Start by marking “Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool” as Want to Read:
Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool

Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109) was one of the originators of medieval scholastic philosophy. This collection of his best-known philosophical works contains, among other things, the Proslogium, in which Anselm first put forward the famous ontological argument for the existence of God. Also included are Gaunilo of Maurmoutier's criticism of Anselm's argument and Anselm's r ...more
Published December 30th 1998 by Open Court

Be the first to ask a question about Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool

booklady
Apr 21, 2010 booklady marked it as to-read
If I just get to read the Proslogium, I'll think I did well. The introduction is awesome! Here it is:
“Insignificant man, rise up! Flee your preoccupations for a little while. Hide yourself for a time from your turbulent thoughts. Cast aside, now, your heavy responsibilities and put off your burdensome business. Make a little space free for God; and rest for a little time in him.

Enter the inner chamber of your mind; shut out all thoughts. Keep only thought of God, and thoughts that can aid you i
Krista Dominguez
I am writing a research paper on the ontological argument, and so I picked up this edition of Anselm's works. The argument has piqued my interest, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Anselm's original as well as Plantinga's version (who I believe sealed the argument against all its objectors).
Walt
Feb 23, 2009 Walt rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Medieval Philosophy is not exactly portrayed correctly in the movies. These selected writings tried to make their thoughts and concerns more "attractive" to modern readers. Make no mistake, this is a difficult reading in philosophy; not a humorous overview of Anselm.
Emily
Sep 04, 2010 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was a Benedictine Monk's discourse on the existence of God. It was hard and most of it went over my head truthfully. Some parts reminded me of Psalms in the Bible,(which was appropriate as he quoted Psalms several times).
Crystal
It was nice to read this not because I HAD to (Foundation Year program, King's College, 1993) ... but because I wanted to.

"God is that which no greater can be conceived."
Suz
Nov 07, 2007 Suz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gb, christian
This was a really good book! Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to read it really carefully, so I would really like to go back over it again.
Natalie Brooke
Oct 31, 2011 Natalie Brooke rated it it was amazing
Random fact: read the Proslogium while listening to the Inception soundtrack earlier this fall. A very good combination...
Lucrecia
Oct 20, 2012 Lucrecia rated it it was amazing
Es emocionante leer a una mente tan clara. La mejor demostración racional de que Dios es uno en tres personas distintas.
Mark Robert
Nov 18, 2015 Mark Robert rated it really liked it
This was my first reading of Anselm after over twenty five years out of seminary. It almost like reading a prayer.
Courtney
Wolff, Robert Paul
Ten Great Works of Philosophy

In compilation only.
Shanamadele
Jun 07, 2007 Shanamadele added it
Shelves: religion
Proslogium only. Not that I remember any of it. But just for the record.
Daniel Alvers
Jul 27, 2011 Daniel Alvers rated it really liked it
Anselm was a brilliant thinker with a few crazy problems.
Matt
Sep 18, 2009 Matt is currently reading it
The ultimate response to the Jehovah's Witnesses. I love Saint Anselm.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: theology
None
Adam Wiktor
Adam Wiktor marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Stefan Ansinger
Stefan Ansinger marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Katy Morrison
Katy Morrison rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Nathan
Nathan added it
May 11, 2016
Del Herman
Del Herman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Elisa F.
Elisa F. marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Logan Borges
Logan Borges marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Joy Gonnerman
Joy Gonnerman marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Jeff Van
Jeff Van rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Fernanda
Fernanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
  • Shorter Summa: Saint Thomas's Own Concise Version of His Summa Theologica
  • The End of Christendom
  • Ten Great Works of Philosophy
  • The Philosopher's Handbook: Essential Readings from Plato to Kant
  • Jonathan Edwards on Beauty
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume III: From the Protestant Reformation to the Twentieth Century
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • John Wesley
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • On Religion: Speeches to Its Cultured Despisers
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • On Loving God
  • The Rise of Western Christendom: Triumph & Diversity 200–1000
Saint Anselm of Canterbury (c.1033 - 1109), also called Anselm of Aosta after his birthplace and Anselm of Bec after his monastery, was a Benedictine monk, philosopher, and prelate of the Church, who held the office of Archbishop of Canterbury from 1093 to 1109. Called the founder of scholasticism, he has been a major influence in Western theology and is famous as the originator of the ontological ...more
More about Anselm of Canterbury...