous galaxy than just Jawas, Wookiees, Ewoks, and Hutts. From the skylanes of Coruscant to the worlds of the Outer Rim, an untold number of species p
Published October 31st 2006 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Darren Vincent
Jul 14, 2015 Darren Vincent rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
Not the best in this series.

I have read quite a few of the Star Wars informational books and been quite entertained. I thought that this one was going to be another in that series. In actuality, it is my least favorite.

Why? I guess I was hoping to find some well thought out back story or history into some of the characters/species that would make this universe more interesting. What I got was some history of individual species specially tailored to validate one single member of the species bein
Parka
Dec 05, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movies

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Seems like the book had an earlier edition. Well, this 2006 edition now adds a full-colour illustration for each of the species. The art looks good, and that was what attracted me in the first place.

The book certainly looks quite comprehensive, with coverage for all six Star Wars movies. There's plenty to read and muse about. There are species traits, habitat and sometimes even their pronunciation. It provides the background to better understand the universe.

The
Roth
Jun 29, 2014 Roth rated it liked it
It was ok. It was very imaginative but lacked uniform detail. For example: they only mention the life span of a few races where they should have done that for all of them... Overall, it was entertaining, just not enough so to justify any more than three stars.
RumBelle
Feb 04, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a fantastic reference book. Little known alien species and ones we are all familiar with are detailed here. The art is stunning and the information highly interesting. The book details facts about the aliens, their home planets, their customs and more. It is written as a nature guide might be written, which only adds another layer to the narrative.
James
Nov 20, 2011 James rated it really liked it
The book is effectively what it claims to be; i.e., a guide to alien species in the Star Wars universe. Each major species is given a relatively detailed synopsis, a full color illustration, and a block of essential data on the species. The authors have taken major species, facts, and events from the entire spectrum of Star Wars media including the films, novels, and comics.

The only flaws in the book are several typos and the occasional discrepancy between the illustration and the written descri
Revan97
Mar 21, 2014 Revan97 rated it really liked it
I have used Star Wars The New Essential Guide To Alien Species as a resource many times to understand who or what, where and how many characters look like, come from, behave and so forth. In my opinion every illustration is a masterpiece. The info provided is extensive and accurate. However, the reason for the four star rating is the same as why many guides get the same rating from me: This guide is already seriously lacking in its selection of species. Various new beings have been introduced in ...more
Duane
May 08, 2008 Duane rated it really liked it
This is a great resource guide for any Star Wars fan. I read it from cover to cover and learned so much. I finally get to see some of the characters I've read so much about. It's a great companion book to have as you read or watch any of the Star Wars genre. I love this book.
Matt
Jan 30, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
This was a great reference for the many different species exhibited in the Star Wars galaxy. Though, I would really like to see an updated version. Since then, there have been a multitude of new species that have been brought up in the novels.
Theresa
Feb 21, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a great collection of facts and information of the series
Jessica
Aug 26, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: 2012
This is a very good resource for Star Wars fans.
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
William Gressman
William Gressman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Zachary Swift
Zachary Swift rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Brian
Brian added it
Jan 30, 2016
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Marissa
Marissa rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
dustin davidson
dustin davidson rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Dann
Dann marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Henry
Henry rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Luca Moroni
Luca Moroni marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Johannes Andersson
Johannes Andersson marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
  • Star Wars:  The Essential Chronology
  • The Wildlife of Star Wars
  • Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters
  • Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
  • Incredible Cross-Sections of Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide to Star Wars Vehicles and Spacecraft
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 10: Extremes
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
  • Destroyer (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #8)

Star Wars: Essential Guides (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters